Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Holy cow! Have you seen Kraut's new gasser?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Holy cow! Have you seen Kraut's new gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 11:18 AM
Tattoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy cow! Have you seen Kraut's new gasser?

He out did himself this time! He said he's got about 10 hours worth of work and about $30 to build this plane.

More on this airplane here:

http://spadworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=3887&start=0
Old 06-30-2003, 11:34 AM
nukes

Wow,

Nice plane kraut.

If the ends of the wings were not open, I would not have even thought it was a spad. That one should definitly have a place in RC Report.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:41 PM
DeBearSteve

Oh! look it has a Lifting Stab, really a nice touch. Probably not very heavy either I bet. Nice plane Kraut!, a real 10.

"A murmur of awe runs through the onlooking crowd!"

DeBear
Old 06-30-2003, 04:20 PM
thudriver

I am viewing the lifting stab with trepidation! Won't it lift the tail more with every speed increase. I think symetrical would be better. Ah well I will cross my fingers! Hope I'm wrong! thudriver
Old 06-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Wow, that is great!!! I love the airfoiled Horizontal, too cool!!!

You keep raising the standards and we'll never pass the teast!

Gordo
Old 06-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Kraut
My Feedback: (1)

thudriver - I am not too worried about the tail - the Hobby-Lobby Telemaster has a flatbottomed, airfoil tail and it seems to work for them!

Old 06-30-2003, 05:58 PM
Tattoo

Exhibit A--Kraut put his engine upsidedown

Exhibit B--High lift flat bottomed horizontal stab

Conclusion--Kraut plans to spend a LOT of time inverted!
Old 06-30-2003, 06:52 PM
thudriver

Sorry Kraut, what do you expect from a new guy! Being a hopeless analytical, I still don't see how it could work. Y'all be carefull heah! thudriver
Old 06-30-2003, 08:18 PM
ChrisSpad

Thud,

Don't feel bad, i thought exactly the same thing you did. Even pm'ed Kraut about it. He told me the same thing, and, the Tele's work, so, i think it'll be fine. the more i think about it, the cg will probably tolerate being a bit further back than it would otherwise. Either that, or its gonna nose down with speed. Time will tell.
I sure hope it works, though. Its so much easier to mount the flat bottomed to the fuse than symmetrical, like mine all are.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:16 AM
MalaysianFlyer

HOLY STICK!!!!
Old 07-01-2003, 01:37 PM
ifly-RCU

Default can we get some specs?

wow, thats an awsome gasser, what engine?
ws? length?
Old 07-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Kraut

The wingspan is 80", length is 67" (tip of spinner to end of rudder), the engine is a converted Ryobi 32cc weedeater - swinging an 18 x 6 prop @ 7100 rpm (still not broken in yet), AUW is app 13 1/2 pounds - with a wingloading of app 24 1/2 oz sq/ft.

Plans are forthcoming - provided that the planes flies good!!! We'll know more on Friday - planning on getting the maiden flight in then. I'll keep you all posted! Thanks so much for the kind words!
Old 07-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Tattoo

I'll let Kraut tell you all about how this awesome bird flies...but in the mean time...here's a couple pics

Old 07-04-2003, 08:31 PM
FrankC29

When it comes to showing off Spad's scale abilities, Kraut always comes through. Now he's crossed over into big boy land, look out!

It seems lately that Tattoo and Kraut are always batting a thousand with their experiments. Tattoo says, "Let me try this stepped airfoil thingy, you never know". Result, a 3D masterpiece. Kraut, the coro artist extraordinaire, pumps out one scale Spad after another, all fantastic, all flying great. What is it with these guys! My experiments rarely turn out this well!!!

I guess 5 years of non-stop experience might have play a small part, huh? I hope you guys don't change hobbies, we'll have to roadtrip it to Kansas and straighten you out good.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Kraut

Default Gasser Ultra SPADStick flight report

Well - Dean and Jan and I just got back from the field a bit ago after completing the maiden voyage of the Ultra SPADStick - and I am happy to report that she flies superbly! The plane is very solid. The ailerons have great control, as do the flaps (a little too much - which I'll mention later!)...the rudder could use more throw, and I think that the elevator needs to be enlarged by about 1 inch on the chord (I can make the change on this plane pretty easily). The elevator worked ok at speed - but I had a hard time flying it all the way into the stall - the nose would drop prematurely - I could tell that I needed a bit more elevator cuz the plane was still getting lift, and I think I can bring the CG back a little as well. All of the necessary changes will be incorporated in the plans (which I will start this weekend). Everything worked perfectly! The engine ran great, the mounts stayed tight, my homemade muffler worked great - and stayed tight, my homemade battery worked great, the plane is very tough, and very solid.

