Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scratch built oleo struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 02:24 PM
SCrawford
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Scratch built oleo struts

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone had plans for a scratch built oleo strut.
I have made one out of brass tubing playing around but now Im ready to actually build a set for a P-38 project I have on the table.
Im looking for any proven design that may be out there or any sites that may help me. I have all the equipment needed to build them at my disposal just need a good desing.

Thanks Stan
Old 08-27-2003, 03:32 PM
mulligan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you emphatic about doing things yourself? I ask because there are plenty of ready-made oleos on the market that would fit a P-38 nicely.

I asked a similar question some time back, as I'm building a 1:7 C-47, and nothing on the market will work. Unfortunately, I got no feedback.

- George
Old 08-27-2003, 03:40 PM
SCrawford
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your reply George. I know there are alot of struts out on the market and have considered them just to get the plane in the air. I like to scratch build just for the fun of it and if they turn out nice I would use them and if not then I would goto one of the production sets. Seeing as how I have enough other planes already flying I am in no hurry at this time. Im just looking for a good design that hopefully I can build.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:41 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Scratch built oleo struts

I know this is not scale and not an oleo strut but it is eazy and works very well. Landings are bounce free!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34626.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	61407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	61408  
Old 09-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Stan, you might browse a few web sites such as Robart's and that of Century Jet Models and take a look at how they do it. The basic concept is quite simple. Maybe your local hobby shop has some of the Robo-struts in stock that you could look at for inspiration. Good luck with it!
Old 09-19-2003, 07:55 PM
Tamecat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I would suggest is you either find a basic set, tear it apart to see how it is assembled or design one from scratch. I used a basic design with a tube sliding inside a tube. (Theoretical of course) But it showed promise. It was for a Jaguar that I was once building. I had drawn out the whole thing and even started making a mock design. What I am trying to point out is, it's not a hard thing to do.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:35 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, here's how I did it on my Tiggerkitty. And they have lasted eleven years, so far.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1101262

Read and enjoy.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30443.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	62452