Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Drawingboard LT

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 02:15 PM
shaner60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drawingboard LT

Howdy-

Been outta the loop for awhile. Anyone know what happened to MCEsoft and Drawingboard LT? My discs are corrupted and I can't play with all my .vlm files. Thanks for any help.

Shane Wardell
Old 09-11-2003, 06:06 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Drawingboard LT

Mine came on a CD, I never knew it had come on diskettes.

You could possibly contact Ashlar, and they may set you up, if you give them your serial numbers, etc....

[link=http://www.ashlar.com]Ashlar Vellum[/link]

phil in austin
Old 09-11-2003, 06:57 PM
shaner60

Yeah-

I downloaded the 30-day trial like in '99, then paid and registered. Got a book and two 3.5'' diskettes in the mail. Never thought about it until I formatted my disk and tried to reload it.
There's no more MCEsoft website, the tech supprort numbers in the book aren't valid, etc.
I have checked Ashlar's website and they don't offer it. Guess I'll Email them and ask, as you suggest.

Thanks

Shane
Old 09-12-2003, 08:37 AM
Couch-pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=biggrin.gif] shaner60 -check your e-mail
Old 09-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Rocketeer10

I've been using the full version of DrawingBoard for years. I simply love it! Have many plans and 3-views in .VLM format! Wisg they still supported the program!
GY
Old 09-13-2003, 10:04 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

Sorry to say that DrawingBoard and MCEsoft are no longer around. DB is truly one of the best drawing programs around for modelers in general and its really to bad Ashler decided to drop it in favor of the more higher end product - Velum. DB is one of has one of the lowest learning curves of all the drawing programs on the market today and IMHO Ashler made a big mistake as they probably could have captured most of the market share from the other low end product availible today. Actually DB is a lower end by-product of Velum. I still use DB for quick design work or when I scan a rib, bulkhead, or that peice that needs to fit just right.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:52 PM
jschmuck
My Feedback: (4)

Does anyone have a link to this program? I have searched for it and can't find it any place. Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 08:29 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Perhaps some unintentional data got noted here. Go to any of the major web-sites and they will tell you the term DRAWINGBOARD referrs to one of the digitizing tablets made by Calcomp. See example at... http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/laser/laser7.htm

If your refer to LT that is a well known CAD software product even made today by Autodesk.

In the box that the original Calcomp tablet came in were a few drivers, but none of which allowed Autocad LT to be used normally.

Wm.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Highflight

I used AutoCad up to version 14, but with a change in professions, could no longer justify the upgrade expense.

So I looked long and hard for another CAD program that had as much capability as AutoCad and finally came across CMSIntellicad.

It's "almost" a rip-off of AutoCad and is very powerful, plus, you can modify the .mnu file and make Intellicad work exactly like I had AutoCad configured for my preferences.

Intellicad costs only about as much as a typical airplane kit, and with it, you will have a full featured CAD program that will be supported for years and years and years...
As you can tell, I am a former AutoCad user who has found a program that I really, really like, and that was an almost seamless transition from AutoCad.
So many of the "free" and "cheap" CAD products are not only limited, but tend to go away and leave you having to start all over with a different program at some point.
Once you go through the learning curve of Intellicad, it'll stay with you as long as you use it.

http://intellicadms.com/site/CMS-INT...-Products.html
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 AM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

You should look into TurboCad. It does just about anything you need it to and can be found inexpensively on freebay. Current version is Tcad16 but earlier versions are more than enough. You can download a free trial at www.imsidesign.com .
Old 09-27-2009, 12:24 PM
CoosBayLumber

ORIGINAL: Highflight-RCU

I used AutoCad up to version 14, but with a change in professions, could no longer justify the upgrade expense.

So I looked long and hard for another CAD program that had as much capability as AutoCad and finally came across CMSIntellicad.

It's ''almost'' a rip-off of AutoCad and is very powerful, plus, you can modify the .mnu file and make Intellicad work exactly like I had AutoCad configured for my preferences.

Intellicad costs only about as much as a typical airplane kit, and with it, you will have a full featured CAD program that will be supported for years and years and years...
As you can tell, I am a former AutoCad user who has found a program that I really, really like, and that was an almost seamless transition from AutoCad.
So many of the ''free'' and ''cheap'' CAD products are not only limited, but tend to go away and leave you having to start all over with a different program at some point.
Once you go through the learning curve of Intellicad, it'll stay with you as long as you use it.

http://intellicadms.com/site/CMS-INT...-Products.html

I have used Intellicad in the past. It was apaprently started via a few who left Autodesk, then sold their interests to Visio, then Visio sold to Microsoft, then the whole software became public and that is what is on market today. Before Visio got ahold of it I was using it via our school.

