Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Gasser Pattern Spad Plane

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Gasser Pattern Spad Plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:40 AM
plasticmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasser Pattern Spad Plane

Here's my new plane. I flew it again (2nd time) yesterday and it flies great. Knife edge is almost as easy as straight and level flight. It takes almost no rudder to hold knife edge. Wingspan is 72" and length from prop to tip of rudder is 76". It weighs slightly over 11 pounds. It's got the Homelite 30cc converted to gas/glow. Notice that there is no flywheel. It's running pretty good, but I think I have a fuel tank issue going on. It wanted to deadstick about 6 minutes into the flight every time and it still had over a half tank of fuel left in it. Also, I think I need to rebuild the carb and put in a new glow plug. That should really make it run good. As it is, I'm getting 7700rpm with an APC 18x6W. I need to add more stickers to it. It still looks like a mostly white airplane in the air and is not quite as visible as I would like it to be. It's made of 2mil coro except for the control surfaces and tail feathers which are 4mil.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19131.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1078128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65565.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1078129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55528.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1078130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79091.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1078131  
Old 11-24-2008, 08:57 AM
draftman1

Default RE: Gasser Pattern Spad Plane

thats a very nice plane Mke sure you post that on spadworld.net the guys there would like to see it.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 AM
jib

Nice - Are the plans posted anywhere. I'm just about done with a SPA3DT build and ready to do a gasser build and looks and sounds pretty nice.

jack
Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 AM
plasticmaster

There are no real plans as I sort of designed it as I built it. I did not take any pictures during the build. If you take Chris's Ultra Stick plans and stretch the fuse longer between the wing and tail, that will get you most of the way there. I did not use any gutter downspout, whereas I believe Chris did. The tail feathers are a different shape. Then you will need to craft a turtle deck and canopy. It would fly without the turtle deck and canopy as these are not structurally important to the way I built it. They do however add to the aircrafts flight capabilities if that makes sense. The wing spar is a latice strip about 2" in the center tapering to about 1.25" at the tips.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Villa

Hi plasticmaster
A very nice build. The wing seems to be more forward than usual. Is that because of the heavy engine up front? I'm not familiar with gas engines.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:07 PM
jib

Yup, I'm familiar with Chris' Ultras Stick build.

Thanks and again, nice build,

Jack
Old 11-28-2008, 10:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That's very nice! You are the Plastic Master!