About the flaps - I set the flaps up so that they had two positions - roughly 30 degrees and 45 degrees of deflection. With the flaps at 30 degrees - the plane ballooned slightly (figured on that) - but at 45 degrees - it not only ballooned - but it totally wacked it out! Way too much drag, way too much lift, and way too big of a pitch change!!!! I turned the stops way down so now the flaps max out at about 30 degrees - with 15 degrees as the middle setting. I'll have to play with the flaps some more to see if they are worth the effort. If nothing else - I'll make her have full span ailerons!!!

Now - about the "flying tail" (I know that some of you were concerned ). The "flying tail" worked just fine! I couldn't tell any difference from a "regular" tail. It sure is easy to make though for these big planes!!!!

Overall - I have to say that I am completely satisifed and very tickled about the whole project!! The Ryobi ran like a top once I got her final tuning complete. The only time I had any troubles with the engine was when I ran it out of gas!!!!! Oooops! (too much fun flying - forgot the time!). The engine has plenty of power to fly the plane - but not unlimited vertical (which I wasn't looking for anyway - at least not yet!).

Thanks again to all those that helped me out!!!!!!!!

Jan took a bunch of pictures from the field (thanks a bunch Jan!)- once I get them - I'll post them!!!! And thanks to you too Dean for being my pitcrew!!!

Definately a keeper!

BTW - I have already made the changes to the elevator - I added about an inch to the chord. We are having a club fly-in/BBQ/meeting tomorrow and I'm bringing the "big gun" - so I'll know tomorrow if the changes I made worked.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

You Guys Rock! We missed you at the Tulsa Fly-In, hope all is well. Great job on the Stick!
Old 07-05-2003, 04:58 AM
MrGreenSpeed

Wow!
Kraut You are a Coro. Master.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:28 AM
psk560
My Feedback: (12)

I can't wait for the plans!

Craig
Old 07-05-2003, 01:34 PM
bentgear

Got this great little G23 setting here feeling lonely not being in a plane. Now what was that sign maker friends phone number? I know I have it somewhere around here.

That thing looks great. I was wondering what I was going to replace my big Ultra Stick with that I put in a power line.

Did you try crow yet?

You guys are too much. Please, keep up the good work!

Ed M.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:44 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Pretty darned cool...
Old 07-05-2003, 02:42 PM
Kraut

Did you try crow yet?
Ummmmm no - not yet - my radio won't do "crow" - but I am working on a solution! (right Chris? )
Pretty darned cool...
Thanks!
Old 07-05-2003, 02:50 PM
ChrisSpad

9c....cough.....9c.cough....

Sorry about that, had something stuck in my throat. yep, I know Kraut's weighing the radios out now as we speak.
One more thing i failed to mention about getting the 9c, and a ultra pak is this: Its the only radio you need. You can sell all your other ones (might keep one for a backup). I sold my other 2 when i got mine, a 6xs, and a 7us, and darned near paid for it. Well, it cost me less than a hundred bucks.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:06 PM
Kraut

I hadn't even thought about that Chris - that definately works in my favor!!!! I have a Flash 4, a Flash 5 and a Focus 4 that could easily find new homes if I upgrade! Thanks!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Tattoo

Going through my pics...found this one...can't let you all forget that Kraut's working hard on the plans!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94689_3860.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	52292  
Old 07-18-2003, 01:12 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by thudriver
I am viewing the lifting stab with trepidation! Won't it lift the tail more with every speed increase. I think symetrical would be better. Ah well I will cross my fingers! Hope I'm wrong! thudriver
That's exactly its function Thud... on a plane like the big Telemaster it prevents the plane from always trying to climb at higher speeds... a bit like down thrust, but way more effective...
In case of a tail dragger it also lifts the tail if you open the throttle... even before the plane starts moving... a cool sight...

If he has set his incedences correctly it will work flawlessly...

I still have a 100" Telemaster hanging from the basement ceiling... that is the most docile plane I have ever flown... it weighs close to 15 lbs and yet it slows down to walking speeds... and it speeds up nicely with the ST 2000 in the nose... no climbing tendencies what so ever... it even flies inverted...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.