Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

fiberglass heli canopy try

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

fiberglass heli canopy try

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 AM
steveteal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass heli canopy try

Hello everyone I have just made a mold of a 400 size heli and a 50 size heli canopy.I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if they have had any luck pulling a canopy from a mold.I am haveing issuse's succcefully pulling a canopy from the mold.any tips?. thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:06 AM
tjmackey

Default RE: fiberglass heli canopy try

What part? I made a plug and a mould for a 1/6th lama, the bellypan is fibreglass and the canopy was vacuum formed, Is the problem you are having with the vacuum forming or the glass? forming the canopy is an art, temperature and timing is essential and the thickness of the plastic plays a big role to, as does the mold. The first few times may not turn out as planned but its all a learning experience. A few pics would help
Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 PM
MartyH
My Feedback: (16)

Have you properly prepped the mold? It needs to be sanded up through at least 400 grit sandpaper then maxed several times. When you are ready to pull parts, wax the surface twice and allow time between each coat. Then spray the mold surface with a light warm coating of PVA. Two coats will do. Brush in a coat of resin then lay in your first layer. This is going to be veil or very light weave cloth. Follow this with the second layer of coarser cloth. Brush out all the dry spots and pat the wetted cloth to remove all excess resin. Allow to cure then pull part from mold, working from the edges and carefully pulling it away from the mold surface. You can also dribbl;e warm water behind the edge you lift as this will dissolve the PVA and help release the part. The link below might help you. It's me making an epoxy/fiberglass mold and then epoxy/fiberglass wheel pants for full scale airplane.

http://www.geocities.com/mhammersmith/pants/pants.htm
Old 02-29-2008, 02:15 AM
steveteal

Thanks for the info I will try again this weekend I'll let you all know how it goes.Here are pics of my molds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86714.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	891369