RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scale Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/)
-   -   SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/11561628-sams-1st-annual-valley-speed-scale-warbird-race-aug-4th.html)

Iron Dog 07-04-2013 10:37 PM

SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th

3 Attachment(s)
<span style="font-size: medium; ">Happy 4th, everyone!

That means Sacramento Area Modelers 1st Annual<span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0); ">VALLEY OF SPEED</span>Scale Warbird Race is only one month away! It is everything you have come to love about racing at SAMs, with just a little something extra. In addition to the usual cash and trophies, there will be airplane kits and additional prizes awarded ineverybracket.
</span><span style="font-size: medium; ">
The event flyer (more new sponsors continue to be added), registration form, and rules can be found attached, below; as well as on the SAM website (</span>http://www.sacramento-rc-flyers.org)<span style="font-size: medium; ">.

"Gentlemen, you are on the clock . . . ", you've got 31 days, s</span><span style="font-size: medium; ">o g</span><span style="font-size: medium; ">et those planes ready, and get some practice in, 'cause you won't want to miss this one! We'll see you soon.

Ollie</span>

Iron Dog 07-06-2013 11:12 AM

RE: SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th

In preparation for upcoming races, we continue to improve the flying site, as well. We are extending our covered shade structure in the pit area by another 25% of the current capacity . . . from 16 tables to 20.

<br type="_moz" />

Iron Dog 07-06-2013 11:22 AM

Joe,

You'll be glad to know the new mics have arrived and been tested. Brownie says they are working perfectly; with no interference issues. So, we are ready for you, too. (Not only for Valley of Speed;but, for Tres Kahunas, this coming weekend, too - unless you will be racing in that event yourself.)<br type="_moz" />

Casey Leadfoot Smith 07-06-2013 06:12 PM

So I was looking at your flyer Ollie and I noticed that Strega appears to be in last place. Now I know this couldn't be possible so now I'm curious about your whole race. Is this flyer just a cover for your nonexisting race? Is all the prizes you offer just a sham? Are you taking money for a race that doesn't exist? I'm on to you buddy. I ain't fallin for your tricks.

Casey Leadfoot Smith 07-06-2013 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Iron Dog

Joe,

You'll be glad to know the new mics have arrived and been tested. Brownie says they are working perfectly; with no interference issues. So, we are ready for you, too. (Not only for Valley of Speed; but, for Tres Kahunas, this coming weekend, too - unless you will be racing in that event yourself.) <br type=''_moz'' />
Oh and thats all we need to hear..... I'll be bringing an ice pick to gouge out my ear drums.

joedonkey 07-06-2013 07:31 PM

That's great news... I love the sound of my own voice and now everyone else will too...

Iron Dog 07-06-2013 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Casey Leadfoot Smith

So I was looking at your flyer Ollie and I noticed that Strega appears to be in last place. Now I know this couldn't be possible so now I'm curious about your whole race. Is this flyer just a cover for your nonexisting race? Is all the prizes you offer just a sham? Are you taking money for a race that doesn't exist? I'm on to you buddy. I ain't fallin for your tricks.
<p style="margin: 0px; font-family: Helvetica; "><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px">Well Casey, when I made my flyer, using the full-scale planes, I had to think about how a SAM&rsquo;s scale version of the Reno Air Races would <u>actually</u> play-out . . .</span></p><p style="margin: 0px; font-family: Helvetica; min-height: 14px; ">

</p><p style="margin: 0px; font-family: Helvetica; "><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px">Here&rsquo;s how I see it:

The Shaws have flown models of Rare Bear and Miss America, so of course their planes are ahead of the pack.

Skids, in his Precious Metal would be hot on their heels applying pressure trying to force them into a mistake.

Sea Furies - and other round cowled - planes are are always struggling a bit to keep up with the pack. (And, &ldquo;Yes&rdquo; that is a reference to a particular round-nosed-cowl-lover, and notorious P-51-despiser we all know and love!)

