Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Second Iron-On Covering Job

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:42 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My my time just seems to fly by. It has been a long time since I visited with this plane. Made a trip to Florida. Came back to tall grass. All the grass cut and trimmed now I've had a few days of rain. Perfect to finish this plane and post a final picture.

I got the plane setup to install the tail feathers and ran into a couple of problems. First I cut the covering for gluing but I cut too much. So a strip of balsa will show. I will add some covering to conceal the exposed balsa. I thought I had the cut measurements down but obviously not. Not a biggy. Second problem is I need to clamp the top and bottom of fuselage so it presses against the vertical stabilizer. Problem is I need long reach clamps which I do not have. So I made a pair, glue is drying they should be ready tomorrow. Hopefully that will work and I can get the tail feathers glued.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	2227580  
Old 08-12-2017, 07:29 AM
ETpilot

I got the clamps made. Testing to see how they work. Not too bad so far. I modified one of my wood support stand to help support the top clamp on the plane. The clamps need a bit more work but they will work for now. Probably better made of metal but wood will work for models. If I had glue on the surfaces I would be almost done.

I will mark the surfaces as clamped to make sure the fuselage sides were pulled in evenly. Should be done and final picture tomorrow or the next day.

Views:	20
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2227705  
Old 08-12-2017, 10:59 AM
ETpilot

I got the surfaces attached. I had to work fast. Using 30 minute epoxy. Apply glue to the horizontal stabilizer surface. Install surface, pin to fuselage then take measurements to make sure it is parallel with wing and square to fuselage. Them quickly apply glue, install vertical stabilizer, square to horizontal stabilizer. Clamp all and make sure it is all square to fuselage n parallel to wing. Now wait for the glue to dry. Hooray.

Views:	24
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2227733  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:11 AM
ETpilot

Well major building finally done. Still need to add some white strips to the tail glue joints and hook up control pushrods. I'll be using an OS 55AX for power and this plane should fly nicely.

So let's see. I saw this plane in a magazine and it looked easy to build. Easy HUMMMM. Drew out the plans Looked at the wing, tapered so I had to build a wing jig. For the fuselage I had to add some blocks to building table as a temporary fuselage jig. While covering I made a helping hand to hold control surfaces. Finally I made the long reach clamps to glue the tail feathers. That's all I can recall. Started June 20, 2016 and ended today. Lots of delays along the way. Glad the building is over.

Next I'll build a small SPAD airplane. Should be easy. Then wait til winter and start a Killer Kaos or Ultra Sport 1000. I'm leaning more toward the Kaos. .

Views:	18
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2227790  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:15 AM
ETpilot

I think the tail needs a little blue. I will add a name or large letter to the vertical stabilizer.

Views:	21
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2227791