Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Guillows B-17

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 06:53 PM
dawie22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillows B-17

anyone now where there is a copy of the plans for this plane as i will have one on order shortly but eager to see what I'm letting myself into and how i can mod it a lil for RC and see if i can make to fly [X(][X(][X(] (hoping i think but worth a try hehe)

much appreciated

darv
Old 08-17-2004, 06:52 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Guillows B-17

Modifying a 4 engine Guillow's kit to RC? More power to you. I can only pass along the mirth and laughter when I showed my P-38 kit to the members of my Japanese RC club (hoping that one of them might like to buy it from me). One guy said it would take him at least 4 years to build it. Another commented on how delicate (i.e. easily breakable) the Guillow's kits are. Another rolled his eyes at the idea of using tissue and dope and several used the word "maniac" which in Japanese is something like saying "building nut" as in your have to be a building nut to want to make one of these.

I originally bought this kit because I had made a lot of the Guillow's kits as a kid and thought I'd try building this one with my teenaged sons. Never happened. Anyway, I never thought about trying to make it fly. As others have said, it's probably easier to build a small B-17 from scratch (from plans) than do all the necessary mods on the Guillow's kits to make them RC capable. Still, people seem to love doing this -- so good luck!

BTW, the box lists this kit as "Giant Scale" at 45" and suggests can be built for U-control with two .049's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16419.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	164784  
Old 08-20-2004, 02:52 PM
dawie22

is this a die cut kit??
Old 08-23-2004, 06:34 PM
wingman2005

i was looking at that kit in my local hobby shop and i thought that it would be an amazing one to build into a 4 engine electric, and then fly with it because i would be the only one at my club with a B-17.......

i decided against it, but i have other plans in mnd......[>:]
Old 09-21-2004, 11:52 PM
divad_strebor

I had a guillow's lightning a few years ago, and i thought it was a magnificent kit. Could've easily been coverted to twin electric rc. There was definitely no problem with weight, it was light as a feather.

If size is an issue, thats no problem either as guillow's plans have outlines of every part in the kit on them. simply enlarge on a photocopier and start cutting. Its easy to alter the structure to suit the size (ie: sheeting instead of stringers)

I just wish i still had my p-38 plans.

I say, Go for it!

- Dave
Old 11-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Bill G

Flying Models magazine featured an article this past year of a B-17 crewman (Joe Kitabash), who converted the B-17 to electric rc, powering just 2 of the 4 engines with speed 400's. He flew it for them, and it is supposed to fly well. I have the magazine, and can provide more info, if needed.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:42 AM
CafeenMan

Somebody has done it. I saw a web video a few years ago of it taxiing, taking off, flying and landing. I don't have the link though. It seemed like a lot more trouble than it was worth.