Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Getting into Pylon Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:34 AM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting into Pylon Racing?

hi guys

ive always been a BIG fan of the red bull air race and so when i heard about RC Pylon racing it really appealed to me

im currently learning to fly on a .40 MFA Yamamoto trainer, but i have been into RC Trucks and racing for 2 or 3 years and have been playing Microsoft flight simulators, Combat simulators and other such things since i was about 7 (im 14 now) so what do you think will be the best way to get into Scal pylon racing? (a non-scale racer will do me to start with, but id rather have a scale Edge 540 or Extra 300S)

any ideas?

- Foamy
Old 05-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Tommy_Gun

Default RE: Getting into Pylon Racing?

Do some research and see if you can find any clubs in your local area that are already holding scale racing events.

If there are, go there and observe and ask questions. Try to find a guy thats not about to go out and race or someone that is running with no problems that day. If you are quizzing a competitor that is having a "bad" race day and possibly in the middle of repairs, you may not get the cordial response you would like.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:16 AM
Wild Foamy

well ive asked around at my regular flying field but nobody knows of any clubs or venues, and also the members on my RC car forum (RC extreme) have never heard of it! [X(]

ive seen videos on the 'net but i cant find any clubs, anyone know of any websites i can use to find a club?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The large scale pylon racing is a California thing. There is not much of that activity anywhere else. There may be isolated pockets of interest.

Your best source of information in the U.K. is here: http://www.bmfa.org. Search the site for information.

Ed S
Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Wild Foamy

no Fair, you americans get all the fun! :P

im mainly interested in scale because i dont really like the annoying high-pitched screams the smaller ones produce, so a little Extra 300S would probably have a more realistic sound to it (and it would look alot nicer)

Maybe i could start my own Pylon races and bring your noble sport to the UK
Old 06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

The annoying high pitched scream is not the airplane, but the engine. A good start would be a Q-500 ARF and an OS .46FX. Very well behaved and a good engine to boot. I also wouldn't recomend a Q-500 as a second plane either, maybe a 4* then the Q-500 and then maybe on to more aggressive designs. I had two GP Vipers. Very nice airframe and a good "speed trainer" with even a cheap OS on the nose.