Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Scale Helis in the Airwolf Style

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Scale Helis in the Airwolf Style

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:24 AM
jlmcougar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Helis in the Airwolf Style

I am new and at this and am researching as much as I can before I spend some duckets on a setup. I really like the scale RC Helis and do not want to make a bad purchase. The Century Airwolf looks good but is plastic. Anyone have comments?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:23 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Scale Helis in the Airwolf Style

Buy, build and perfect flying on a pod and boom before you start tinkering with scale.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:00 AM
slider46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A scale body looks terrible all mangled and busted up, so learn how to fly really good first. At 400+ for a body on a heli it can get expensive fast with just a hard landing.....
Old 12-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

I could be mistaken, but you must be referring to the Airwolf scale body for the Century Hummingbird micro heli's, right? Yes it is plastic and it's VERY fragile (mine already had cracks in it right outta the box). However they're also relatively cheap (you can get them for about $35-$45 on Ebay).

There is also a foam Airwolf body available for micro-heli's, but it's a kit and requires cutting and gluing and painting. But this kit includes retracts which is a plus! And it's more rigid than the plastic bodies.

[link=http://helihobby.com/html/airwolf_bell222_ikarus.html]Foam Airwolf[/link]

I personnally have a 60 sized scale fiberglass Airwolf fuselage by Centruy/Funkey, but I'm storing it at the foot of my bed until I feel more proficient at flying my 60 sized X-Cell heli as a pod and boom. Ergo, learn to fly very well before attempting to fly a scale fuselage... it's easier on the pocketbook! LOL!

- Michael
Old 12-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Michael211

Just found your other post.... from this posting it sounds like you were talking about a plastic scale Airwolf fuselage. Your other post talks about plastic heli mechanics... so I'm a bit confused now. LOL! [&:]

I also would shy away from mechanics that are all or mostly plastic. Plastic parts break easily, especially as the bird size increases. The 30 sized and larger Century/Funkey scale fuselages are all fiberglass, but they are (by design) eggshell thin fiberglass! And they're EXPENSIVE! So buy a basic pod-n-boom heli and learn to fly it really well 1st. Later, you can remove the pod canopy and skids and put the mechanics into a scale fuselage.

Century has suggestions as to which heli mechanics best fit each fuselage they offer.

[link=http://www.centuryheli.com/products/fuselages/fuselcrtC.html]Century scale compatibility chart[/link]

Hope this helps!

- Michael
Old 12-29-2006, 02:29 PM
BarracudaHockey

Here's mine, not in Airwolf scheme but pretty much the same heli.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77019.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	586015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97106.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	586016  
Old 12-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Michael211

Hi! Love the pics... that Bell 222 looks awesome with the gear sucked up!!! Is that a 50 or 60 sized bird? Were you able to put your tail boom inside the fuse or did you have to custom run your tail drive? What are the mechanics?

Thanks for sharing!

- Michael
Old 12-29-2006, 04:38 PM
BarracudaHockey

Its actually a Bell 230, its 90 size and theres plenty of room in the tail for a standard boom, no boom supports of course. The mechanics are a Korean model called DNHP, mostly aluminum and composite. Its got a separate servo on all three wheels for the retracts that are run by a controller so they go up and down very scale like, it also has a curtek lighting kit.

The servos are JR, its got a GV1 governor, VBlades and a 401 gyro.

Name:	Kh17671.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	586059  
Old 12-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Raserx

I just found this TREX 450 AIRWOLF w/RETRACS picture Thought you might be interested. Looks pretty cool to me and its Lexan not foam.

http://rc-expert.com/product-package.php?pid=442
Old 01-01-2007, 01:58 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Buy thi sbody if you want an Airwolf for T-Rex 450's. http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=854 Here is a few pictures of mine.

Name:	Xv65041.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	588247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92205.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	588248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75768.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	588249  
Old 01-12-2007, 01:00 PM
pappywolf

Dave, I just got an airwolf body off ebay, NOT HAPPY !! This thing is like paper thin. Is the airwolf body you have a nice stiff plastic ,also is the body full like a model aircraft would be ? This body is no good for anything but the trash. $ 25 bucks down the drain. Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 02:15 PM
edge_pilot

Hey Pappywolf,

The body I have is second to none. Very nice quality, all painted, ready to install on your heli. I am very particular when it comes to quality and looks of a model. I hold things to very high standard, only because I do the same with my products. There is so much detail in this body its hard to beleave. I think they did thee best job possible for a body of this size and weight. One downfall I didn't mention before is I didn't receive any directions for assembly with mine.[] Wasn't hard to figure out how it mounts though. 4 bolts to the landing gear area, and a tailcone that goes over the tailrotor asembly. You do have to glue all the windows in, that takes longer than anything else.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:52 PM
pappywolf

