Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

software

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 06:09 PM
kestrel0222
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default software

Hi,
I am from "the old school" of making plans for my new R/C scale projects, I use a drawing board and a drafting pecil to make all my plans. I work as an aero space engineer for a small company and all my work is done on CATIA. I have been working with CATIA full time for over (12) years now. What is a good software program (besides CATIA) to make "plans" for new projects on my home computer? Keep in mind that I design aircraft in the 1/5 scale sizes. The software should have all the tools to add things like "wood grain" and of course, all the text required to make a professional set of plans.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-07-2004, 09:48 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: software

This has been addressed to extreme numerous times. For what you have described, I think you are going to go to one of the big three types of CAD software, Autodesk, Bricscad, or IMSI. Normally I would say to visit the CADALOG site for free demos on latest versions, however if you want to do this type of work at home, their CAD software is too advanced for what readers can afford. The thing with "model" sized software is although cheap, few of them will can work with a drawing size of 36 by 100 inches, nor plot out, show and otherwise work with large sized coordinate basis handles required by 1/5th scale A/C. These more professional softwares have the XREF and paperspace functions within which makes for assembly of a drawing. They also have built in 3D functions, but for plans you will seldom use the feature. Few cheap softwares can read these formats, especially none of the graphics softwares.

The big three have theirown add-ons which cover hatching such as Woodgrains. However, these basically suck and were discussed here about a year ago. The free secondary downloads do not bear much resemblance to what we figure wood to look like. Brics was designed for architects, and in turn developed a following which supported user derived hatching like shingles, rocks, masonry and woods. Autocad is into metals, but will accept most of the hatches, however you will soon find out it is much simplier to sit down and develop an appropriate looking wood hatching in SHX or SHP format as per the manual, and then you can place as required.

Other situation mentioned is text fonts. Many RCU forum readers now have their own pen plotter up and attached as these can be obtained from FREE to $100. They then plot up whole wings and fuselages. However, pen plotters will not accept TrueType fonts. Raster plotters will, but you are now in the near $1000 range for used. Thus you have to trim back your thoughts a bit as to matching operating system to hardware. Think obsolete software here too. You can then run those free plotters.

If you have back of the head thoughts of developing CAD files for laser cutting you need to be familiar with pen plotter languages. This means no professional grade software later than Autocad R-14, Autocad LT, Turbocad R7, or Brics 98. These systems were about the end of the line for common useages of SHX or SHP text styles used by HPGL. Cheap CAD use Windows system fonts, which for the software developers are free, but then again not compatible. Problem being is that these older softwares are also commanding premium prices on the used market now as the users can also attach affordable hardwares and run with an obsolete computer. They still get the quality of modern systems, but by substituting 20 years experience in individual effort for late model automation, you can easily obtain an output which is still 100% compatible.

The three above noted brands also have a digitizer support software onboard. They also have huge internet active forums for drafting, and hardware solutions, drivers, graphics, but little taste for neophyte draftsmen. Until last year, I was running a (formerly $250,000) $150,000 CNC, a (formerly $9000) pen plotter, and a (formerly $5000) digitizer tablet using a $35 computer. If you are happy to create rubber powered or 1/2A sized aircraft plans, go with CheapCAD, otherwise go to more professional-and appropriate systems.

Wm.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:28 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: software

Actually I found a couple of "sort of woody" textures that came with TurboCAD but after using them on one drawing I'm not sure I'll bother any more. I find the textures cloud the details under it more than they help. Or perhaps if I do use them again I'll only do it in small patches to indicate the sheeting rather than shade it all in. For that level of detail the "sort of woody" will do fine.