Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

scratch buildiing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 03:29 PM
rthalls
My Feedback: (63)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratch buildiing

would like information on cutting out 52 ribs -- this would be too time consumeiing one at a time. thanks bob
Old 03-23-2005, 03:57 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: scratch buildiing

CafeenMan's web site has a page just for that.
http://airfieldmodels.com/informatio...ribs/index.htm
Enjoy,

John
Old 03-23-2005, 03:59 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Stack some wood and cut them on a good bandsaw (obviously not all 52 at one time). Another choice is send a template to someone with a laser cutting machine.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:07 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Do a few at a time and then do something else for a while then a few more. Before you know it you'll have your stack of ribs and half the rest of the model built.

Or the time honored method of two plywood templates, a big stack of rectangular blanks, bolt the whole works together with a template on each end and then carve and sand away until you have a block of rib salami. Notch the spar slots while stacked. Number the ribs as they come off the stack and use the numbers correspondingly from tip to tip so any minor variations are graduated over the whole wingspan.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:12 AM
CafeenMan

I put my cutting matt on a table in the living room, pop in a good war machines video and start cutting. By the time I've watched a movie or two I have a set of ribs.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One guy I know built a Top Flite Corsair, knowing full well he would have people asking to buy it or have him build one for him. He copied every rib and former to aluminum plate. I'm not sure how he got the aluminum templates so nicely made, but they are. He has built several for people with his selection of wood, cutting the parts from flat stock, using a #11 blade for the balsa stuff.

His version has an enlarged rudder and elevator, I know he's built several. Anyway, a #11 blade will do the job, if you have a steady hand or a suitable template.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 03-24-2005, 12:57 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

I usually take a stack of 5-10 rectangle pieces. Trace the template to the top piece and then T-pin them together in several places. Bring them to my scroll saw and cut them out. If you did stacks of 10, that's only 5 stacks. You will have more time cuting the rectangles and pinning them together.

When you get your stack cut out, take a block sander and smooth out any inperfections. Works great. I just made some for a new fun fly......
Old 03-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

I own my own CNC Laser cutter, If you give me the details of the wing planform, spar locations etc. I can export CNC right out of Compufoil 3D. Here is a simple set of profile ribs I did up for a guy in florida. Shoot me an e-mail if interested.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43360.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	248574