And, finally there is Leadbutt . . . the last remaining P-51 pilot. I remember you talked awhile back about possibly modeling Strega for your next build. And of course you&rsquo;d be the s-l-o-w-e-s-t plane in the pack. </span></p>

See, no funny business; it's all on the up &amp; up, making perfect sense, my friend! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

(Glad you're back, Casey. We've missed ya! I'm looking forward to helping you maiden that obomination you call a racer, tomorrow! See you in the morning.)<br type="_moz" />

pjakew 07-06-2013 11:42 PM

The shade structure looks great, Jerry would be very proud of you guys for sure.

PLANEBENDER 07-08-2013 05:02 PM

Sea Furies - and other round cowled - planes are are always struggling a bit to keep up with the pack. (And, “Yes” that is a reference to a particular round-nosed-cowl-lover, and notorious P-51-despiser we all know and love!)

LMAO!!!!! Please excuse me while I laugh in your face...Ha Ha Ha.

PLanebender
(Round cowl LOVER)

PLANEBENDER 07-08-2013 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: pjakew

The shade structure looks great, Jerry would be very proud of you guys for sure.
+1.

carider67 07-16-2013 03:12 AM

So, after getting off my soapbox, I decided to look around my shop & storage spaces for a new airframe to race..... Came up with a few ideas.......
1) WM Focke Wulf 190A, it has an amazing wing, 539 sq in, so YS 115, or with some minor extensions, any good 120 - YS120AC.
2) EZ P-39 Airacobra, NIB, very rare....... Can be configured as a P-63 also. I also have the ultra rare OS 120 SE Supercharged w/ a Roots Blower. Not sure on boost. This is the exact combo that Fred Burgdorf "APC Props" would come down to our races and whip our butts! He also ran a YS .60 two stroke w/ tuned pipe, and later a YS square head .61 w/ pipe. (I have both motors) He had his painted Bright Red/Orange in "Tipsy Miss" livery. Would love to make a duplicate!
3) WM Mustang (yawn!) Voo Doo fuse all done, have to just cover the "Jason" wing. YS 115S already installed. Well, I'm gonna think about this. Will ad pics tomorrow.

Iron Dog 07-16-2013 05:52 PM

I'd love to see another P-39, Chris. (Especially beings I won't be able to put another one of mine together anytime soon. An homage to Fred . . . even better!)

joedonkey 07-16-2013 06:07 PM

Positve Joe will be there to announce...

Iron Dog 07-16-2013 06:26 PM

Thank you! It just wouldn't be the same without you and Tabby being there.

joedonkey 07-16-2013 06:44 PM

Its because of good people, like you, trashman, speed, leadfoot, tommy, skids and the other none whinners... I owe it to ya... amd thanks for the oppurtunity

Tommy_Gun 07-16-2013 07:34 PM

Hey there big joe,
I was hoping that cooler heads would prevail after all the drama from Sunday.
I like many others am glad to hear that you will stick with us. Just try to remember to
keep it fun and let anyone get to you.

Chris,
lf you decide to use the WM FW 190, make sure to pay attention to the stock wing structure.
My dark blue190 started out as a WM arf and I found the stock wing to be wanting in the strength department.

carider67 07-16-2013 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tommy,
How does it fly? Land? What motor you running? I always reinforce my wings in the center section with thick bi-directional carbon weave - out from the centerline 4" each direction, and around the landing gear mounts. I don't think I'll have enough time to do the 190 right, 3 weeks is not enough. I'll probably finish the Jerry Tribute plane & race my Rockwell again - it was flying pretty sweet at the end there. That was on 30%, running fat, & wrong prop to slow it down.... Might just uncork it and race Gold. We'll see...... And thanks to Mark for calling a good race for me - The Silver A Main was fun, until all but Steve broke out :( lol. Here's a few pics of my "Roundie"..... I should throw a motor in it!

speedracerntrixie 07-20-2013 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: joedonkey

Its because of good people, like you, trashman, speed, leadfoot, tommy, skids and the other none whinners... I owe it to ya... amd thanks for the oppurtunity

Well I whine a little LOL That being said, I'm ready to do battle once again. The Rossi has a new piston and liner waiting to be run in and I picked up some props today. Gotta look at the positives, if the airplane hadn't been damaged it wouldn't look as good as it does now. Best looking " Macchi 5 " so far.

