Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Race Mustang #96?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 02:52 AM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Race Mustang #96?

or 95 I believe.....I am looking for info/pics on this r/c racer, It was also in the 96-97 Model Airplane News mag cant remember the month but from what I remember it was white, purple, and candy red i think? I have looked high and low for pics all over the net for this airplane and cant find em.....can anyone help me plwaseeeeeeeeeeeeee?
Old 12-25-2003, 03:14 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Race Mustang #96?

Is this a giant scale racer or a smaller model? Feature article on it or just pictures from an event? Scale color scheme?

Michael
Old 12-25-2003, 05:20 AM
WarbirdAirRacer

ORIGINAL: Mluvara

Is this a giant scale racer or a smaller model? Feature article on it or just pictures from an event? Scale color scheme?

Michael

I believe it was a 100+ incher...and the color scheme was something along the lines of Dago Red....White where red is..purple where white is and candy apple red where yellow is on this this racer. I will try to find the old MAN (Model Airplane News) mag and see if I can scan the pic in the mag... and if I remember right its # 96 on the rudder in purple numbers.....Im asking because I would like to find out what kit it is. OH i also remember it having a huge inline twin!
Old 12-26-2003, 01:05 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you are referring to many of the modified mustangs. I'm not sure who the owner is, but I'll dig through some old records when I get a chance. Check out http://www.usrainfo.org for more info. There is a manufacturer section there.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-26-2003, 04:34 AM
T34RACING
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997 and 1998 issues of the Model Airplane News with Giant Scale Racing.

The covers are 1993-A line up of Unlimiteds
1994-Bill Cunninghams Stilleto Race #888 Purple and White. Opposing twin engine
1995-Classical Racing Cosmic Wing Formula I racer
1997- Penzoil Stilleo Red/Yellow race #111 My father was the pilot and I currently own the plane
1998-Dennis Galloway Race #770 AT-6 Texan White/Purple/Lavender

I do not have a copy of the 1996 copy of model airplane news that I can find. I am trying to recall a race # 96, but I cant seem to find one. The only people that I know that were running inlines were Bill Hempel in a Vendtta(?) Moki 3.6, There was the guys from precision eagle flying red mustangs that had 8.4 adn 12.6 in lines, adn then also there was another mustand that Mike adams flew that was Orange tail White body that had a 4 cylinder O.S. that was almost incowled. I have pictures for all of them somewhere. If you have any description that you can recall, let me know and I can pinpoint it also. I know MLuvaras brother Chris also has many photos also.

The only Cherry Red/Purlple and WHite Colors that I know of in GIant Scale was my AT-6 Texan. I may be forgetten someone elses airplane but I dont remember any. There are a couple of standard Red/White/Blue Stilletos that belonged to Don Rice, Deigo Lopez and Bill Hempel
Old 12-26-2003, 04:47 AM
T34RACING

Found your airplane. The airplane is a DagoRed style. I believe. The owner was Dan Engelhoff. All of his unlimiteds and Formulas have always been race #96. Teamerica is there team name. I think they reside in the Los Angles area. There is a picture on a website that is a fellow racers site. It is under Robert Greenlee's section. Here is the web page.

http://members.tripod.com/%7eMPRACE/gallery3.html

It doesn't show it , but that particular airplane had a 5.8 sachs in it I recall. We raced Dan with that aiplane in Reno and beat him in the Silver race with his own propeller that we borrowed from him. That was fun!!!!

Most of the Mustangs at that time were kits modified from mustangs into Dago Reds or Stregas. Nosen was a popular kit that was wood that they modified. Saxton and Sky Aviation came out with Stilletos and DW came out with Roto Finish. Bridi and RNR came out with the Miss Ashleys/Vendettas.

P.S. I have a couple of Stilleto kits for sale if you are interested.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:12 AM
WarbirdAirRacer

T34 you da MAN! [8D] You have no idea how long i have been looking for pics of this racer!!!! tell me about your Stilleto kits ( [email protected] ) I am trying to make some races next year but if i dont find a kit/plane/engine soon then I will be SOL [] I am also trying to work a deal for a Fiber Classics P-51 but the guy wants to much for it and I can find it else wheres for cheaper (of the FC kit).....as of right now I have a Top Flite 1.20 size Strega I am almost done with, with a YS 1.40 ...but I am looking to get into the bigger scale warbird racing asap!

