Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Built from plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:15 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Built from plans

Here is my first and second scratchers. The PT-19 is from a set of free pull-outs in RC Scale international. The Miss Los Angeles is came from a 1981 Model Aviation plan. Both fly supurb!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn37454.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	105403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14818.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	105404  
Old 02-26-2004, 09:27 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Built from plans

I like the PT-19. I had a couple of the Cox C/L models when I was a kid and have been wanting to build something like what you've built for a while. I want mine to look kind of toyish rather than really scale for nostalgia purposes.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:32 PM
vicman

I feel the same way. Hence the tail flag. This one flys great with a clapped out .40LA
Old 02-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goog looking models. Hope your going to put on some additional markings. Will make them look even better.
[&:]
Old 02-27-2004, 08:49 PM
vicman

The PT flys like you see it. I am just getting finished cutting out the numbers and stuff for the Miss Los Angeles. The little helper keeps me distracted.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:12 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

All THREE of the models in the picture are cute as a bug's ear. I gather that since this was a repeat performance you've seen the light and won't go back to those ARF "things"?

So... when's the young tyke going to solo?
Old 02-28-2004, 12:05 AM
vicman

No more Arfs that I will pay for anyway. I have resurected a few from the can at the field and the local hobby shop has given me a few that were pretty hurt by beginners. He gives them to me cause he knows if some one new shows up at the field I don't mind letting them have a go at the sticks. He also knows I will refer them to his store.

Spencer flew a Balsa USA .20 trainer at 18 months. He is still on the buddy box with his LHS demolished/donated Super Star. He can flat tear up a sim though, Mustangs, Helis, and Turbines. He also enjoys the build, we build and fly rockets too.

He is a good son, I am happy he likes sharing the hobby with me.

My next scratcher is going to be an Ag Wagon, after that I am unsure weather to build an SR-71 or an F-20. Yea I got some cool plans!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:28 AM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: vicman

.... I am happy he likes sharing the hobby with me.....

That's super cool that he's already flying. This quote has a ring of a father that is happy to let his son follow his hobby or not as the son sees fit. I've seen too many instances (oddly enough in free flight) where the little guy OR gals (yep) look like they would rather be a few miles away because the father was showing serious signs of "Little League Syndrome". Whatever he decides later on the memories you two are building for now will be priceless.

As for your build list I don't know of any scratch builder that doesn't have a list as long as their arm. I guess it goes with the territory and the lack of being limited by what is avaiable over the counter.

Cheers to both of ya.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:45 AM
vicman

I didn't notice the FF theme earlier. We did a cool thing with a jetex kit. It works great, build a jetex glider, throw the jetex away, put an estes motor in, let mom know she may need to call someone, and begin the countdown. These things are a hoot! We acheived nirvana once, after boost the plane settled into the wind rose about 200ft, stall turned settled again rose and stalled untill it went out of site, I couldn't have been happier. I only wish I had written my phone number on the thing.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:03 AM
BMatthews

Yah, I've managed to loose a few to the Thermal Gods too. It's a bittersweet feeling. You end up tickled that it flew so well and at the sight of the model going up (or at least not coming down) as it circles downwind to Never Never Land. But the beauty of simple free flight models is that they are easy and fun to make more and carry on.