Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

X Calibur

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 03:52 PM
bbt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: X Calibur

Slade,

the PDF files are ready. How do I get them to you?

BBT
Old 01-31-2005, 04:38 PM
bbt

OK, I've sent the files to Terry

BBT
Old 01-31-2005, 05:48 PM
triangle
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks guys this is excellent. Can someone recommend a company that cuts all the stuff laser preferrably, looking foward to building one for my zdz 60.... another thing, if you are going to produce the canopy and cowling, would you sell me 2 pairs??
Old 02-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Stiks

Slade

Just a question regarding the second wing, is it constant cord or constant thickness aerofoil? Cause the way I'm looking at the plan sheet it seems to be a constant thickness wing. What am I missing??

cheers
Stiks
Old 02-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Looper
My Feedback: (22)

Hi, everyone. Now that Paul has finished the plans, let's keep the thread going. Maybe if we find a cutter we can get a better deal on mutiple kits rather than have each of us go our separate way. Also, I would like to see a build form started. This would be a big help to all of us and a way of showing Paul our gratitude for his generous work on a superior plan. Thanks, Paul!........Looper
Old 02-01-2005, 09:29 PM
SilverEagleBW
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Looper,,,,,,,

Stiks,the second wing is a constant chord/thickness wing just like the wing on a Funtana 90,uses the NACA 0014 airfoil.

Triangle,a ZDZ 60 is a little much for this plane,but heck,go for it,just make sure you gusset the heck out of the plane up front.One thing i would do is to totally sheet the airlerons if i where to use a ZDZ 60,interplane struts on the tail,and change the wing tube from a one inch to a 1/ 1/4 inch tube.Then buy some very strong metal gear servos,,,,remember fly this plane slow,not designed for speed.again,flutter kills!

More planes will be coming,,,,

Oh,the canopy and cowl,,i got to make a vacuum to vacuum form the canopy and cowl,gonna warn you right now,my stuff will be far from perfect cause i never vacuum formed much before,i'll figure it out though.Wonder if i sent some stuff to those guys that make fiberglass cowls and stuff if they could make a cowl and wheel pants for this plane,maybe i will email the and see.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:50 PM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Paul, Jim Conachen of http://www.conachenaircraft.com/ might be someone to look into for producing glass cowls and wheel pants for your KatanaX design. Think a Webra 120 Speed is too small for this design? I've read that this engine should be able give a 12# plane unlimited vertical.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 PM
triangle

don't worry about it slade, y made the plans bigger, w/acad, now the wingspan is 84". I'm in the process of adjusting all the dimensions on the plans to the original, do you think i can keep those original dimensions as in stringers, former thicknes etc and be able to take it to 84" or should i go up to the next size??? let me know bout the cowl and canopy.
thx
Old 02-02-2005, 10:08 AM
SilverEagleBW

Terry,That engine has 3.2 hp,weighs 1 1/2 pounds,will do the job without a doubt.Got to lighten the tail end up some so you don't have to add alot of weight to the nose.Lighten the tail feathers as i discribed above,then remove former FT-2 and replace it with two strips of 1/8 x 1 inch balsa running from F-3 to F-5 ,then cut lightning holes if formers C-1,T-1,T-2,that will help..I am guessing the plane will weigh around 6 to 7 pounds framed up,you might be somewhere around 9 to 10 pounds ready to fly.I need to get one built to see where these numbers actually are.
Maybe i should do a 'Lite' version of this plane using 1/8 balsa for the sides and a few other things i have in mind for it.See what i can do today on that and send you the plan changes.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:24 AM
SilverEagleBW

