Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Free Flight -- Harbor Freight Build Challenge

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Free Flight -- Harbor Freight Build Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:44 PM
JeremySutton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Flight -- Harbor Freight Build Challenge

Hello novice builders:

Are you looking for a cheap and easy builds that you can do in a evening (great fun when you're busy at work) using meat trays from the grocery store for the body? My friend and I have started building free flight planes by gutting motors/props/batteries from $6.99 Harbor Freight planes. It's been a lot of fun and we think many other novice builders will enjoy it as well.

We invite to join our competitions:

http://rcplanepilot.blogspot.com/

Best,

Jeremy Sutton
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Free Flight -- Harbor Freight Build Challenge

I've got the Biplane trimed out to fly to about (wild guess) 75' altitude. Lots of fun for the money.
Edwin
Old 01-03-2006, 07:00 PM
JeremySutton

Edwin,

Yah they are a lot of fun. My bi-plane needs to be trimmed. My friend is considering adding micro RC components to one of these planes and flying it as RC.

You can buy a premade one for $40, but the fun is making it yourself.

Jeremy
Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Edwin

I did about two or three wraps with some thick packing tape around the cowl and balanced it at the leading edge of the lower wing while holding it on the top wing. Then did a BUNCH of toss glides into tall grass to adjust the rudder and elevator. Once that was done I put just a touch of right rudder in it. Spirals up and spirals down really nice. Another guy has the cessna looking one and it flew just as good. I considered making it RC but when you look at the weight it will add, dont think it would be worth it. But it might though, give it a shot and let us know.
Edwin
Old 01-03-2006, 11:08 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

I have two that I need to get out and fly. I first heard about them through some other NFFS guys a couple of years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90466.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	380617  
Old 01-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Edwin

Thats the one the other guy. Should fly good.
Edwin
Old 01-04-2006, 08:38 AM
JeremySutton

I own all three Harbor Freight models: (1) Cessna (2) bi-plane (3) sail plane. My neighbor has the ultra light as well. The Cessna's seem to perform best. We have owned at least three of them per person. They reach near 100' and we've lost them over high school into neighborhoods. They fly very well.

I challenge you guys to build a pair of skis or floats for your plane and have it land successfully. If there is snow (ice) you should be able to do a rolling take off. Seriously...I have it on video online and pictures are posted.

And eventually your planes will crash and break, but you'll still have a good motor, prop, and battery/charger, which you can build a plane from scratch and install the motor.

Check out:
http://rcplanepilot.blogspot.com/

Jeremy