Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Plan built extended wing Lazy Bee covering advise

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Plan built extended wing Lazy Bee covering advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 05:18 PM
dbruening80
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan built extended wing Lazy Bee covering advise

I recently completed an extended wing lazy bee from plans I acquired 10 or so years ago. I am having a delima choosing a covering material for the aircraft. Andy Clancy recommends Litespan and Balsaloc to cover the airframe, I have used this combo in the past and was less than pleased with the results. I would like to use an iron on plastic film. It will have to be fuel proof as I am using an os .15 for power. Airframe warping is a concern so high shrink films are out. I have used monokote in the past I believe it would warp the airframe. Obviously the lighter the better, but I am running micro gear so a little bit heavier covering would not be a problem as I am willing to sacrifice some weight for strength. I have researched so-lite and ultracote lite as some options but I am concerned these would be too light. If anyone would have some additional suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance for all replies.

Doug
Old 03-05-2005, 12:33 PM
dicknadine

Default RE: Plan built extended wing Lazy Bee covering advise

there ain't anything wrong with Mono Coat. I use it on all sizes up thru 80+". its amatter of learning how to use your iron, after you have a structure strong enough for the covering matl. take it easy and shrink/smooth out a small area at a time, don't try to do it all at once. practice/practice dick
Old 03-06-2005, 11:14 PM
dicknadine

go to your local K-mart/Wal-mart and got to the fabric dept. start going thru the piles of fabric, ask for help from the clerk- most are semstreses. pick ot a floralpattern or whatever and apply some contact cement to the structure, apply fabris- stretch as tight as possible and then with a cool iron start to iron it down- ala mono-coat. try it and try it-most of the time it works and a floral pattern looks good. dick
Old 03-06-2005, 11:15 PM
dicknadine

boy I must be tired, as I read my P-- P--r typing. idea still works. dick
Old 03-12-2005, 01:00 PM
dicknadine

Whats the current status on The BIG BEE? have you tried the fabric method yet? dick
Old 03-20-2005, 09:44 AM
omawho
My Feedback: (12)

We,, don't just leave us hanging... What did you decide to use and how did it come out. I got a Bee here in the box and I would be interested as to how your's finished up....
Old 03-20-2005, 11:19 AM
dicknadine

Guess he is still trying to decide how to come out of the closet. mono-coat is suitable for all sizes and structures- not including the micro film planes. like all of the covering matl- it takes practice and pratice, sometimes a few #^%#$# words help, not often. dick
Old 03-21-2005, 05:10 PM
dbruening80
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry guys, got sidetracked with another project. I tried the monokote on the wing but it just shrinks too much and would really induce some warps. The plan that I built it from even has a disclaimer stating to use monokote at your own risk as it can severly warp the structure. I am going to try the coverite "coverlight" material. It is a fuel proof lightweight material that is applied using Balsarite. It looks like classic tissue+dope but much stronger. A member of our club has been using it for a while on his smaller airplanes and the material holds up well. I am sure it will take some practice but I wont have to worry too much about warps. If my camera was working I would post some pics to show just how flimsy the wing is. Dick, the floral fabric is interesting, any pics?
Old 03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
dicknadine

here is a 31" original of some 20 years old, covered with floral cloth, its pretty well deteriorated from hanging in the outside shop. the others that I have covered with fabrick have been givin away or sold. it works and gets some fancy and caustic remarks at the field. reason being none of the fellows are scratch builders and only know the shiney stuff- Mono coat. try it. dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23649.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	247184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24915.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	247185