Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Help needed: Wing joint / fuselage subdivison

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Help needed: Wing joint / fuselage subdivison

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Multimaniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed: Wing joint / fuselage subdivison

Hello!

I am just working on my first really big project, although it is by far not my first self-designed project. It is a Nakajima G8N1 Renzan ("Rita" ), a 4 engine bomber , 3m / 118" wingspan, weight will be approximately 10kg / 22lb. Today I test printed some formers - a little bigger than I thought [] ...

There are still two questions i do not have an answer yet (my earlyer planes were smaller, so I did not meet these problems!), I hope somebody of you can help me:

- The fuselage is too long (83" ) to fit into my car, so I have to divide it. Has anybody an idea how one can design such a division by achieving an optimum in terms of stability, weight and performance and reliability at the airfield?

- The wings have a dihedral of 3° each side (6° in total), the wing has a thickness of 72mm / 2,83" at the wing root. The joint should be in one piece going through the fuselage, the wing will fit in a "whole" in the fuselage where it meets an inner longitudinal former. How would you design a light and stable wing joint in such a wing and how do you fix the wing safely for flight?

Many thanks!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24806.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	501238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51970.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	501239  
Old 08-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Multimaniac

Default RE: Help needed: Wing joint / fuselage subdivison

Oops, I got the wrong picture!

Name:	Wu62058.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	501240  
Old 08-03-2006, 02:09 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

HOLY COW, Batman If the yellow plane is what you're building, those have got to be really small models of people.. LOL

Seriously: If you have to break the fuselage in half, then by all means, use some 5 -7 ply doublers around the entire circumfrance of the fuse. In fact, the more I think of it, use some 1/4" ply should be suffice. Use some "T" nuts every few inches. In fact, rather than a big blockey cap screw on the outside you can use some furniture flatheads for the outside connection back up together.

1/4-20 shoud be MORE than enough strength

marwen1
Old 08-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Multimaniac

I think reinforcing the fuselage circumference and/or the inner structures is a must. But what are the structures to get a good connection? Would you use three or four steel wires or carbon tubes similar to the usual aluminium tube wing joints?? Or what do you think about a bajonet connector (like e. g. in the Alfa Mig-15)??

regards

Chris
Old 08-04-2006, 04:54 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

NOne of the above --- let me get some of the hardware at a local HOME DEPOT -- I'll shoot some pix of themm -- I'm sure you'll get the idea..

marwen1
Old 08-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Multimaniac

O.K. ...... I am looking forward !
Old 08-05-2006, 03:40 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

How long is 'too long' for your car? If it's just a little too long make the nose removable forward of the noseleg, use the glazing & panel lines as the break lines. If the nose is non structural the fixings can be super simple. As for the wing make it in 2 pieces with an aluminium tube spar/joiner out to the inboard nacelles. I'm assuming, being a bomber, it has bomb bay doors on the bottom. make these hinged to access the fixing bolts, servo leads and air lines if fitting retracts. - John.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Multimaniac

"Too long" is 22" too long... the maximum length that can be loaded into my car is 61", but the fuselage length in total will be 83". In front of the front landing gear I can cut off 13", behind the elevator another 2,5" (which gives access to the rudder servo sitting directly below the rudder), making the fuselage 15,5" shorter - in the end 6,5" too long for the car! - Therefore I need to divide the fuselage somewhere between the wing and the stab. I think I have once more to think about loading techniques. Maybe somehow it will fit in the car...?!?

Or should I buy a bigger car?!? [8D]

At the location where the bomb bay was in the original I foresaw a cover (instead of functional bomb bay doors) which can be fixed by four or six screws for easy access to all the air tubes and electric wires that need to be connected.

regards

Chris
Old 08-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Boomerang1

Maybe you are trying to fit the model in the wrong spot? On the passenger seat with the backrest reclined is my favourite, from the footwell to the back shelf is a very long distance. Or do you drive an MX 5 - John.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Multimaniac

Not an MX5 - "only" a Volvo 440! 16 years old, but paid

That was really an idea I never thought about - simply because I had the requirement that somebody (concretely: my girlfriend!) can sit on the front seat! But you are right, it is possible to get the whole fuselage in when reclining the front seat! I simply need to build a transport device to get it there without damaging all the turrets and guns and antennas...
The only real problem might be the thing with the passenger... []

Thanks for the Idea!

regards

Chris

Name:	Ge94289.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	502328  
Old 08-06-2006, 04:02 AM
Boomerang1

Don't worry about the 'thing' with the passenger. I can assure you your girlfriend will still be able to criticise your driving from behind you. You could say a back seat driver! [sm=lol.gif] Sorry, could not resist!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Multimaniac

Well, that's a point you are ABSOLUTELY right! [8D]
Old 08-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Multimaniac

I was thinking hours of how to do it, now I think I' ve got a suitable idea

A friend of mine who is usually flying big gliders and tow planes uses to produce carbon fibre wing joiners shaped in that way that it rests in the fuselage and the wing halfes are pushed over them. Is VERY stable and light!!

For dividing the fuselage I found a picture of what I am now planning to do in an old magazine. The man there built a giant F7F tigercat with the fuselage part divided over and below the wing in steps. On the upper side, the cutting line is situated about 2" behind the wing root front end and on the lower side it is about 2" from the back end, the wing is first screwed onto the rear half of the fuselage, the whole thing then connected to the front half (there are also used some carbon connectors) which is also screwed the wing finally. In this case I don't even need a removable bomb bay door! (but maybe I will add some mechanics for a bomb bay door or for releasing a mxh-7 "Ohka", the kamikaze-glidebomb...

Thinks this will work well!

regards

Chris