Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

New radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Sinist3rMinist3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New radio

Hey guys. Since Im wanting to get into scale Helis, how many channels do you recommend I go with. I know it depends on what I want t do. So..with that in mind, If i want to go all out what do I need? What freq is the better one. 2.4 or FM? Im shopping for a new radio but not sure what I need vs what think I need and then overpay.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 AM
RodanAZ

Default RE: New radio

In general, you will need 6 channels for a heli w/ the ability to remotely adjust the gyro gain (important). If you are running a governor (very good idea), you will need another channel for the remote governor setting. That's seven...

If you want any scale features to be operable from the TX (retracts, lights, etc.) you will need more channels. I would recommend at least a 9 channel radio, and 2.4 is the coming thing. There were hundreds of 2.4 radios at IRCHA this year, and no problems were experienced. That was the clincher for me... I started with a JR 7202, and have an X9303 2.4 radio on order. The other advantage of the higher end radios is more functionality available through programmable mixes, switches, etc...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Sinist3rMinist3r

Thanks for the info. Its very good info too. I saw your post on my other thread about the trex600 as well. Thanks for that. I have to start somewhere and I need to keep the price reasonable for now. I guess a 9 channel is the way to go for sure. I know I cant afford the 14 channel so that option is out.

Thanks again.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

9 channel is definately the way to go. The 9303 if you want 2.4ghz or the 9C in PCM mode if you want Futaba 72mhz. If you go with the 9c the radio must run in ppm mode for the spectrum module which only gives you 8 channels so if you want 2.4 you will have to go with the x9303 till Futaba comes out with a native 2.4ghz 9C
Old 10-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Sinist3rMinist3r

Thanks. Something else I didnt know. Guess I need to look at the JR closely. What do you guys recommend? I know 2.4ghz is the new thing and maybe I should just focus on it as I will be flying in my back yard some so I dont need the FM interferance.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
RodanAZ

If you're flying at home, just be aware that certain 2.4 systems (phones/ wireless internet) have caused issues with 2.4 radios. Just make sure you don't have any interference before committing to flight.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:11 PM
soop7667

The thing about Spektrum and JR that you need to know is that JR makes the Spektrum radio's, so the JR9303 is essentially the same exact thing as a spektrum. I'll bet my heli that when they come out with a DX9, it's going to be nearly identical to the 9303.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Sinist3rMinist3r

You have a good point. I would go with a regular spectrum but since there is no 9 channel yet I cant, although by the time Im ready there may be one. The interference is what Im most concerned about. Maybe I should get the fm/2.4 model. Any, thanks for the continued help.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:09 AM
soop7667

I would go with a regular spectrum but since there is no 9 channel yet I cant
I'm not sure you understand that the JR9303 has a 2.4 version straight from JR. I'm almost sure it interfaces with all Spektrum RX's as well.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:55 AM
RodanAZ

In order to clarify a few things:

Spektrum uses JR radios as the basis for 'their' 2.4 radios: a DX7 is basically a JR7202 in 2.4. The JR X9303 will be a 2.4 version of the 9303 FM radio. As of this point, Spektrum has not announced a "DX9", but if they did make one, it would likely be basically the same radio as an X9303. The DX7 and X9303 are "integrated" 2.4 radios, that is, they are not converted (with a module) FM radios.

Spektrum also make modules to convert an FM radio to 2.4. These are available for FM radios that take modules, like the 9303 and 10X by JR, and also some Futaba radios.

Something to think about is adding a module may reduce some functionality (as noted above with the Futaba), and increase latency time (the time it takes for the stick movement to be converted, sent to the receiver and converted into servo movement). The DX7 is among the fastest radios currently available, and the X9303 is supposed to be faster yet.

This can be pretty overwhelming at first, but take your time and do some research to make sure you get the functionality you want in a radio. It's a pretty big investment, so you only want to do it once!