Triangle,,,,,change the wing tube to 1 1/4 inches x 36 inches long,be carefull of that lenth to make sure you hit rib #W-5 just right,3/32 sheer webs.Use 1/4x1/2 main spars on the wing,sheet the airlerons.Change the former F-1 to 1/4 lite ply,change the longerons on the fuse from 1/4 sq.balsa to 1/4 spruce and also change the front deck 1/4 sq spruce to 3/8 sq. spruce.The total width of the leading edge should be 1/2 inch.The rear spar,upgrade to 3/8 balsa and the aileron leading edge to 1/2 balsa.might have to do some fudging on the aileron leading edge to fit.Get some foam and hotwire the turtledeck and sheet it with 3/32.make sure the turtledeck is hollow or you might end up tail heavy,keep it around 3/8 thick.The rest u can use the same size stock as on the plans.I will make you the canopy,just going to need some time for that,i do have alot of other plans i have to get out.On the cowl,it has to be made of fiberglass,i can't work with that stuff,allergic to the resins,which SUX!

I will add an 84 inch version to the list of plans to do here,when i am done i will send them to Terry,,,,
Old 02-02-2005, 11:13 AM
triangle

THANKS SLADE
Old 02-02-2005, 12:03 PM
SilverEagleBW

Y/W Triangle.
Terry,working on those changes now,get a new set of plans to you sometime today.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:20 PM
triangle

sweet guys, i'm gonna work on the material list as soon as i get them, any word on the kit cutting companies???
Old 02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
bbt

Slade,

I understand that you are using the NACA0014 for the wing. Due to the constant chord/thickness wing, the Katana-X is showing something like a NACA0007 at the root and a NACA0018 at the tip of the wing with a constant thickness of 2 inches.

I am not an expert in this domain but I have two questions about this:
- Is a 7% root thickness compatible with the expected flight characteristics of the plane at low speed?
- Would it be a better choice to go for something thicker at the root (12% or 14%) and increase the thickness at the tip to match the constant thickness criteria?

In addition, could it be possible to provide a wing section drawing at W5 level?

Thanks,
BBT
Old 02-02-2005, 03:38 PM
SilverEagleBW

bbt,i started with the 0014 and increased the chord to 18% to give me the thickness at the tip,which is an 0018,then taperd it to the root to keep the constant thickness.Ok,now will this work at slow speeds?Take a look at the wing design of the Funtana 90,same deal..I'll post a cross section at W-5 here in a bit..
Old 02-02-2005, 05:08 PM
canadagoose

Having a thicker airfoil at the tip than at the root should effectively act like washout in having the wing stall at the root first, which is what you want. The thicker airfoil section should stall at greater angle of attack than the thinner section. The thicker section should also provide more lift than if it were thinner.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:15 PM
SilverEagleBW

Terry,thats the way this puppy functions,

Working on that lighter version,still got a bit more to do,
Old 02-02-2005, 05:29 PM
SilverEagleBW

If you take a real look at the root cord at the wing,it is not one airfoil but two different ones i combined .The front is the modified 0014,the back is a cutom deal i had to design.They are both based on the 0014 but the rear section is a more modified version,that is one reason this plane took so long to produce.I had some doubts about several things on this style wing and went through just about every possibility in designing this wing.This is the only way i saw that it would work.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:27 AM
SilverEagleBW

W-5
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44289.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	224348  
Old 02-03-2005, 05:55 AM
bbt

Thanks Slade!
You are the best
Old 02-03-2005, 06:58 AM
SilverEagleBW

Y/W bbt,,,,

Terry let me know if you got those two plans,,It's 4 am and i can't see anymore!LMAO![8D]
Old 02-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Boogie

This is really great what You have done!!!! I have slightly modified the pland and reduced them to make Funtana .40 Right now I am only wondering if I should have one piece wing or 2 joined with a tube?? I want to keep the wing fairings (?) the ones that are in F90, but not in the original Hangar 9 .40.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:11 PM
canadagoose

I got the plans and put them up but the third one that wasn't named was another copy of the second sheet.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:15 PM
SilverEagleBW

Terry,The third is a correction,just forgot to label the lite ply fuse side#FS-1,no biggy,,,,

Boogie,best to make a two piece wing if you want to keep the fairings.

Later tonight i will send in the last wo sheets for the lighter version.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:35 PM
triangle

Guys, the 120 light version, will be probably a great electric conversio!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.