Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

First Spad Combat

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Spad Combat

I flew my first combat this Sunday with my 40 size DPS and It was a blast!!!!!!! Even though I was badly out flown and lost my rudder in the process, I am now hopelessly hooked!! But this leads me into what I really want to talk about.

I am 48 years old and have been flying RC aircraft for 1 1/2 years, and I have learned more about recovering from disorientation, snaps, bad takeoff's, bad landings, and generally screwing up while flying in the last 3 weeks with my DPS than I could have in a year of flying balsa!!

I would suggest to any new flyer who is coming off a trainer and looking for second plane take a little time and build a Spad. It cost very little money, teaches building skills, and you can learn piloting skills at very little cost. If you crash it straighten out the wing, put some new rubber bands on it and fly again!!

(I know somebody will flame me on the above statement)

I fly balsa and will always fly balsa, but why trash three ARF's to learn what you can learn on one $10.00 Spad.

One more note, the instructions on Spad to the Bone for the DPS are right on, I had to build a second DPS because I thought I knew more than they did "WRONG". Build it by the instructions and it will fly great!!!

Love Balsa but will continue to fly SPAD's and Balsa.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:23 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks HOOTER for your post - and a big WELCOME to the crazy world of SPADs!!!!

Your post says a bunch - enjoy your SPAD's - and enjoy your balsa planes - that sounds pretty easy!

Glad to hear that you are having a blast!
Old 06-24-2003, 01:39 AM

Ha, your preaching to the converted on this forum, why not post this over at say the beginners forum
Old 06-24-2003, 09:21 AM

HOOTER,

sounds like you've got yourself a winner !

welcome aboard,

~flyer~

PS as for flaming : we do all that on our corro !
Old 06-24-2003, 01:59 PM

Kraut,

What is the IBS? Is there a secret brotherhood that mabey I could join? Do you have a secret handshake? Do you take bribes?

Bob
Old 06-25-2003, 04:08 AM

IBS

International Brothehood of SPAD

yep your already one by posting here, it's open to any one and we all take bribes (money, booze, freebies, girls, oops who said that)
Old 06-25-2003, 03:06 PM

well alrighty then can I get a IBS number?

Woodsy, you are entitled to all of the bribes that you listed but you will have to come and pick them up. I do not think that I can get the girl, you will have to find that one by yourself.

The Tank
Old 06-26-2003, 01:34 AM

I think the Wife might have something to say about that

You use your registration No# from the other SPAD forum
Old 06-26-2003, 11:52 PM

Well I was flying the other SPAD in HOOTER's combat story. What a gas! I'm hooked on this as well. The durability of these litlle critters is to good to be true. I want an IBS number to, who do I pay??

The downside: I cannot take the credit for chompin' off HOOTER's rudder. This combat thing is a lot harder than it looks. We're thinking we're about to collide and one of the "gallery" hollers that we need to actuall get in closer to cut the other's streamer. Well, I yelled for him to come fly mine! He did. An experienced bat combatter and probably the best pilot in our club. I tossed him my Tx and after making about 20 seconds worth of moves with my DPS, it was ON!!! Jimmy didn't last long. My plane was dead sticked upright like it ran out of fuel, with only a knick in the fuse and leading edge and about 3 feet of streamer wrapped around the gear and fuse.

The upside: What a GAS! What a GAS! What a GAS! Jimmy and I need to go to school on this combat thing. What a GAS!

I can't wait to get that good! No pinch hitters for me anymore.
I'll collect my own rudder's and streamers from now on. I'll wear 'em around my neck!

HOOKED!

C-YA