Again Thank You so much for your awesome help in finding my request! if we ever meet at a race I will buy you a Cold One [8D] and please email me with info!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21640.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	85243  
Old 12-28-2003, 02:23 AM
T34RACING

Giant Scale racing is a blast. These past two years, I have not been active in any of the races but soon hope to get back into it. Glad I could help.

The fiber classics mustang to be honest is a awesome warbird but not a racer. It will not hold up to the power plants that are needed to run with the "big Boys". The airfoil is also a standard airfoil and is not competitive with todays airframes.

If you are looking into getting into the unlimiteds, make sure you know what you are getting into first. Make sure that you are aware of what is competive and what is not. If you want to just have a warbird and go around the course and speed is not a issue, than anything legal would be suitable. If you want to be able to at least have a chance, then you may want to find out what is out there.

As for kits and motors, Dave Bridi makes a Vendatta, Sea Fury, and Corsair that are very fast with the right motor combo. These aircraft are typically flown with the Herbranson 280-304cc engines and do well over 200+. The other aircraft that is used as has been doing quite well is the Miss Ashley kit produced by Quick Turn (Friend Of mine). RNR Composites also makes a Rare Bear kit . The last and final Unlimited aircraft produced by Aerosport is the NA-50. This aircraft resembles a modified AT-6 with a turtle deck and is a very fast aircraft. The engines that people have been using are the A-Cube8.8 and 11.6. The aircraft that have dominated the circuit in the past 4-5 years have been the Miss Ashley, Corsair and the NA-50. All of the above aircraft with the exception of the Vendetta are full composite aircraft and start price wise about $2000+

As for engines, if you can get your hands on one, the Aerrow 200 or the Herbranson engines are the powerhouses. You still need to do some engine modifications to them.

A couple of years ago at one of the California races, I started a 6.0 Warbird class that was all the same rules as the Unlimiteds but the maximum engine was the 6.2 engine. The class had 6 entries its first year but the class failed to happen the following year. I think this would be a great class to get people going price wise but just not enough interest.

Here is what I have. You sent me a email asking. I am not sure what shipping is like since they are around 90" in length.
The kits are great kits to get started. The stock airfoils on these are great "training Wheels" but are to thick to be competive. You can get better airfoils and mate them to the fuselage. I have a plug for a Stilleto that someday will be turned into a mold. It has a awesome airfoil to it.

P-51 Stilleto Kits (1/4 Scale )
I have two Ralph Saxton P-51 Stilleto kits. Both are fuselage and foam cores.

Fuselage # 1 is a all Carbon fuse

Fuselage # 2 is a glass with kevlar matt

Both fuses are in excellent condition. All the foam is there also for stabs and wings. There are no plans available for this kit. It is for experience builders only. The kit is based on the 100" Mustang. There are no canopies available( easy to make) Engine suitable would be a 75cc or larger

Prices kit # 1 $500.00

kit # 2 $400.00

I fly one that is the old Pennzoil Mustang on the front cover of the 1996 or 1997 Model Airplane News. We took the Aerrow 200 out and put a 5.8 Brison engine in it. It flys about 140 mph. I also have a full composite Miss Ashley that also has a 5.8 in it. Both fly awesome and are great giant scale fun flys. Let me know if you need help. I may be able to assist or point you in the right direction if I cant answer it.

Happy flying.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:29 AM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

alright guys..unlimited racer out there...this is the NA-50 of the blues rothers race team...my dad, Ken Thornton drove this plane to 4 streight gold trophy races...the only one to do that...that plane was feard by every unlimited pilot on the line agest it...even archie snyder...that plane in the pic i have listed went up agest the best of the best and beat them 4 times in a row...now put that in ur pipe and smoke it...lol...that plane is still around hanging in the shop right next to the Tsunami...both planes have an areow 200 motor...u havnt seen anything until u c that NA-50 go by u at 235mph about 5 feet off the ground...now thats exiting.

Name:	Pn37084.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	87507  
Old 01-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Little Thornton, is your dad flying still flying?,,, and tell your dad Hi For me!