There are a few "wrong" items in Intellicad which I use and seems only a few others do. But answers are not the same as those derived via similar Autocad function. Have written them, and they keep seem to forget to alter the software to fix the bad stuff. Oh, well. On to another version then. We'll fix it for sure then.

Wm.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Highflight

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

I have used Intellicad in the past. It was apaprently started via a few who left Autodesk...

On to another version then. We'll fix it for sure then.

Wm.
Just curious Wm., what was the last version of Intellicad you used, and what were some of the "wrong" things that you speak of?

I have yet to stumble across anything myself, but I'd like to explore the things you found a little further because I still haven't found a CAD program other than CMS-Intellicad that has worked as similar to AutoCad.

(BTW; I've been using the CMS version for years, but there is another company that offers their own version called "CADopia" Intellicad. Which one have you used in the past?)
Old 09-28-2009, 08:46 AM
CoosBayLumber

Cannot remember everything right now, but I reported in the bug to one of the several biggie CAD web-forums. Two people piped up there. Each had only used the command once or twice just to see if it worked, not knowing that the bug produced bad results. (Oh, I see now, it is bad. It looked OK, but I assumed...)

I think three firms (or more) are offering Intellicad today, but in their own version. I think it was Bricscad who wrote back that there were a number of bad things about the original Open Version they got, were working on all of them, but did not have the time to look into individual quirks, (too many things wrong to solve everything?) they had to get the next version out and on to the market.

I know that Intellicad understands the format of how drawings are done in Autocad, way more than the Cheapcad versions. It may be a grind, but I always "see" a whole drawing in Intellicad, not jsut the outlines of it. But wish too that they would include drivers for plotters standard in their software as Acad does.

Wm.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Highflight

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

Cannot remember everything right now, but I reported in the bug to one of the several biggie CAD web-forums. Two people piped up there. Each had only used the command once or twice just to see if it worked, not knowing that the bug produced bad results. (Oh, I see now, it is bad. It looked OK, but I assumed...)

I think three firms (or more) are offering Intellicad today, but in their own version. I think it was Bricscad who wrote back that there were a number of bad things about the original Open Version they got, were working on all of them, but did not have the time to look into individual quirks, (too many things wrong to solve everything?) they had to get the next version out and on to the market.

I know that Intellicad understands the format of how drawings are done in Autocad, way more than the Cheapcad versions. It may be a grind, but I always ''see'' a whole drawing in Intellicad, not jsut the outlines of it. But wish too that they would include drivers for plotters standard in their software as Acad does.

Wm.
You do note that Intellicad is way better than any other program in emulating AutoCad (the "Holy Grail" of CAD compatability), and you also note that you wish that Intellicad would include more printer drivers as well as to fix some of the less used command bugs.

But as an AutoCad user myself, I can't help but acknowledge those things and to also sit back and compare Intellicad at under $300 for the full version (and half that for major upgrades), to AutoCad at $5000+ (even the crippled Acad-LT is over $500).

For performance and features, Intellicad is about all that's out there to compete with Acad 2008, and I'm afraid that I'll have to forgive some continuing developmental glitches in order to not have to bite the AutoCad bullet.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 PM
CoosBayLumber

It would be nice to use what you got, but is infeasible at times. Often I hear about folks who do not upgrade their plotter as costs are about $14-15,000 now, as they can hardly afford the software upgrade. Thus I think there is a growing underground that of firms who have certain version of Acad (or other) for sale taht will still work on older design plotters. This is one way of staying competitive with the Jones's.

Have known a few persons who hold on to their pen plotters, but technology has gone past now. Maybe too far. As is cheaper to hold on to a $100 plotter, than to upgrade to a $14,000 one, plus new software. Are we getting away from small business firms and going to biggie only firms here too?

I have used the Austrailian plotter driver, and it doesn't do "everything" as you have to locate a few certain modules in order that it work with modern equipment. I use a late model Calcomp plotter here, and other than paper expense, it does a good job.

Is an avocate for a certain brand of CAD software here, so ahve to watch what I say. But, per my conversation with them, they would sell me the CAD software for $99 and the driver for $395. Credit cards accepted only and price is good only today.

Wm.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:12 PM
waxracing

I know this is an old thread and im sorry
I learnt on this software drawingboard
I have since lost is and I really want a copy of it, Does anyone know how to possibly get hold of a copy
much regards