Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

OPtions for Enlarging Plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:40 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OPtions for Enlarging Plans

I have been hoarding plans for about 25 years and ran across a set of plans I got from Australia several years ago. I would like to enlarge the plans for a bigger aircraft. The question I have is it possible for me to have these plans scanned (and what format would I use) and then have someone increase the size and laser cut the parts for me? I know people do this, and it appears to have become more mainstream and easier than it used to be. Anyone know of someone reputable who might be willing to scan these plans and look to see the cost of laser cuts the formers and ribs for this project? It is Pilatus Porter which I would like to convert to turboprop.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:42 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

I've had pretty good luck with the local Kinkos-Fedex pack-ship-print. They have the large format scanners that can take a full size plans sheet. The scan can be saved as a PDF when can then be printed at what ever scale you like. I end up spending about what it would cost for a set of plans but I have been able to have a backup copy to build on or preserved a copy of some plans that were getting pretty crumbly.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:45 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Doc, I use Fedex also. They will provide you with any file type you need. Dan.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Doc, you might try Laser Design Services. I don't have any personal experience but I have heard that they can convert the plans to a laser ready format and cut the parts for a reasonable price and with reasonable turn around times.

http://www.laser-design-services.com/
Old 05-17-2016, 04:00 AM
DocYates

Thanks guys, sounds like this Laser Design service would be the route to go. I want someone who is able to take the plans and generate a cut file from them and make me a short kit.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:04 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Doc, what happened to your club over there? Is anyone still active?

Carl
Old 05-18-2016, 04:49 AM
DocYates

Carl, Yes we are stilling flying. We have lost a few people to death and old age but there are still quite a few of us who actually fly. We are flying at small airport built by a fellow member of the club. He has a 3000 feet grass runway about 4 miles east of Florence. It is wide open and a lovely place to fly. When the weather is nice you can find us there on most Saturday and Sunday afternoons. We even had a guy fly in with an RC plane strapped to landing gear a few months ago. The club still exists on paper but there are no real meetings or anything other than just flying. Drop by some time and fly with us.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:27 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Doc, just a word of caution. When you scale up plans, there is almost always some deviation from the original print. Something else to be aware of is that you may have to add additional framing or ribs to bridge the larger areas between the ones shown in the original plans. I'm having to redraw, by hand, a set of plans for a boat that I scaled up 20%. While 20% may not seem like a lot, over the length of a model, that resulted in a lot of unsupported skin, going from six frames supporting 24" to six frames supporting 29". I ended up having to add two frames, moving a main cross frame forward and respacing the rest. The bad part is I still have 22" left to go FORWARD of the 29" point that requires respacing and adding more frames to support the main running surfaces
Old 05-18-2016, 06:12 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing no one has addressed is that when enlarging plans all of the lines are enlarged also,
this is where things as far as laser cutting and fitment of the parts can go astray. "Limey Bob" at
Laser Design Services is probably the best that I know of that can import the drawing into a format
he can work with and make things work like they should. I am sure there are others out there that
can do the same but I know from experience he is very good at what he does. Another that I have
used quite often is Eddy Taylor at Lazer-Works in Wichita Falls, TX. http://www.lazer-works.com/main.html
But be prepared for a wait, depending on how busy they are, as it takes a bit of time to convert drawings
to cut files to make them right.

Bill D.