Jimmy Skids 07-23-2013 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: joedonkey

Well I whine a little LOL That being said, I'm ready to do battle once again. The Rossi has a new piston and liner waiting to be run in and I picked up some props today. Gotta look at the positives, if the airplane hadn't been damaged it wouldn't look as good as it does now. Best looking '' Macchi 5 '' so far.

Speed, I have never heard you whine. Your motor on the other hand does whine quite a bit. :D

Jimmy Skids

speedracerntrixie 07-23-2013 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jimmy, Looook at my preeeeetttyyy Macchi. I hope it dosen't get dirty, I don't know what I'll do if it gets a scratch. I have to cover it in the pits so you 4 strokers don't blow unburned oil all over it. hahahahahhaa Notice how there is nothing silver in the nose???? Hmmm what could be mounted in there now?

Jimmy Skids 07-23-2013 07:34 PM

I still have a few small YS four strokes that could make it competitive. Are you saying that you are ready for a fuel efficient four stroke?

Jimmy Skids

speedracerntrixie 07-23-2013 07:44 PM

Why would I want a small YS the airplane has a 520 sq. in wing. Makes you wonder what I put in the 4.5 lb little guy. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Jimmy Skids 07-23-2013 07:52 PM

In that case, go big. I may have a loaner for you. But be warned once you go YS you won't go back. Just ask Mark. :D

carider67 07-24-2013 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ollie, here are some of the pics of the P-39 - it has the same "Tufflex" plastic/rubbermaid fuse as my EZ Mustang 30, and it flies great and holds up well. Before I start gluing it together with horse by-products, did you maybe want to see about pulling a mold for the fuse, cowl, and canopy? Could make some hot .40 size 2strokers......

The problem with 4 stroke (heavy) motors is they have to be mounted at 90 degrees - side mount - or strait up & down, because of the front landing gear. I was planning on going with a hot 2 stroke & pipe on mine, and e-Flite Retracts x 3. Let me know about the molds, I think everybody knows I'm on very limited time w/ the Cancer and also am fighting hard to get more visitation with the Babies.... Yes, she left me dying and with 4month old twins being withheld from me :(

Well, here are some pics of what I want to do, some final projects. Still looking for a .40 -.60 size "B" Model Mustang, semi built or ARF Basher. Also have the Miss America "Jerry" tribute plane that has a YS 45 NIB in it - needs to be finished.

Iron Dog 07-24-2013 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: carider67

Ollie, here are some of the pics of the P-39 - it has the same "Tufflex" plastic/rubbermaid fuse as my EZ Mustang 30, and it flies great and holds up well. Before I start gluing it together with horse by-products, did you maybe want to see about pulling a mold for the fuse, cowl, and canopy? Could make some hot .40 size 2strokers......

The problem with 4 stroke (heavy) motors is they have to be mounted at 90 degrees - side mount - or strait up &amp; down, because of the front landing gear. I was planning on going with a hot 2 stroke &amp; pipe on mine, and e-Flite Retracts x 3. Let me know about the molds, I think everybody knows I'm on very limited time w/ the Cancer and also am fighting hard to get more visitation with the Babies....
Chris,

Thanks for the offer, but making molds would be too long-term a committment for you right now. I've sold my house, and am in contract for a new one (less than 3 miles from SAMs). Withso much going on(paperwork, inspections, packing, moving, putting VALLEY OF SPEED, etc.), it would take me too long to get to it. I wouldn't want to keep you from being able to fly yours. Especially, beings I already have molds from my own design that have flown very successfully. I still plan on making more of my P-39s, just need to get settled before I can even think about it, and finish the P-47 from my Trinity Build Thread, first.

