Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

? use finishing resin to laminate ply doublers?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

? use finishing resin to laminate ply doublers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default ? use finishing resin to laminate ply doublers?

Is finishing resin OK for laminating ply doublets?
I ran out of epoxy till the first of the month, but have 3/4 of tube of finish resin (both tubes).

This is for a .90 powered scratch built fuse. Wings are recycled.

The fuse side is 1/8" light ply. The forward section has a 1/8" light ply doubler with lightning holes. And the on the inside of the light ply doubler Is a 1/8" birch a/c ply doubler to carry the fire wall.

I have had the unfortunate experience of dissimilar wood warping when use tight bond. So I will only use epoxie or resin from now own for laminating doublers.

The parts are ready to join. But I wanted to pose the question first. And I also took myself out of action for a few days. Tore my hamstrings while running to save our dog from getting hit by a car. Would do it again too.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150203_170716809_HDR.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	2072530  
Old 02-12-2015, 10:14 AM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finishing resin has more solids in it and in some cases the surfacing agent that helps it ti cure the surface. If it has the surfacing agent you will have to sand between each layer or it may de-laminate because a good bond will not be reached as it is a form of wax.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:55 PM
flyingagin

Yeah I have been hesitant to lam the 3 pieces of ply till I can get to the hobby shop next month

I have lamed up glass cowls with it. But theses are very structural

I did not know it had more solids and was waxier. I sure is a lot more runny than epoxy.

Ken
Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I understood that finishing resin is unwaxed because it's meant to be sanded after it cures. So it would be fine for laminating doublers. Mind you so would epoxy.

Polyurethane glue, is another option that cures instead of dries. A little goes a long way so use sparingly and spread it thin. Then clamp with a ton of books or bricks.

A couple of dime to nickel sized bare spots to allow using CA glue to "rivet" the laminations would not be amiss. As you lay the laminations down just press the two CA spots first until they kick. That'll avoid things sliding around on the slipper film of resin or PU
Old 02-13-2015, 06:10 PM
flyingagin

I have 6 bamboo skewer (cut flush) as indexing pins through the laminates each side. Pretty snug holes too. Seem to stay in alignment pretty good. I have had the issue of thing slipping in the past. Even with a of ca on the edges. I had not thought about "A couple of dime to nickel sized bare spots to allow using CA glue to "rivet" the laminations". The upper and lower fingers (extensions) of my doublers are not all that wide[h=3]
I have 3 12" square ceramic tiles plus a lot of extra weights. Some wax paper in between everything.
[/h]
Thanks BMatthews and ByLoudDesign
I will get the fuse laminated in a few days

Ken
Old 02-13-2015, 07:39 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The term finishing resin is a hobby coined phrase and really means nothing in the composites world. I'm assuming because you mention two tubes that it is epoxy based. Epoxies do not contain wax ever. Some polyester resins do as some formulas need to be cut off from oxygen to fully cure, this wax seals the surface and the resin cures. Your " finishing " resin is actually laminating resin and will actually work better for what you want to do then epoxy glue would. It penetrates the wood better for a stronger bond.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:12 PM
flyingagin

Oh I am loving that reply a bunch Thank you
I want to get the sides lamented up so I can then store them
Looks Like I got to put all of my stuff in storage again. That has been the story of the last year

Ken