Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

carbon graphite fuselages

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 10:22 PM
Rahlberg13-delete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon graphite fuselages

Anyone have any experience with carbon graphite used as the main material for the fuselage? I'm worried about it being conductive and interfearing with the radio gear. I know fiberglass is non-conductive.

I've laid up a fuse for my MIG15 but am wondering if I should throw a thin oz fiberglass cloth inside it to be safe. Any sugesstions?

Thanks

Russ
Old 06-27-2002, 10:37 PM
d_trafalgar

I've made helicopter bodies with graphite cloth and had no problems with them. Are you worried that something will touch the surface on the inside and short? I don't think that would be possible. The carbon cloth, if wetted properly, should be seal in epoxy resin and none conductive. You can do a simple test with a volt meter set the that beepy setting..... Move the probes over the surface and check if you get any beeping. Unless you've sanded the inside surface and manage to get both probes on those areas and along the same thread in the weave I don't think you'll find any continuity in the surface. You can always apply a thin layer of epoxy on any area that you might have sanded and reviled some of the carbon.

Cheers,
D
Old 06-28-2002, 07:53 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

Carbon fabric may absorb radio waves (stealth).It is diffiult to tell how it may affect R/ C use. I layup using Aramid (kevlar) if I must consider wieght and strenth . More of a challenge to wet out and cut. Never have I layed up a model in 100% of either composite.

Only in specific locations on the models.

It is lighter than carbon and has more impact and vibration qualities, although not as stiff. Aramid has no effect on radio signals as per my information

Good Luck

Steve
Old 06-29-2002, 12:25 AM
d_trafalgar

Carbon Fibers EMF shielding is very low. When I designed and
manufactured articulated CF enclosures for stabilized camera
systems we had to coat the inside of them to get an acceptable
amount of EMF shielding. As for impact and vibration qualities
....why not just use glass. Some of the glasses they make these days are better suited for model aircraft than either CF or Kevlar
and much cheaper and easier to use. I'm digging deep into my memory and I think it's either E or S type glass that is used to in
manufacturing full size helicopter blades.

D
Old 06-29-2002, 02:43 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stealth, as in the F117, or B2 does not come so much from the carbon fiber, as it does from the shape of the surfaces and the copper screen that is impregnated in the carbon fiber to absorb RF. Carbon fiber will not, repeat will not cause radio reception problems in R/C aircraft.

Vince