You might also consider mounting at a 45 degree angle, leaning slightly downwards (as on my last P-39, pictured below), or slightly upwards. I don't like ALL the weight of the large YS 4-strokes hanging straight off to the side when mounted at 90 degrees; and, am tired of damaging my engines on gear-up landings, etc. when mounted inverted or at a downward 45, so am going to mount the next one on a 45 pointing slightly up towards me. My suggestion would be to consider doing the same. Especially beings this would make it ideally positioned for access while starting, too.
<br type="_moz" />

Iron Dog 07-24-2013 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Iron Dog

ORIGINAL: carider67

The problem with 4 stroke (heavy) motors is they have to be mounted at 90 degrees - side mount - or strait up &amp; down, because of the front landing gear. I was planning on going with a hot 2 stroke &amp; pipe on mine, and e-Flite Retracts x 3. Let me know about the molds, I think everybody knows I'm on very limited time w/ the Cancer and also am fighting hard to get more visitation with the Babies....
Chris,

Thanks for the offer, but making molds would be too long-term a committment for you right now. I've sold my house, and am in contract for a new one (less than 3 miles from SAMs). Withso much going on(paperwork, inspections, packing, moving, putting VALLEY OF SPEED, etc.), it would take me too long to get to it. I wouldn't want to keep you from being able to fly yours. Especially, beings I already have molds from my own design that have flown very successfully. I still plan on making more of my P-39s, just need to get settled before I can even think about it, and finish the P-47 from my Trinity Build Thread, first.

You might also consider mounting at a 45 degree angle, leaning slightly downwards (as on my last P-39, pictured below), or slightly upwards. I don't like ALL the weight of the large YS 4-strokes hanging straight off to the side when mounted at 90 degrees; and, am tired of damaging my engines on gear-up landings, etc. when mounted inverted or at a downward 45, so am going to mount the next one on a 45 pointing slightly up towards me. My suggestion would be to consider doing the same. Especially beings this would make it ideally positioned for access while starting, too.
<br type="_moz" />
Chris,

The more I reflect on lessons learned from my P-39s, and trying to make sure you are successful with yours, the more I think I should share these reflections now, before you get started.

The other issue with mounting it at a 45-degree downward slope was that the oil residue from the straight exhaust was coating the gear axles on the nosegear - and a little on the port wing's main gear leg, as well. This is what I think contributed to the demise of my last P-39: When it deadsticked on its second flight and I was forced to land it with a 35 mph tailwind my touch-down speed was about 45-50 mph. The oil residue is likely what caused my wheels to immediately separate from the hubs. So, even though my landing was perfect, the moment these two tires touched the tarmac, they separated. I found myself in an immediate hard-left, high-speed, turn towards the grass . . . tail-flipping up and over as the now bare hub/axle hit the grass lining the runway . . . this morphing into a repeated cartwheel as the strong winds redirected the plane's momentum downwind, along the grass which lines the runway.

A straight upward mount would eliminate any such issue, eliminate any interference with a retractable nose-gear, and make access to the engine the easiest; but largely ruin the scale looks.

An upward-facing 45-degree mount would be a good compromise between functionality and preserving scale appearance as much as possible. And, should only affect the starboard wheel if a straight exhaust is used. If a curved exhaust is used, oil residue could be directed completely above the wing.

If you plan on using a straight exhaust pipe to maximize RPM, I suggest mounting it straight up. If not overly concerned about absolute peak RPM, employing a curved pipe, then straight up, or a 45-degree upward mount should serve you well.

If I remember correctly, Fred Burgdorf mounted his upright.

