Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Thrust Line

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 02:03 PM
dyrbr_d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thrust Line

I am currently working on building a scratch airplane. I was thinking of a mid wing design. It seems that I read somewhere on this forum before that it is a bad idea to have the same thrust line of the engine wing and stabilizer. Should I mount the engine about 1.5 inches below the wing and the stabilizer on the same line as the engine? I remember reading something like this before, I don't remember what the consensus was, and I couldn't find it using a search.

Steve
Old 02-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thrust Line

This is the 'net, and bad information abounds..
There's no earthly reason why the thrust line can't coincide with the wing chord and/or the horizontal chord.
People do that all the time, with no ill results.
There are in fact no "can't-does" regarding this, other than having ground clearance for the prop!
Old 02-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Kenny R

I have to agree with TallPaul completely. I have built a few with the wing and stab on the thrustline. And on the last 3 i have been playing with the position of the horizontal stab, while keeping the wing on the thrustline.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:58 PM
CafeenMan

Having the engine, wing and stabilizer on the same thrust line causes male pattern baldness and sterility. But for some reason, it works fine on airplanes. ???
Old 04-25-2005, 03:39 AM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

Will also cause your children to be born naked.