Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Using ModelCad and/or DesignCad

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Using ModelCad and/or DesignCad

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Daveb572

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using ModelCad and/or DesignCad

Gentlemen, I am trying to figure out how to trace wing ribs and other complicated parts into either of the two cad programs I have. I have both DesignCad and ModelCad. I'm trying to use a Vistablet to trace the parts into the cad programs. The Vistablet is compatible with both Designcad and ModelCad. My issue is that while tracing the curved parts I can never get the curve to stay on the screen. The programs always seems to look at the end point and draw a straight line. In other words, tracing the upper curve of a wing rib will yield only a straight line. I can find nothing in the books regarding what I'm trying to do. The reasoning behind all this is that I want to have the parts saved as DWG or a similar file that I can email to a kit cutter and save some money on them doing the CAD work. Would it be easier to just scan the files into either cad program? Any advise? Thanks! Dave Bryer
Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 PM
AntonioA

Default RE: Using ModelCad and/or DesignCad

Hi
There are some programs like Compufoil that have many airfoils and you can save in dxf format and then you can open it in a cad program.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, I've been using Compufoil for the pst 15 years or more. It can't be beat for doing what you want. It DXF's right in to AutoCAD perfectly. Dan.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:03 PM
flyngfrog

Hi,
I have the modelcad 3000 and it has airfoils already. If one of this doesn't meet your needs, you can trace it with the curve option, passing by the coordinates you can establish according to an airfoil specification.
It is possible too paste an image of an airfoil.
at the end of your design you can export the file to a dwg file.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:56 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In Design Cad you can import a scanned 3 view, or other drawing, and scale it up to any size you want. You can also refine a scanned drawing by over drawing it on another layer then using that layer instead of the original.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 AM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Daveb572

Gentlemen, I am trying to figure out how to trace wing ribs and other complicated parts into either of the two cad programs I have. I have both DesignCad and ModelCad. I'm trying to use a Vistablet to trace the parts into the cad programs. The Vistablet is compatible with both Designcad and ModelCad. My issue is that while tracing the curved parts I can never get the curve to stay on the screen. The programs always seems to look at the end point and draw a straight line. In other words, tracing the upper curve of a wing rib will yield only a straight line. I can find nothing in the books regarding what I'm trying to do. The reasoning behind all this is that I want to have the parts saved as DWG or a similar file that I can email to a kit cutter and save some money on them doing the CAD work. Would it be easier to just scan the files into either cad program? Any advise? Thanks! Dave Bryer
DC3 draws two types of curves. The first is a spline curve and the second is a bezier curve. Most drawing programs, such as Adobe Illustrator draw bezier curves. A spline curve is similar to the curve defined on a model when you glue a stringer along a set of bulkheads on a fuselage.

You set three or more points that define the spline curve, then press the "C" key to draw the "C"urve. (upper or lower case it doesn't matter)

If it's drawing a straight line it's because you're only setting the starting and ending points of the spline curve, or you're drawing a bezier curve, but not "pulling" the handle to define the curve.

Ultimately, you want to export the file as a DWG, but there are certain DC3 entities that don't translate well, such as the ellipse. Even when it's trimmed in the DC3 drawing, the full ellipse will be drawn in the resulting DWG drawing.

Dan
Old 05-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Daveb572

Hi Guys! Thanks for all the great advise! I was thinking, (a rarety for me,) that if I could find the airfoil/planform in any of my programs I could go from there. The issue is that I'm unsure exactly what airfoil I need and hunting the right one up will be a lot like work. The plans I'm building from are of a 1/4 scale Schweizer TG-2 sailplane. I was hoping to avoid searching for the proper airfoil to match those on the plans. A heck of a lot of 'em out there, right? I may break down and have the ribs and bulkheads scanned at a print shop then import the shapes into my CAD and go from there. Have a great day, guys! Dave Bryer