Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

New to Scale

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Sinist3rMinist3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Scale

Hello everyone, I have a basic question right now. Well maybe a couple of questions. To start off with I am pretty new to Helis. I have a CX2 right now that Im getting pretty comfortable with. Im starting to get the itch to step up to a bigger single roter. My goal is to get into scale helis but maybe not as fancy as some of you have. I like electric mostly because its cleaner and quieter. I can fly it close to home here instead of going out to the field all the time. I have been thinking about getting a trex 450 or the 600. im not sure what size would be best for putting a scale fuse on it. Everyone does the Bell 222. I do like it but I might wait to do that. The apache is cool as well. I have been searching for a commanche but havent found one as of yet. Anyway. My questions are. What heli is a good base to start with. I wont put a scale fuse on it right away but when I get comfortable with it I would like to. I dont plan on doing 3d with it at all. Is the spectrum radio well suited for this or do I need to look at other Futaba or JR radios? I plan on getting G4 as well as soon as its out. I hope the heli you tell me to use will be available to learn on as well. Anyway. Thanks for the words of advice.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:36 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New to Scale

I am in the same boat.just started flying a TREX
I am looking at the align600 and raptor electric.Century seems to have a few scale bodies for theirs too.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Elgreco3

The 450 is cheaper and more convenient for around the house. The 600 is quite big so it depends the size of your back yard.

The scale bodies of 450 size might look good but I find the flying is not as realistic. They are very quick and jerk around more than the big sizes.

I am flying the 450 in order to improve my skills, and just got a 600.
As soon as I get more comfortable with it, I plan on putting the airwoolf or bell 222 body on it.

So it's all relative to your budget and space for flying. One thing for sure, if you like to be as realistic as possible, as I do, then put a scale to the bigger one.

By the way, they are both excellent machines.

One thing, make sure you get from the beginning a charger that could handle both kind of batteries. (11.1 and 22.2 v)

I had bought a 1-4 cell lipo charger and I have to spend more now. I should have thought of that from the beginning.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Sinist3rMinist3r

Thanks so far. I have a track/small field I can walk to. To get a normal rc field I would have to drive 10 min. Not really a big deal but to be able to fly after work for an hr or so would be great. I look forward to hearing more opinions. I do think the 600 is the way to go if I can afford it.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
MakeItStopCrashing

There are FAR more options available to scale a 600 and the weight issue is a major difference. The TRex is by far the single best electric machine you will ever find. Keep going and work towards the 600 and you will be more then happy for a long time
Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Sinist3rMinist3r

Thanks for the vote of confidence. With the weather getting cooler Im going to get the Sim soon and hopefully by spring Ill be able to fly without a hitch.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM
DEAMONCHARGER

I'm working on a scale Hughes 500D with Align 600E mechanics. It's a FNKY fuse, but it was definately not enginered for the Align. I've had to do some fabricating with it, but nothing major...so far, the main frame was too skinny for the fuse, so I've had to add a couple cross bars to bolt it to. Oh, and I'm building it as a 5 rotor heli, so that's got it's own problems.

E
Old 10-24-2007, 10:42 AM
RodanAZ

The TRex 600 is a good choice if you want to get started in scale with an electric. It's a 50 sized heli, so there's a wide variety of fuselages available.

The only Commanche I know of is the Len Mount, but it's quite a bit larger... [link=http://www.starwoodmodels.com/products/lm/LM1013overview.php]Len Mount Commanche[/link]

As far as radio, if you want to have scale functions (gear, lights, etc) operable from the TX, you are going to need more than 7 channels, so I'd look at the 9 channel radios. The other advantage of the higher end radios is more mixing and programming options.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Sinist3rMinist3r

Thanks. the 9 channels it is. I also think I will do the 600. Now I just gotta save my pennies. This is going to get pretty expensive pretty quick but well worth the fun.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Druss

I'm planning on putting a scale on my 450XL to see what it's like. I plan on moving my links (from servo to swash), in closer to the center of the servo horn and also to limit the travel of the servo on my transmitter to get it to behave more like a scale. then I'll reduce the pitch curves to prevent jumping up and down. hopefully those will allow me to have a lot more control with less twitch.