Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

200% size slow poke

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:20 PM
crazy kind of free

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200% size slow poke

Hello all

I am in the process of building a custom slowpoke sport 40 that will be twice the size as the original fun version. The plane will have a wingspan of 10' and a wing chord around 32". The fin, rudder, elevator, and stabilizer are all done. They are huge! I will post pics as soon as I can. I really want to know if anyone else has been crazy like this and what there expireance was. I have flown large size aircraft for some time now; but the have always been 1/4 and 1/3 scale. I am hoping to build a relationship with other builders as nuts as I am.

I will post pics soon. I have video of the Koroitz engine I rebuilt and fired up after 20+ years of sitting dormant. I will post that video soon too. The engine swings a 22" prop. I am hoping that will give me the power I need and provide good smoke.

God Bless
Old 07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: 200% size slow poke

Check out this post from a few years back...I took the slow poke 40 and enlarged it 150%!!! Came up with a 27" chord for the wings...project weighed around 15-17 lbs...built the fuse out of foam and balsa/ply..powered it with a MDS 2.18...just a big floater...i still ahve it hanging in the basement...haven't flown it in a couple years...I used Robart struts for the landing gear with 5 1/2 " wheels

It was fun to build and definitely catches attention at the field

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...tm.htm#1782252

If the link doesn't work just go to the search area and type in "giant slow poke"

Thanks Tom
Old 07-28-2006, 06:12 AM
crazy kind of free

I love the pics Tom!

Is your wing a 2 piece? I was worried about the weight of the project. I think I will be pushing about 25lbs because I am using plywood and balsa on the fuse and building up the mount and wing area to hold the giant koroitz engine. I can't wait to see that big monster belching thick smoke as it mopes through the air. Thanks for the reply Tom. I hope I can have more dialog with you during the rest of the project.

God Bless

Josh
Old 07-28-2006, 09:54 AM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Josh......

The wing is a 2 piece with a plywood spar....The tail surfaces are built up but everything else is 1/16 sheeted foam...the turtledeck has stringers on it and isn't fully sheeted. I did re-inforce the nose area and have the large glow eng on a removable plate....I can't remember for sure but I don't think I needed and added weight in the nose or tail to balance.

A friend of mine was also building one and we had all the foam parts cut out but he never finsihed it. We thought it would be cool to do some slow chubby formation flying with them....

Send me pics of your progress....

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
crazy kind of free

Here are a couple pics of what I have built so far. I put my twist in the back-ground to give a size reference. The main former and the bulk-heads on the fuse are all assembled. I hope to complete the fuse by next week.

Here is my koiritz engine on an old 1/3 scale volksplane durring the test run progress. The engine runs great!

Old 07-28-2006, 09:44 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I flew a buddy's Slo Poke one time and found that if you let the speed come up at all that it had a strong tendency to try to tuck the nose and begin a "Death Dive". It was easily pulled out with elevator but it pointed out the issues of short tail moment arms and WIDE wing chords in combination with airfoils with strong pitching moments like the thick and flat bottomed Slo Poke one.

I thought at the time that some reflex in the trailing edge to make the wing section into sort of a "flying wing" or at least a lower pitching moment sort of airfoil would be an excellent mod. If it's not too late you may want to consider such a thing.

That way the stabilizer would not have so heavy a workload and at least moderate dives would not come with a "surprise in every box" like the stock design does.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:16 AM
crazy kind of free

Thanks for you input and advice. I can see your true knowledge and experience in aerodynamics. I have been flying the beloved slow poke for about 6yrs. I have learned that if you do a high speed maneuver you have to work the throttle and elevator constantly. I am used to it but it does scare the tar of new fliers. I will certainly look into applying your advice. I don't want to lose this investment over a simple airfoil change.

Thanks again Bruce.

PS I am going to increase the aileron size by one wing bay and put two servos on each aileron so I can combat wind at low speeds. I found the original size was a little anemic at slow speeds.

PPSS I should have some pics of the fuse progress soon.

Take Care and post again soon! I love to get input and ideas from others
Old 07-29-2006, 08:03 PM
crazy kind of free

Here are some more pics of my prgress on the 10' slow poke. I also have the links for the video of the test runs of the engine.

let me know what you think

Here are the video links.

[link=http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=980371624&n=2]run up[/link]

[link=http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=980409495&n=2]run up 1[/link]
Old 07-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Brother_Dust

Wow that thing is massive. any pics of the wing progress yet?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:45 AM
crazy kind of free

I havn't started the wings yet. I am still desciding on a two or three piece lay-out. I also want to incorporate some hidden bomb bays and maybe some ultra-bright LEDs for late evening flying. I really want to put all my ducks in a row before I do the wing.

I should be starting it within the next week or two.

Thanks for the input!
Josh
Old 08-01-2006, 09:07 PM
crazy kind of free

Here are some pics of what I got done this morning. I am an early riser and putting and hour or two on the plane before work is a great way to start the day.

