Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Why isnt 60 sized racing ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 05:04 AM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why isnt 60 sized racing ?

I would like to know why only big warbirds are racing ? I think a class for .60 sized warbirds would be awesome! has anyone else tryed this before? I know where i live i use to get about 3-4 of us that would play around like we we're air racing but no one ever wanted to make it a real thing

.....we all had Top Flite warbirds with YS 1.20 4 strokes and we would rip up the skys with 'em...hell people use to ask us when we would be doing our little race, so they could watch or take time off to come watch us........I also talked to my club about it once and they said they didnt want to add anything else to the Quickie 500 class/day, and said it would be un-safe?...now im all for safety and i think it should always be #1 on everyones minds but we've never had a mid-air, crash, radio problem...etc....we all have been flying for many many years (myself going on 15 years)...........any ideas on this or am i just blowin smoke ?
Old 07-11-2003, 05:50 AM
Schwing RC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warhawk Gold Class Racing

John,
Just finished dropping an OS1.20 in a TF P40(#2), the latest in a long line of Top Flites. I'm with you, mixing it up with with these finely crafted scale warbirds is bound to be a much better crowd pleaser than zooming around with a bunch of glorified ugly stiks. And it would definitely be an event that demands some good old fashioned craftsmanship.The only thing better would be airborne paintball dogfighting. With orange paint.
Uh-oh,now I got myself thinking...
Old 07-11-2003, 06:39 AM
WarbirdAirRacer

Hell Yea!!!! I think if there was enough people that wanted to do something like this it would be just HUGE! I mean im not trying to take anything from the big scale guys that race these bigger warbirds....but i think alot of people dont have the money to drop say 7k on a warbird to race it, I know sure as hell dont!

......I think a class for Top Flite warbirds with 4 strokes would be awesome, then the same class for 2 stroke guys that dont want to run 4strokes.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:43 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

In California and Arizona, there are some pretty big contingents of racers flying .60 -1.20 size warbirds. The SWRA and many other local club events have been going on for some time. However, no formalized big series are coordinated.

Michael
Old 07-12-2003, 04:27 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Default War Birdies

P-40, as with most of the Q500 Races that I have attended here in So. Cal and Az,,, there just isn t enough time in the day to add a 4th class to the mix plus we all fly the 3 pole course out here too. So now if you guys are using the 2 pole long course,,, its more time wasted to take down and set up between rounds.

As much as I love to Race too,,, mixing in a War Bird Race with 424, 428 and 422 "AMA" events just doesn t make any sence.

I'll make a bet,,, that if you guys where to put on your own Race, at your field, It would work! Just besure to chat about it with your AMA District VP,,, chances are your gonna need a waiver if you can t meet the 350' AMA rule(insurance thing) for Pylon Racing.

BV
Old 07-14-2003, 06:27 PM
PJ_TankPilot

The SWRA is an AMA SIG so in theory it is nationwide. However, the only activity I know of is in the Southwest.

If you want to get 2 pole warbird racing started at your club, the SWRA rules are a good place to start.

The three speed classes of Bronze, Silver and Gold make room for everything from .40 2-stroke ARFs to scratch built fire breathers running highly modified YS 4-strokes.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:13 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

We run a warbird race here in Minnesota, and to be honest, its a little less than organized. We have a great guy that CD's the event, but the rules are what I would call "loose". Most of the planes flown are .40 sized with .60 or .90 sized two strokes stuffed in. There have also been .15 sized planes with Nelsons, and .25 sized planes with .46s'.

This years winner was a WM mustang with a Jett .76, with another WM Mustang with a .91 OS FX right behind in terms of speed. I finished third with a Kyosho 40 sized Spitfire with a Jett .50.

We have a lot of fun with the event, but its only once per year. We race 3 poles, on a shortened course (425 feet). Its lots of fun, and we look forward to it every year.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:22 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Dave,

I wonder if they'd allow F1 Sport (Great Planes Shoestring, etc.) to play too ... of course you couldn't use retracts, but I bet the speed would be comparable.

Wind In His Wheels
Old 07-16-2003, 04:31 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Duane,

One thing I've been meaning to ask you about is the setbacks for F1 Sport. The AMA cracked down on the two pole racing crowd because the setbacks for engines over .40 are bigger than for .40 and below.

Do you have any info on this issue? Are the same setbacks going to be used as for 3 pole .40 racing?

In my opinion, one thing that needs to be addressed by the AMA, is setbacks based on performance, not engine size. Like the pull test G mulitpliers are based on current records in control line speed.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:43 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Default It's not a setback, it's an opportunity

Don,

The F1 Sport proposal passed the initial vote of the contest board last March without a peep about the setback issue. I think Steve Kaluf, the Technical Director, would be the guy to talk to about it. IMHO, there should be no need for any more setback because these planes go about as fast as a 424 Quickie and carry the same or less kinetic energy than a Q40, even at 8.5 lbs. each. They'd do great on the short course, great for local club racing.

Duane
Old 07-16-2003, 04:57 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Maybe I should edit my message above ...

I agree that the current setbacks should be fine.

I'm getting ready to start on a F1 Sport Cosmic Wind today.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:06 PM
WarbirdAirRacer

Sorry guys! been away from these threads i made about warbirds....been busy coming up with big gas Ultimate biplanes

Thanks for the info guys! I may just have to check out the racing down in AZ when i get my all new T/F P-40E done I will keep you guys posted on build-up with a YS 140L