Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Band saw or scroll saw

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:01 PM
elcam84
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Band saw or scroll saw

Both have their places. I like the bandsaw for roughing out parts then sand to finish size. The scroll saw is good for internal and detail cutting like notches in ribs and formers etc. One issue you will run into with a bandsaw is getting a blade you are happy with. The small table top saws typically have thin fine tooth blades with little set (tooth set) and make a very nice cut with little wander but for larger saws those blades are harder to get. I do woodworking for a living and scroll saws are not a woodworking tool they are a hobby tool.

Check craigslist for both saws especially scroll saws. Scroll saws are easy to find used as lots of people buy them and few ever use them. The Dewalt saw is a very good machine if you can find a deal on one. I have an older Delta one which is Ok. Need to work on trying to fine tune the balance of it to get it just right.

My process... Hack the part out on the band saw and then sand to final shape on a disc sander. Then do any detail notches etc with the scroll saw or other method. An 1/8" bit in a router table is very handy but requires practice. If anyone near FW is looking at what to buy let me know and you are welcome to come over and try out both and see what you prefer. I also have a 2x4 cnc router that will be finished one day...
Old 11-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

I build from plans mostly, and the band saw is my go-to cutter for making my own kits from plans. Mine is a Delta 14" floor model that has a transmission for changing speeds (can slow down to cut metal) but for model building, the single-speed model is cheaper and will cut all woods.

Now to the scroll saw... A scroll saw is a must-have for only one purpose, and that is for making inside cuts. Period. That's it. So with that in mind, spend the big bucks for a really nice band saw that you will use 90% of the time, but buy the cheapest scroll saw you can find because of it's single purpose use.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Oberst
Banned

I got my Scroll Saw and Drill Press at Harbor Freight Tools. They work great and they give you extra blades. You can see them next to my Fokker in the picture.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86504.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1688439  
Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say get the band saw with your eye on getting a scroll saw in the near future. I have both, but seldom use the scroll saw. It will come in handy for scratch building if you have a lot of lightening holes to cut. Another imortant power tool to have is a disk/belt sander.

Scott
Old 11-20-2011, 01:47 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

ORIGINAL: Prop Nut

Although you have made your decision, I will chime in anyway. I also have both and would choose the band-saw, it is more versatile than is the scroll-saw, you can just do more with it. I cut my wing ribs as a block (both similar and tapered) and then slice them off like meat, very handy. Course, that was before I built my CNC router table, now I just push a button and walk away

David

I would like to hear and see more about your router table. Sounds expensive.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:25 PM
saramos

Here's mine. It's a Shark purchased through Rockler for $2500. Cutting area is 13 x 24.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29351.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1689152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80831.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1689153  
Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM
GreenMeanie

I have been watching this one.
Trying to get a YES from the wife.

www.youtube.com/watch

http://www.probotix.com/FireBall_v90_cnc_router_kit/
$599.00
CNC and hardly any sanding.
Cutting ribs on that would be a breeze.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

menards has thier bandsaw on sale 9 inch for $99.00 belt and disc sander for $99.00 the little scroll saw for 49.00 cant remember the bench drill press I think it was 69.00
Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I like all my saws, but I was shocked how much I used the disc sander once I had one..I always thought the belt part would be the most used.. That disc gets a work out on all projects..
Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 PM
saramos

A lot of the parts that I've cut on the CNC next visit the belt/disk sander. For example, the items that I was cutting in the picture I posted had tabs on them so the part could be safely cut. After using a chisle to remove them, the tabs were sanded off. I cut some parts on the band saw last week. Again they went to the band saw to remove the saw marks.

Scott
Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Green Meanie,

do you know anybody who is using this?
It looks like $600 buys you just the router frame, no motors or controller, interface or software.
This would make a very nice tool to cut your own designed parts.