Take care all

Old 08-03-2006, 07:13 PM
pipercub6
My Feedback: (16)

HI Crazy,

Your Slowpoke is going to awesome!!!!! Excellent build on the plane so far can't wait to see the wing. I went Stick crazy back in the late 80's and kept enlarging the Balsa USA Stick Trainer. As long as you keep it all proportional I think you will have no major problems with it. Here's a pic of my sticks going from a 60" to an 80" to a 120" wing span.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23765.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	501330  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:46 AM
crazy kind of free

Thanks for the kind words and the incouragement "piper". I LOVE your pics of the "sticks". In a world were everything is getting smaller and smaller, It is nice to see there are a couple people still flying the "CRAZY" flag at the model field. I look forward to future posts and pics with you.

Happing flying and oversizing!

Josh
Old 08-09-2006, 12:03 PM
crazy kind of free

Well friends, The fuse is almost complete! I am working on the turtle deck and doublers and then going out to buy a trailer to haul it (just kidding). The size of this ting is taking me more and more off guard. The weight of the fuse will be about 12lbs. I can cut out some ply to lighten it up, but I will do so after I balance the uncovered plane complete. I am workin on making a two compartment bomb-bay behind the wing for candy, ping-pon ball, streamer, and tennis ball drops. It will also serve as a good camera bay. I am going to nix the light idea. I will also make a hatch in the front for balance weight if I carry somthing heavy like a camera in the rear. I hope to have some pics tonight of my progress posted soon. If anyone has any ideas they want to share, I am all ears, razor blades, and balsa

Take Care and happy flying!

JOSH
Old 08-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I weep for the tragedy in the Monokote forests when they're stripped for covering that thing!
How many acres of covering will there be?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:15 PM
crazy kind of free

Just enough to make my wallet "CRY OUT" screaming MERCY! MERCY!

I just hope that the monoke does not return to the monokote forrest once the big bertha is finished and flying . I will video tape the first flight just to be on the safe side.

Take care and post again soon

Josh
Old 08-10-2006, 10:00 PM
crazy kind of free

More pics of my progress.

The fuse is around 8' long.

Take care all!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:39 AM
crazy kind of free

Here are some more pics of my progress. I am sorry I havn't posted in a while. The bomb-bay is installed minus the doors. I will be starting the wing soon so I enlarged the plans today. I was not prepared for the size of the wing chord. I put my oldest son in the pics to give a size reference. He says its just his size. He is not sitting in the plane, he is on the other side of the plane. I just couldn't resist the temptation to capture the moment! I am now thinking about making a 3 piece wing with the center section going out to the landing gear. That will add strength to the design and make field assembly easier. If anyone knows were I can get som large diameter alum. tube, Please let me know. I will need about 4' of the stuff.

Take care all and have a happy flying!

Old 09-01-2006, 01:00 PM
T_om

ORIGINAL: crazy christian

Just enough to make my wallet "CRY OUT" screaming MERCY! MERCY!

I just hope that the monoke does not return to the monokote forrest once the big bertha is finished and flying . I will video tape the first flight just to be on the safe side.

Take care and post again soon

Josh

Cover it with Laminating film ($16.95 for a 24" wide 200 foot roll) and paint it.

Tom
Old 09-02-2006, 06:13 AM
crazy kind of free

Thanks for the info tom! Only one problem; What is laminating film, where do I get it, and how do I apply it? Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 AM
crazy kind of free

Well friends.......I'm BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After leaving the project for over a year to complete other projects and tie up loose ends, The Giant slow poke project is underway again!

I have the left wing outer panel is done (for a year now) and I am now working on the center section. I ran into some engineering issues (wing joining method, servo locations, and aileron size). I came to a solution that makes me very excited. I am going to build the center section with flaps that will double as ailerons in mix mode. This will enable me to increase aileron control and at the same time have the ability to drop flaps for super slow fly-bys. Here are some pics of the progress so far. I purchased a Q52 for the power plant and plan to use that rather than my 42cc Kroitz engine.

I am sorry for dropping off the radar for soooooo long! I look forward to future posts and input from you wonderful people.

Take care!
Crazy

Old 01-07-2008, 06:55 AM
crazy kind of free

Ok friends.....

The center section is framed up (rough framed that is). The left and right wing panels will connect to it and extend to where the ailerons start. I love working on birds this size because you can float build your assemblies so you donn't have to worry about pin holes or warped building boards.

Take care all!

PS My Kicker turned my glue joints white. It is a good thing I am not building a transparent wing or I would be in trouble
Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 PM
///////|lpine

Welcome back. Shes looking nice, good luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:21 PM
mickeymouse23
My Feedback: (1)

Do a search for doculam on here and you will find a very cheap easy to use covering. This is were most are buying it http://www.laminatorwarehouse.com/la..._film.shtml#62 you can paint the inside with just about any paint.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:56 AM
crazy kind of free

Have you ever had a reality check in the middle of stripping out 1/2" sheeting into sticks?..................ME NEATHER!

OK.... It may not be a reality check, but it is the realization that "your giong to need a bigger boat" (or atleast a trailer).....Maybe it's denial?

Here are some more pics of my progress along with my original SP for size reference.

I put my slow poke in the pic for a size reference. I am getting more and more excited about seeing this bird grow.

Thanks everyone for your posts and incouragment!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.