Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

New to design !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 05:43 AM
BrianD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to design !!!!!!!!

Hi, I'd like to eventually design my own aircraft. How complicated is it? Where should I start? What do I need to learn?

PLEASE HELP

Thanks
Brian
Old 10-19-2003, 10:03 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to design !!!!!!!!

You need to get ahold of Bruce Mathews here at RCU. Look for his sign-in at several of the forums arond RCU. He will inform what all is involved.

Wm.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Ozelot

My recommendation for you is to get "The Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design", published by Model Airplane News. It is a great book which gives you a solid base without delving deeply into theory.

Jens
Old 10-19-2003, 05:23 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

...get ahold of Bruce Mathews
Oh sure, ad to my massive workload I have here at RCU already why don'cha.....

Hi there Maple, welcome to the best RC site on the web.

Books are a great place to start. I can't recomend any particular ones as I don't have any but I'm sure the guys can help with some titles. In addition check out the better public libraries in your area. They often have a few books on model airplanes and often there's some info on design in there as well as the purty pic'chures.

But here's my secret weapon that I'm going to share with you....

PLAGARISE LIKE HECK ! ! !

Find a design that's pretty close to the size and proportions you want and then change the tip shape, fuselage shape and tail shape to your heart's content until it's what you want. Keep all the angles the same and if you must change any other dimensions stray no more than 10% in any way. And don't do more than two changes that affect any one aspect. Sticking to these rules will offer you a very good chance that you'll keep your "new" design well within the sweet spot of the original design. I know this is cheating and probably a cheap answer but it's sound as the dollar (oh my [X(] ) and will get you through your first couple of designs in fine form.

As you go along through the above excersice be sure to study every plan you can for ideas on proportions and structure. Pay particular attention to the ones that build lighter stuff and how they ensure the main spars can carry the load. Do some analysis on various model types and study the wing area versus tail area and tail moment (aka tail volume) and after a while you'll find your TLAR computer is pretty sharp on the guesses.

And in the meantime when you get some concept sketches done feel free to submit them here and we'll be happy to rip 'em apa...... er...... that is .... offer up some minor constructive criticisms....

Besides, doing it this way is a LOT less work and you still end up with something you can call your own.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:02 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maple:

Bruce Matthews reminded me of the immortal words of Tom Leher:

"Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes!
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes!
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

Only be sure always to call it, please, `Research'."

Haw.

Bill.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Tamecat

What artist said "A Good Artist Creates, A Great Artist Steals."
Old 10-19-2003, 11:41 PM
BrianD

Thanks All, Is there any certain CAD program any of you would recommend?

I have yet to upgrade my PC, so I had to remove my expensive AutoCad. It took all of my hard drive. Anyway it was only a temporary licence.

I am only just learning CAD as well so any learning tips there would be helpful.

Thanks
Brian
Old 10-20-2003, 02:17 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Try the search option and limit it to this single forum in the selections. The CAD topic has a long and sordid history here. You'll learn all you need about our opinions with the search results.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:43 AM
BrianD

Thanks Bruce!

Brian