Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

custom cut parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom cut parts

does anyone know of any businesses that can take your cad files and have them converted into to parts made of balsa. EX. take a cad rib and cut it onto a sheet of balsa.

ty & A
Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: custom cut parts

Do a laser cutter search and you should find some kit cutters that would be able to do this for you. I have heard a lot of good things about a company called Laser Lizard.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:20 PM

Default RE: custom cut parts

I used Manzano - and laser cuts were OK . The burn marks were a bit more than I expected , but then this was my first go a getting laser cuts, and didn't know what to expect. They sand off , so no real problem.

You have to submit cad drawing file which has only the parts you want cutting on the file. To keep cost down, you should find out size of wood they cut - eg balsa 3 or 4" wide by 24" and then layout your parts to fit economically and have grain aligned properly. I think they may do that for you but it will cost extra.

you also need to make allowance for width of cut if you have interlocking parts - I just ensured my spar slots on ribs were a tiny bit undersized on basis it was easier to open up than have too wide. The cutter may also specify whether he wants tabs, (and size ) to retain parts in the sheet ( eg ribs retained in balsa sheet ) or fully cut out. I think this has more to do with packing efficiently and safely for shipment. My parts arrived safely shipped from manzano to florida.

the Manzano web site gives some help on this

John