Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Balsa wood supplier

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Pete S-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa wood supplier

I just recieved my plans from Ziroli for the F9F Panther.
Where is a good place to buy the wood?
The kit cutters are too busy, 2 month wait so I think I'll do it myself.

Thanks,
Old 01-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Siefring

Default RE: Balsa wood supplier

I just went through comparing prices for a good size balsa order. I can't comment about quality of wood from each supplier, but my scan of RCU posts indicates they are all pretty good. Maybe someone else can comment. Here are the ones I looked at, ordered approximately by price.

1) BalsaUSA [link]http://www.balsausa.com/[/link].

2a) Lone star [link]http://www.lonestar-models.com/[/link]

2b) National Balsa [link]http://www.nationalbalsa.com/[/link]

4) Superiorbalsa [link]http://www.superiorbalsa.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi[/link]

They are all much cheaper than SIG or Midwest. I have had reasonable luck with the Tower Hobbies Balsa but the weight and hardness varies quite a bit.

Carl
Old 01-14-2005, 08:57 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete....

May want to contact Bob Holman in about a week or two. He did a batch of Panther's for a customer back in October. He cut too many and was trying to pawn off one on me. As on end of December, he still had two nearly complete kits sitting near the door ready for shipping.

Contact him after the 20th to see if they are still around. They may have become firewood.

Wm.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Pete S-RCU

Thanks for the information guys.
I'll give Bob a call first, as it would be nice to get a complete kit.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:15 AM
Flying Hog

Pete, I am building a Wendell Hostettler 30% Decathlon and have got my wood from National Balsa. All the wood I got was top notch and true AND in less than 4 days. I'm very happy with the Quality...Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Sense963
My Feedback: (10)

Might also give John Valentine a call @ Top Notch Products in Goodlettsville, TN. [email protected] is his email. He's a modeller here in mid TN, and I invited him to do a presentation at our club meeting last year. Very impressive, and he's going to be cutting my Ziroli Zero this year. Ph is 615 310 5371
Old 01-16-2005, 04:48 PM
dicknadine

my best suppier has been Lone Star, any problems,give them a call and its resolved quick. have received probably somewhere's around $800 worth and only 1 complaint , and resolved with next day replacements. be sure to specify want you want- hard- medium - soft - or don't care. don't forget they are Bulk suppliers, for individual peices - support your local hobby shop dick
Old 01-28-2005, 09:18 PM
mokipitts
My Feedback: (6)

I have bought bundles of wood from places like Balsa USA, or Lone Star Models, or it may be Lone Star Hobbies. They sell in large or small quantities. But you know I am fixing to build a 50% J-3 Cub, and Im thinking a lot of the fuselage and maybe the ribs will be 1/4 inch birch that you buy at Lowes in 4ft by 8ft sheets. I will probably be using an air tool to locate various large diameter holes in the ribs and fuselage sides for the purpose of making the airframe light.