Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

First Scale Project

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

First Scale Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:17 AM
malswift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Scale Project

I purchased a TT MD530 as a first scale project but have decided to paint it in civilian colors. Haven't decided on a paint scheme yet but wanted to poll you guys as to what primer and paint I should use. I will be using Raptor 50 mechanics so I need something that will be resistant to either 15% or 30% glow fuel.

I looked into House of Kolor paints but it seemed to me that it was too complicated a process. Does anyone have any experience with HOK paint application and if so, can you share what steps I need to take to use to ensure I don't screw up the paint job?

Thanks guys!

Ed
[8D][]
Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Scale Project

Spoke to many about this subject after using many differnt paints, And i found the same answer USE AUTOMOTIVE PAINTS ! Can't remember the guys name from a Heli Funfly at Brooks Oregon, But people referred to him as a paint God and he told me the same thing. Yea there messy and the fumes can Kill you. But The outcome is far better than anything else available. Its completly fuel resistant and last for years. Go to a good local paint shop and buy Primer, Top coat, And clear coat. You can Buy some great paint on-line also. Get a Decent air gun, I bought mine at sears for $59.95 for auto paints and it works great. Or you can use a good quality Air Brush Gun it just takes longer. I have found the auto paints are also more forgiving, As in less runs and holds good in corners. Just be sure you prep, Prep, and more Prep and you will be very happy. His exact words where anything else is a waste of time. Besides its what Funkey and others use for there prepainted bodys. Good Luck !
Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 PM
malswift

Jeff

Thanks for the reply.....I had heard that auto paints are the best to use. I just have never used them nor am I familiar with the process. I do have a compressor so a paint gun is what I will use. Looking at DeVilbiss spray guns. I looked at House of Kolor paints but again I am not sure about the process. Went online but didn't find a cheat sheet that steps you through the process of priming, use of urethanes vs acrylics vs enamels, mixture ratios, basecoats, colorcoats, clearcoats, etc........

I think my brain hurts........[]

Can any of you guys point me in the right direction???

Thanks!

Ed
[8D][]
Old 09-30-2008, 02:20 PM
lever02

Make a new friend at your local body shop..........
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM
malswift

lever02

Good idea but need to save the $$$ for buying more helis and fuel . So for the time being, I will have to to do all the labor myself. Looking to purchase a Trex700 Nitro Pro for Christmas so all the pennies are going into that account.

Thanks!

Ed
[8D][]
Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 PM
sikorsky
My Feedback: (123)

just wanted to know what was needed to run a 5 blade set up on a trex 450, maybe someone can point me in the right direction please.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 AM
slider46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a good read on RR in the scale forum about the lightening 5 blade head and some setup tips Also any posting from Super Hornet usually will have a multi blade head for the trex. He actually builds his own heads....
Old 12-02-2008, 05:23 PM
dude7422

hello you can also try local bike hog shop they will have a name or two of people that paint and sum times dirt cheap hehehe
let them sign it [8D] iam thinking of the alien head for my heli
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36534.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1082839  
Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 AM
RodanAZ

Go to your local auto paint supplier, and talk with them about the products they sell. Tell them you are looking for an easy to use paint system (usually some sort of urethane), that isn't overly expensive. I like to use single stage paints that are compatible with being clearcoated. Basecoat/clearcoat 2 stage paints can be a little more complex to use because of the timing requirements, especially when you are doing the work in your garage. Even a single stage auto paint will be fuel proof for nitro. I've been using the BASF Limco system with good results. The HOK paints are excellent if you want exotic colors and are airbrushing small amounts (like doing graphics on motorcycle helmets or tanks, etc.), but you can have the local shop match colors for you and get great results with less expensive products. You will need a good, high volume air compressor, a decent paint gun (ideally, a full size gun for priming and clearcoat, a touch up gun for color, and an airbrush for small areas and fixing goofs). As far as the paint materials, you will need a two part (hardening) primer, paint, hardener, reducer, and clear and clear activator if you are clearing it. It can be expensive, but when doing helis, you will end up with lots of paint left, and build a 'library' of colors eventually, and the products last a long time. I'm still painting with some stuff I bought three years ago.

Here's some examples, all were done with basic auto paints in my garage: