Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Glass Tape?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
BykrDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass Tape?

Hello;

I'm in the process of building a GeeBee; The plans call for a two inch strip of "glass tape" around the center, where the wings join together.

I take it this is not an adhesive tape that comes on a roll. Is the proper method to cut a two-inch swath of fiberglass cloth, and epoxy it down? If you can help me out, that would be great. Specifically:

- What weight cloth? Wingspan will be 48", AUW around two pounds.

- Can I just pick up the stuff from an auto supply store? They're closer than the hobby shop :^)

Thanks,
BykrDan.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:51 AM
Bish Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass Tape?

Dan,

Not sure what you will find at the Auto part place, but what you need is 12oz material which you can get most any where. You want to use "roving", not "Mat". You can put it down with epoxy or thin Ca. The Ca is probalby the easiest, but it can get real messy. I like to use epoxy.

Bish
K7QCP