Ollie
<br type="_moz" />

Iron Dog 07-24-2013 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wanted to include this photo to illustrate my previous post, but RCU is not functioning properly, at the moment, to have allowed me to do so. You can see the port wing's tire slipped off to the left after the nosewheel completely spun off to the left. Both are directly in the path of the exhaust when using a straight exhaust, with the engine mounted at a downward-facing 45 degrees.

carider67 07-25-2013 02:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ollie, I'm just going to build the P39 w/ a YS .60 Rear Exhaust. Should be an easy mount, tuned pipe (or mini pipe)down the side, slightly up from a 90 degree angle, and eFlite Retractos. Should be a solid Silver Plane. To all : I have a few special planes I want to build, and I don't have much time left, so I am selling the vast majority of my stuff here, ebay, or swap meets for the big stuff. I have 40+ planes, 40+ motors..... Just keeping a few of each. I have everything from complete kits, ARFS, and built. Most engines are NIB or like new. Over 12-14 YS's alone - I lost count. Many collector OS, K&B Pylon motors. Boxes of parts & accs. I'll let everone know when I post these. If I get too sick, I have a helper(s) lined up already. Thanks, Chris

joedonkey 07-30-2013 02:26 PM

Hey Racers. .. I won't be out there on Saturday,  so don't freak out! Ill see ya on Sunday morning. ...

Tommy_Gun 07-30-2013 07:01 PM

You will be missed at the pre race barbecue and party.

Iron Dog 07-30-2013 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm so glad we can post again! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif
However, it doesn't appear that complete functionality has been restored before the software upgrade. Beings RCU has apparently disabled the edit function and is not currently allowing me to edit my original event poster, I will resubmit a revised flyer/poster with the updated sponsorship. (See attachment, below.)

It's been crazy, but between all the conflicts I've had with selling my house, as well as finding and buying a new one, I've worked hard to make this a very successful event, with much better than usual prizes for the pilots AND for the workers. And, am continuing these efforts to ensure that all goes as planned. Now, you just need to get those planes repaired and back in the air after all of last race's carnage, so you can be a part of it.

Ollie

Iron Dog 07-30-2013 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went out to the field today, and the site improvements are nearly complete! The workers (there are too many for me to name without accidentally leaving someone out) have labored hard and have the extension to the pits covered; and have installed new workbenches &amp; electrical at each station. There's even water at that end of the pits now, too. An improved safety fence is in, as well. "Thanks to everyone that has worked so selflessly and diligently on these improvements." I think theylook great.

Iron Dog 07-30-2013 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<span style="letter-spacing: 0px; font-family: Arial; ">And, beings RCU has plans to take us back to a read-only format beginning Friday, you've only got a couple days to get those jabs in! </span>. . . Nahhhhhh, we don't smack talk around here!!! . . .http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/72_72.gif

So, here goes the first volley:

Casey,

You are my Co-CD and I love you like a brother, but I'm really glad you finally came to grips with the reality about how slow you are. We've all been telling you for years; but, to finally accept it and bump down a class to race back in Bronze . . . Well, you know what they say, "Admitting there's a problem is half the battle."

By the way, I really like your new race logo. It shows great honesty and sincere reflection about your current situation, too . . . http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Ollie<br type="_moz" />

speedracerntrixie 07-31-2013 03:14 PM

Well considering I am currently pointless at this stage in the season I am NOT going to participate in the trash talk. I will resume giving everyone a verbal beating once I bring home an intact airplane.

Jimmy Skids 07-31-2013 04:42 PM

so does that mean you are not going to race yet again?

speedracerntrixie 07-31-2013 04:57 PM

Jimmy, I am ready to go. Just been too lazy to get some runs on the engine. Ran it once and all was well. I suppose most breaking in will happen on Sat. I do prefer to do break in while flying.

pjakew 08-01-2013 11:13 AM

Well, I wont be there, still working on getting a racer together for Sept. Richard V. called me and told my I better be there for the two dayer. Have fun without me, and good luck to all!

speedracerntrixie 08-01-2013 06:12 PM

That sucks Jake, just won't be the same. Maybe have to get some of that New York Salsa to hold us over LOL. Get to work my friend!

Jimmy Skids 08-01-2013 08:16 PM

3 more days. :D

joedonkey 08-01-2013 08:28 PM

If anyone has an easy up shade canopy can you please bring it to the race on sunday... I have a server sprain to my right foot amd am wearing a soft cast and using a cane so ill be sitting most of the day announcing .