Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

4 Ship Formation Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 4 Ship Formation Flyer

I am ghoing to try and scratch build an unusal project. It is a 4 ship formation all tied together to be essentially one aircraft. The formation will be in a diamond shape. Each individual plane will have a control control function , such as aileron for each out board plane, elevator for the rearmost plane and throttle and for the nose plane. The problem I think I might have for this plane is how would I figure the cg for this plane? If anyone has the plans for this which showed up in a magazine some time back, that would help. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:46 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 4 Ship Formation Flyer

Tony:

I remember the "Blue Angels" kit, and I think the planes were Panthers, the F9F. If I'm right, that would date the kit to the mid or late 1950s, perhaps early 60s. Again, memory says it was a Goldberg kit, don't recall it in a magazine.

Good luck finding one.

Bill.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Ram-bro

oh man your hurting me. So close and yet so far. I think your right about the type aircraft but the yr ha sto be off since I wouldnt have had any knowledge of it at that time seeing t hat I am a young pup of sorts.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:29 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tony:

If I'm right on the age it was almost definitely a control line kit, and it is entirely possible someone later built an r/c version, had it published, and I just missed it.

I have memory of seeing one hanging in a hobby shop in the past few years, but I can't say if it was here in Florida or in Maryland. If here, it was in Radio South, the only shop I visit locally, if in Maryland (more probable) it was either in Laurel or Burtonsville. Don't remember the names of those shops, but a visit to the on-line yellow pages should get them, you can then call and ask.

Bill.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:16 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ken Willard did a Blue Angels version for RC in the late 60's or early 70's for RCM. Don't remember any closer than that but it was powered with a 15. But you're right Will. It's shown up under different guises at different times. I may be wrong but I THINK his was the first. I'm pretty sure it showed up in an English magazine in the 80's. And I think there was a third one as the Thunderbirds in the late 70's or early 80's in Model Aviation.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it was Ken Willard or one of the other old pros that had one in M.A.N in the early 70s. Had the engine only on the front one, ailerons on the outer ones and the whole rear plane tilted up and down for elevator. I think thats how it worked. Getting a little overdrawn at the memory bank.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:23 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez, you guys....do I hafta do EVERYTHING for you?

It was in fact Ken Willard in the Dec. '78 issue of Model Aviation. As I recall, they were Grumman Tigers and the project wasn't as easy as it looked; even master design guru Willard had problems getting the incidence angles and CG of the planes correct. It was a really neat story; he told about launching it (them) a little distance away from the site at a large model meet and the announcer said something like "Ladies and gentlemen, we were lucky enough to get the Blue Angels for today's show, and here they come!" Ken flew it high enough you could barely hear the little OS .10 (I think) over the noise of the crowd and everyone believed it for a little while.

I got this cover pic off the Member's Only link at the AMA website. If the search site ever comes back up, AMA members can download the article itself. I have that issue stored away in my archives I think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47239.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	114127  
Old 03-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Ram-bro

do you know if there were plans included with the article?
Old 03-22-2004, 09:53 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Yes, a typically good Willard plan was included. Might still be available from the magazine!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:00 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Yup, I just checked, it's $11.25 off the AMA website and a reprint of the article is available from the AMA librarian.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:46 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That was the SECOND Willard version. There WAS an earlier one and I'm pretty sure it was in RCM in the early 70's
Old 03-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Ram-bro

I am placing my order for the plans tonite. My plan is to blow them up to about a 40-60 plane and see what happens. Our club is having a contest for strange and unusual planes and I want to blow some minds.....
Old 03-22-2004, 02:54 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: G-man-RCU
Our club is having a contest for strange and unusual planes and I want to blow some minds.....
Yup, that oughta do it I reckon!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:41 AM
dicknadine

consider placing me on your Plan copy list. sounds like MY type of unusual also. dick
Old 03-23-2004, 01:53 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same thought two days ago....honest. Must have been while you were typing it in, but now I know I'm not experienced enough to build it, yet. Keep us informed as to progress. I may want a plan copy also in the future.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Ram-bro

I will have that puppy done and in the air within 3weeks of getting the plans. I want to do the small version and a larger version.....
Old 03-23-2004, 06:41 PM
jester1a
My Feedback: (1)

Not to get into this conversation too late but here is a link to what you are looking for:[link=http://www.oktv.se/hemsida/tmfk/ek.html]Formation fliers[/link]. It's not in english but you might get some ideas from it nontheless.

JESTER
Old 03-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Ram-bro

Hey that is neat. What i noticed is that the he uses the ailerons of the last plane in formation as his elevators. I wonder how this thing flies?