Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Will this Engine mount work?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Will this Engine mount work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 04:25 PM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this Engine mount work?

I am building a 20 size plane and due to distance restrictions from the firewall to the cowl opening for the prop, I cannot use any commercially available mount for my Saito 30. My clearance need between the carb assembly and the firewall is too small to fit a backplate of a mount between them.

Based on my diagram below for one side of the mount, will this be sufficient to hold to motor to the plane and give it the strength needed without extraordinary weight gain?

This is just one side of the mount. The other would be a mirror image.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	63897_12989.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	39201  
Old 03-19-2003, 03:20 AM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks OK to me, but I wouldn't use the dowel. It looks very much like a Sig beam mount. Check out their web site.

www.sigmfg.com

BTW, your views are not lined-up.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:54 AM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why dont you use maple mounts drawn like a 30-60-90 triangle epoxied to the fire wall and back up with wood screws from behind or t shaped aluminum beam mounts that bolt to the fire wall sig makes them and at one time there was a glass filled two piece mount made by great planes do not know if stll available.