Dave, I will buy this body on your advise. Thanks for the info. I too want detail and quality. Again, the body is more like a plastic model body , ( closer to plexie glass or fiber glass stiffness Right ? ) This paper film of a body I bought just made me mad as fire. Thanks Dave.[>:]
Old 01-12-2007, 05:06 PM
edge_pilot

I beleave it started out white styrene plastic. It's fairly thick and strong. It does flex but not flimsy. It will be a million times nicer than the ebay special.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Jakecd7

Dave,

Pics looks awesome, did you say it's painted when you got it? I went on line from your link of Helidirect and there was several which one was it and how much I assume it's with the rectract unit? I saw one from Helihobby and it looks just like yours and the cost is $50, I saw a video on it as well and looks very nice and sturdy not that thin plastitc cheap stuff. Also I have the 450SA T-Rex with Spektrum DX6, I was told to to plug a servo on the Ger Chanel and that will be used for my rectract, only problem is when I I hit the Gear Toggle On that toggle turns on the Idle up as well as the gear I'm a bit confused can you shed some light on this? I'm a newbie I looked at the manual but can't make it out. Thanks for any assistance.

Jake
Old 08-25-2007, 12:44 PM
edge_pilot

This link is probably the closest one to mine they sell now.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=2808

They are in stock as of right now for $129.99. The retracts are installed and the fuselage is painted and ready to install.

I run a DX7 in mine so i'm not sure how you get around that one less channel. The DX7 has a function to program the switches for what you want, the DX6 does not have this feature. That mite be a question for the forum all on its own.

Hope this info helps.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:53 PM
4Aces_08

ORIGINAL: edge_pilot

This link is probably the closest one to mine they sell now.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=2808

They are in stock as of right now for $129.99. The retracts are installed and the fuselage is painted and ready to install.

I run a DX7 in mine so i'm not sure how you get around that one less channel. The DX7 has a function to program the switches for what you want, the DX6 does not have this feature. That mite be a question for the forum all on its own.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks! your Airwolf looks Great! I just picked one up from HD a few minutes ago, cant wait to get it! [8D]
Old 09-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Jakecd7

Here's my advise and take it for what it's worth. I've switched my hobby from RC cars (first electric than Nitro gas). I switched from elec. to gas becuase it sounded better and got a kick out of the cool motor sound and speed. But got quickly bored with it so I tried out Heli and was hooked from the first time. I started out with the ever popular E-Flite CX2 (great way to start if you never flown a heli), than moved up to E-Flite Blade CP Pro, now I have 2 T-Rex 450 and loving it. For now it's the perfect size for me. Don't know if I'm going to go larger becuase I realize the larger the Heli tha larger your wallet becomes and your bank account shrinks. I'm realizng time and money is what you have to give to this hobby both when your heli is on the ground. Meaning on the ground for maintenance or picking it up from the ground after a crash. I've been fortunate I'm spending little money becuase one word...now listen up very carefully...this word is the key to this hobby....this will save you time and money in the long run. The word is PATIENTS!!! Apply this word to every aspect of this hobby and you'll not only save time and money but will enjoy this hobby. I'm a person who wants to see result ASAP, but with this hobby result's (good results when flying, repairing and building etc...) comes when you take the necessary time to do what you need to do in order to do it right. In reading many forums i read a good quote. Someone said with Helicopters there is no middle ground. It's either right or wrong. And I completely agree i.e. even ballancing the blades to tracking one minor adjustment can make your heli fly properly or the opposite happens. Sorry to be long winded but just be patient and you'll see great results and you'll enjoy this hobby it is a lot of fun.

Go fly and have fun!
Old 09-29-2007, 04:18 PM
AirwolfCrazy

ORIGINAL: jlmcougar

I am new and at this and am researching as much as I can before I spend some duckets on a setup. I really like the scale RC Helis and do not want to make a bad purchase. The Century Airwolf looks good but is plastic. Anyone have comments?
I have a Larry Jolly 60 size Airwolf kit up for sale here on the site. If your interrested take a look at it.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Jager 247

jakecd7 when you started talking about the price of lager heli's hurt your wallet, you lossed me, i bought a raptor 30 a few years ago and it cost less then my trex. i could see that statement working for the blades but once you get into the trex 450's your looking at spending about the same for either one.