I'll never forget that "all Blues Brother" F-1 Final at Madera

Bill Vargas

Name:	Pn36227.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	87860  
Old 01-05-2004, 12:00 AM
colesifer3d314

hy bill...itsbeen a long time and im all grown up... but yea that all blues brother race at madara was cool...it was the silver race but hey ill take it...yea we r still flying but not racing anymore...we did a little bit of air crusier racing after we quit giant scale but nothing really anymore...just sport flying...we r out here in cottonwood arizona now because he wanted to retire out here...my dad says hi and so does my mom. good to hear from u...i still have my Blues brother shirts and hats..but daym u have had urs for a looooong time because tom left our team long before we quit...but thats ok...we still smoked him after he left to let him know what he did...we still have the old tiger that weuse to race in formula...it is now my plane and we also have the tsunami and the NA-50 thats in the pic. good to hear from u...his name on RCU is BigElwood314... and his e-mail adress is [email protected].
Old 01-05-2004, 01:34 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Hey T, you got mail,,,

BV
Old 01-05-2004, 08:27 PM
colesifer3d314

yea sounds like fun maybe we will go out to the race in a couple weeks... but u sent it to me and not m dad...i forward it to him though so he got it.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:58 AM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

OK Guys, I'm the one you were looking for. RACE 96!

The above picture of American Spirit was taken at the very first Madera race, 1991. I was not the owner or pilot or even a team member then. That race was flown my a guy named McCoy. He took 3rd in the Bronze Class that year. Would have been 5th but two guys mid-aired in front of him and moved him up. The plane was built by a consortium of old timers in Lake Elsinore. Matt Pearson (died in 1996), John Pearson (died in 1999), Harry Horlock (still kicking) and a few others that were great builders of "noteworthy" aircraft like the Macchi m67 of the Schneider Cup and the "Exxtra 460" twin fuselage extra 230.

They asked me to fly the #96 Mustang in 1992 and My first race was at the Tucson race in April 1992. We took 2nd in the Silver Class when Unlimiteds were the only race in town. What a great race and time to get into Giant Scale racing. Race 96 was built from the Nosen kit and made from a fiberglass mold which I own at this time. We used the Nosen wood wing and built the custom retracts right into the wing with a giant Carl Goldberg geometry. It was (and still is) powered by a Quadra 100 with the "chain saw" crank case. This airplane is still alive but in storage. It's last flight was at an Airshow at El Monte, CA in 1996 just before Matt Pearson passed away. When Matt died, I bought all of his racing aircraft and equipment from his wife, Sally and have kept TEAMERICA alive in all that I do.

American Spirit II was built and and powered with an Aerrow 100 RSS with a tuned pipe. It sounded like a Yamaha dirt bike flying by and got up to 140 MPH at the Reno race in 1994. We placed somewhere in the Silver Class that year and took home over $1100 back when it was worthwhile racing. We invested our winnings in an Aerrow 200 built by Ken Laski in 1995 and installed it into the proven airframe, American Spirit II and it jumped off the ground and got right into the groove on it's first test run. 182 MPH on the first flight with the new engine and I was walking on air. What a thrill!!! We showed up at Madera that year and Ken Thornton called for me during qualifications. With his insistance, we pulled off 3 official 2-lap qualification runs all in the same flight. And that was with the wrong prop. Ken loaned me one of his 24X24 props and we went out to bust the 200MPH mark but were shot down by a stray radio in the pits. Believe it or not, the plane pancaked into the ground so flat that the engine was not hurt and still looks like the day it was bought. The airframe was powdered. American Spirit III is out of the mold and has been sitting since 1995 waiting for me to build it's wing. I keep dreaming but have only raced Formula Is since then.

Yes, "little Dude", I also still have my Ole Tiger, "Desert Storm", that is powered by the above mentioned Aerrow 100 and took 3rd in the 1997 World Championship series in the last 6.0 cu. in. race at Rialto. I love that airplane and might bring it back if they ever have an "Old Timers" race. I have offered to hang it up in the Hesperia Airport Cafe till it flies again.

I could go on for hours remembering the good old days of Giant Scale Air Racing. I have committed to get back in it this year with the Formula I GT class and Dominator 1500 class. I am now a Professional UAV test pilot currently working on a VTOL with BAE Systems.

If you would like more pictures of the many Race 96 aircraft, just do a simple excite.com search on "teamerica" and you will find us all over the web. I am wortking on building [link=http://www.teamerica.org]www.teamerica.org[/link]. Our home field is Rabbit Dry Lake where all the racers use to come to test all their latest creations. Not too many any more. I have to have alot of spam blockers on [email protected] but you can find me at [email protected].

Dan

Name:	Mk26923.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	101063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26024.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	101064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35884.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	101065  
Old 03-12-2004, 08:54 PM
colesifer3d314

good old Dan...i hope u still have the little weiner dog Barron...haha...me and my dad r getting into the Q500 racing...the only thing different is im about 8 years older and im flyin...haha...anyways good to hear from u man...my dad says hi.