Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Starting into scale.

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Starting into scale.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Pilot_Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting into scale.

Hello there.

I'm currently one year into flying mini electrics and have seen some of the scale helis in this thread which are huge and awesome. That is my next goal..scale.

I briefly looked into Turbine power(enough said there) and that is not an option now. So I wondered if the bigger electric mechanics is where I start if I want to build a scale(large) heli?.... Say an E-Smart 600 frame and mechanics?.. It wouldn't have to be a full 3-D exotic frame since it would be covered with a bulky shell and flying scale right?

This is a plan I have and just wanted to start learning where I have to go in order to make it reality.. Right now I'm just honing my flying skills with mini electrics.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
rotordoc1

Default RE: Starting into scale.

Check out the Swift 16 from Century. They have a great A109 in Coast Guard livery (including retracts) that it just drops into, Here is some videos of two of them.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...11/vg6DJ2QBbUs

and

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...23/rHYKR-V0MgM

The Swift makes a great flying scale heli using 550mm mainblades. You can start with the Swift heli and later add the fuselage.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 PM
alexdrift

check out the electric conversion on this chinook
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8549543/tm.htm
Old 01-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Pilot_Guy

I read that entire thread... That is something that is WAY beyond my skill.

That thing would be literaly scary to fly lol... We have Chinooks flying around here all the time from the military base(Fort Drum) and they always scare the F out of me.

You can usually hear theThowomp of the rotors beating around...they fly above and you can feel the vibrations from it... Yeah those things are a scary looking chopper. I'd never ride in one lol...
Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
rcmiket

ORIGINAL: Pilot_Guy

Hello there.

I'm currently one year into flying mini electrics and have seen some of the scale helis in this thread which are huge and awesome. That is my next goal..scale.

I briefly looked into Turbine power(enough said there) and that is not an option now. So I wondered if the bigger electric mechanics is where I start if I want to build a scale(large) heli?.... Say an E-Smart 600 frame and mechanics?.. It wouldn't have to be a full 3-D exotic frame since it would be covered with a bulky shell and flying scale right?

This is a plan I have and just wanted to start learning where I have to go in order to make it reality.. Right now I'm just honing my flying skills with mini electrics.

Thanks.

To be honest the 600 will run you into some big money. I did my 450 in a 500 Defender fuse for 89 bucks. I was going to do my 600 in a Apache and I was looking at almost 700 just for the fuse. I decided on a 500 size that will run 1/2 that price. The 500 Apache fuse is right at 40 inches long which is a pretty big helicopter. Once I get the fuse done and flying I'll tackle the 4 bladed main and tail bldes. Scale is great just depends on how deep your pockets are.
Mike
Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Pilot_Guy

Exactly.

I have 600esp coming, but I decided to shelf it for now and concentrate on really flying my HoneyBee(100% stock) really well, but these smaller 450 scale fuselages are really nice. I have a Bare frame new Belt-CP I can use for the guts. I believe it would be good enough for scale flights with an occasional loop or two. I'll practice my building skill on a 450 sized scale heli, then move on to the big money, lmao.

I decided on a body or fuselage ..this one.... [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZo6jUC2fNU[/youtube]

Trying to find out who makes that body.... Rivet detail is kind of not scale, but I like it anyways for just some semi scale flying. Add a navigation light and a few other small improvements and this would be one nice heli. I can't wait. Just need to see who makes that body.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 PM
richard1714

I am new to this forum and wanted to see what others thought about scale helis and what they believe are the best models to get. I have an Align 600 and would like an Apache, Cobra, Blackhawk or anything in that realm. I have searched the web up and down and have seen multiple sites with amazing looking helis. Smartmodel has a few nice helis but I have not seen any of these in person. I have watched youtube many times and scale master rc has some of the best I have ever seen. The scale models are new to me because where I live the helicopters are not popular. Everyone around here think that they are to tough to fly and to much to repair. I want to take my time and build a truly amazing machine, and I know it will take time and alot of money, but I am willing to do what I have to do. If anyone couldgive me some advice on where to look it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 AM
rcmiket

There are several extensive threads on scale builds over at these sights.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/f43p1/

http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

http://www.scalerchelis.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=51

Lots of choices out there.
Mike