Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

F117 Stealth

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F117 Stealth

My good friend and master builder Bob W regulary goes to the KW Flying Dutchment event in Waterloo, Ontario every fall. This year Bob brought along a F117 Stealth he build from plans. It had not been flow before, so after the day's flying was done, and before the wine tasting, Larry and I worked on it, got it runnning, tried several differnt props and finally got it in the air. The WS of Bob's plane is 42 inches, so getting it off the grass runway took a bit, but once in the air, all three of us were amazed at how well it flew. It was just fantastic. Because it was so unusual, we also drew quite a crowd. Once it was back on the ground, Larry and I both had the same thought - how about a bigger one. After much discussion, Bob agree to build two big ones. He settled on a 72 inch wingspan. Larry had a BME 44 waiting for some aircraft - I bought a Brillelli GT46. Outside of that, Bob built two of them. We picked them up last night - had dinner - and brought them home. The more I check out what Bob did, the more I am amazed at his building skills. Right now, it is at about 16 pounds. I need to add servos, batteries, swithces, prop and spinner. The balance is right on as is, adding everything and moving the batteries will take care of it. Bob took pictures and sent them to the guy who originally made the plans. If there is any interest, I will add photos as I discover what this master builder did.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33168.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	634641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99328.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	634642  
Old 03-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: F117 Stealth

Hi Dan,

I remember you and Bob last year at KW flying rally, i gave you bigger APC prop which got your F117 off the grass field there, it was sure fantastic to see her finally got off the ground and in the air, wow we tried number of times to get her going initially. I am sure this bigger version would out perform little one with no problems, how about adding gyros to ailerons as she is kind very touchy from what i remember.

She looks sweet, can't wait o see her flying also, BTW what happened to little one, is it still around?

Regards,
Sammy

Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Sammy,

The little one is still around - Bob repainted it to match the big ones. A buddy sent a picture of a full scale one and Bob painted both Larry's and mine the same - it is the bottom that is quite unique. If ours fly good, he is going to build one for himself. Larry and I are thinking about getting some auto pilots with the pigeon mode. They are a few bucks, but may be worth it. We are going to concentrate on Bob's plane first, getting all the mixes and balance set up perfect, then duplicate it on the big ones. If all goes well, we will see you again at Kitchener.

Dan
Old 03-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dan,

That sounds really good, you will get to see my scratch built S Connie there to this year, I never thought they would make auto pilot for RC planes but with technology these days anything is possible. Have you guys considered painting belly of one of your F-117s iwith US flag as one squadron or one particular Nighthawk carried?, that would be good though, if i ever owned one of those propjet F117s i would do it with flag on belly or in desert camo scheme just to be different...

Sammy