Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wing template

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing template

Hi guys

Fate made me make a tree of my last aeroplane.

I am busy rebuilding and have encountered a bit if a problem - no wing!

I have borrowed a wing from someone and plan to cut the foam and build my own. What I am really battling with is how to make a template from the existing wing (wing is joined) to be able to cut the foam.

Search as I may, I cannot seem to find any information

Help would be HUGELY appreciated

Thanks

Jeremy
Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand your question. Are you looking for an airfoil shape to use for cutting cores? For the most part there is no real magic to what airfoil you use, the only groups that care much are those racing or in competition gliding where getting the last bit of performance is important. Some details of the model and what you are using it for would help a lot in recommending a suitable airfoil.

Mark
Old 01-07-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Take your time and make a female template of the top wing rib and the bottom wing rib unless it is a symmetrical foil of course, make it fit well then transfer to a single male template.

Bob
Old 01-07-2015, 01:33 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Jeremy,
Was your plane built from a kit? It would help if you posted a picture, Name of the model etc. Someone might have an un-built kit
and could send you a scanned template of the ribs
Old 01-08-2015, 12:15 AM

I should have been clearer guys

This is for a CMPRO Swallow (which arent available locally in ZA anymore) - the wing is joined so I would not be possible to trace off the shape at the root.

What I would love to have is template of the root and tip. I dont foresee a problem cutting the foam if I have these basic components

The other question I would have asked also is if someone could point me to a site/page/information on how to cut the core for the tube joiner (terminology??)

Thanks for the help so far
Old 01-08-2015, 05:19 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a tough one if the 2 wing panels are joined. A bit of work but I think I would first protect the centerline of the existing wing panels with saran wrap or waxed paper. Probably needs to be taped down tightly so its seated tightly against the wing and there are no wrinkles in it. Then I would use self-adhesive foam weatherstripping to outline the root rib. Then, with the wing standing on end, you could use plaster of paris along the weatherstripping, doing the one side first, letting it set fully, and then do the other side with the first side still in place. The fresh plaster on the second side should not stick to cured plaster on first. Then, when the second side is cured, you can removed them, place them back together on a flat surface and trace out the interior shape.

The only thing you'll need to be careful of is that when doing the first side, the plaster does not wrap around the leading edge or trailing edge or you won't be able to remove it in one piece. You can probably use another small piece of the self-adhesive weatherstripping to make a dam at the center of the leading and trailing edges.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clockit
This is for a CMPRO Swallow (which arent available locally in ZA anymore) - the wing is joined so I would not be possible to trace off the shape at the root.

What I would love to have is template of the root and tip. I dont foresee a problem cutting the foam if I have these basic components
Maybe I'm just less concerned about fine details, but for that model I would just cut a new wing using the NACA 0012 or 0015 airfoil and carry on. As I said, it isn't crucial as long as you are in the ballpark and the NACA 00XX series have performed very well on aerobatic models for many decades. At least that way you would get an accurate airfoil without having to go through contortions in an attempt to measure the existing wing.

Originally Posted by Clockit
The other question I would have asked also is if someone could point me to a site/page/information on how to cut the core for the tube joiner (terminology??)

Thanks for the help so far
Have a read through this page for tips: http://www.mackrc.net/patternwings2/index.htm

Lots of guys just cut some teeth on the end of the sleeve and use it to cut the hole.

Mark