Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Need help saving CAD file to CD

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Need help saving CAD file to CD

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Billy Haynes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help saving CAD file to CD

I've drawn a plan and want to save it on a CD. Problem is I can't get it to open once saved on a CD (w/program-Adaptec Easy CD Creatior 4)
When I double click on the file icon, AutoCAD starts up but the drawing isn't displayed. It says-- Improper drawing name.
When I open AutoCAD first and try to drag and drop the file, (which has worked for me with other files that were stuborn before) it says-- Invalid block name
When I save it on a 3.5 floppy, the drawing will open up everytime by double clicking. What in the world is the deal here?!?!?! Someone help please...........
Old 10-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need help saving CAD file to CD

Is the file extension on the file on the CD? nnnnnn.DWG..
I have programs that will save files without the extension, and then fail to open the file it just saved, with "invalid file name"...
You might a .dxf save to CD also.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:14 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

This problem was discussed at the Autodesk.com web site about six months ago. May be faster for you to zip over to there and see what matches your situation best.

Wm.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:47 PM
ger21

Try using the recover command. Start with a new blank drawing. Type recover. Pick the file you're trying to open.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Billy Haynes

Tall Paul, yes it says .DWG
ger21, recover didn't work either
CoosBayLumber, thanks for the tip, I'll go over & check it out after I post this.

Think I found the problem, I just don't know how to correct it. As you might can tell, I'm not knowledgeable about computers. I looked at the properties of both the 3 1/2" floppy & the CD. The only difference I could see is the floppy had Archive checked & the CD has Read-Only checked. I just don't know what to do with this information....LOL
Old 10-04-2004, 04:32 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A CD file will always show as "Read Only" since you can't write to that medium.

It's odd that you can't open it though. Unless your CAD needs to write a message to the file as it opens perhaps. Try copying the file back from the CD into your hard drive and then open the copy. I had some software that would not run from the CD I'd backed it up onto but it would run fine once copied to the hard drive and started from there.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:19 PM
cltom

If it works with the floppy, but not with the CD, then it's obvious that the "read - only" state of the CD is the problem.

There is some small bug in your operating system, the CD drive, or how AutoCAD was installed. It's preventing the normal AutoCAD response, "File is read only - open anyway?"

The issue could also be with Easy CD Creator. There were numerous versions of Easy CD Creator and CD recording drives that had less than reliable performance and compatibility.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:05 AM
jacs

Problem is that Autocad wants to be able to write in the directory that the file is open from and that can't be done in a CD, try an make a copy from the CD to the harddrive and open it there instead.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Billy Haynes

Thanks everyone!!! I saved it to the hard drive and opened it vs. try'n to open it from the CD. I got a message- XXXX is currently in use or is read-only. Would you like to open the file read-only? I clicked yes, and there's my drawing You guy's are great![8D]