Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Fast plane for saito 125

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:03 PM
deadstickpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast plane for saito 125

Like the title says! I'm trying to keep the plane under $200. I need the plane to go stupid fast. What would be a good prop? Thanks!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:00 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Fast plane for saito 125

Since you posted this in the Scale Racing forum, I'm assuming you want something that is at least semi-scale.

Four strokes don't tend to be the best candidates for really fast planes unless you are talking YS four strokes that are supercharged. The SAITO engines are really good engines, but they have relatively low max RPM's. So you have to use high pitched props and you then have significant acceleration issues, especially with some draggy scale planes.

You could probably get a SAITO 125 in a Great Planes Little Toni or Minnow and it would be fairly quick. But a JETT 90 with a tuned muffler would likely be faster with better acceleration.

Your best scale candidates that can handle a 125 without significant balance and wing loading issues would be .60 size P-51 planes. 46 size P-51's like The World Models P-51 Mustang 46 or the Phoenix Strega could get the job done, but prop clearance, engine fit, balance, wing loading, and structural integrity will be challenges. For most ARF's (appropriate for a SAITO 125) anything approaching 160 mph or more requires structural enhancement.

If you want something that is really fast and looks somewhat like a real plane, get a Q-40 molded composite plane and put a racing .40 (JETT or Nelson) in it. 190-200 mph using off the shelf components and no structural/aerodynamic issues as the planes are designed for the speeds and tight turns. At 200 mph, you have to turn a lot to keep the smaller planes in sight.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
deadstickpilot

I'm trying to keep it under 200. I already have a motor. How fast can I get with the WM mustang? How much beefing up will I need to do? Thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 PM
WMB

ORIGINAL: DonStegall

If you want something that is really fast and looks somewhat like a real plane, get a Q-40 molded composite plane and put a racing .40 (JETT or Nelson) in it. 190-200 mph using off the shelf components and no structural/aerodynamic issues as the planes are designed for the speeds and tight turns. At 200 mph, you have to turn a lot to keep the smaller planes in sight.
Who sells this type of plane?
Thanks, MikeB
Old 10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
DonStegall

There's not a good list right now. My pages on PylonWorld.com are out-of-date.

Here are a few links for all molded composite Q-40 kits:

[link]http://www.calspeedpros.com/Q40.htm[/link]

[link]http://www.supertrc.com/results.asp?category=11[/link]

[link]http://www.bigbruceracing.com/prod02.htm[/link]