Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

STOL plans or kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 AM
rcfamdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOL plans or kit

I am looking for plans or a kit that includes leading edge slats and flaps. I have an urge to build the best STOL plane possible. I would also be interested in using carbon fiber or carbon tubes where possible. I have been tempted to cut leading edge slats out of styrofoam and then fiberglass them, but that seems to defeat the purpose because of excessive weight. Please give me your input. I have been building for many years, but mostly have experience with balsa and plywood. I really like to build light. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM
meaden

Default RE: STOL plans or kit

Check out Andy Lennon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Lennon

He did a lot with STOL aerodynamics. Plans, books...I think there is a kit of one of his designs now.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kit is the "Robin" kitted by mosquitobite Planes. www.mosquitobiteplanes.com

papermache
Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was a fellow in Minn or Wisc. states offering extruded plastic of CF slats for ten years now, just for the aircraft noted. Had them in a few sizes, but all 36 inches long. Was like $3 per strip as of late 1990's. He used to have a web site to sell off other products also.

Wm.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:48 AM
David Smith
My Feedback: (1)

How about Peter Russell's STOL from RCM&E in the early 70s? It was revised and re-published about 10 years later as well. I have the build articles and plans here, even got as far as drafting it in TurboCAD (though unfinished) and built the tail. Nice vintage-looking model, all built-up, 48" for a .25 - 40 FS, flaps & slats as standard.

I suspect that the plans will have been published in the US as well, possibly in RCM?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:02 AM
rcfamdoc

Thanks everyone for the input. I will look into the "Robin" kit. I actually have the plans from RCM, but the slats are so small that building them with my fat fingers would be a real challenge. I will look into the carbon fiber slats.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:29 PM
kdc

You should try to get Peter Russells articles on his STOL because he explains different ways of making slots/slats.
The P. Russell STOL plan should be avail from Magicalia the new owners of RCME etc at www.modelflying.co.uk. Plan no is RC1445. You should order a copy of the article too- its extra cost.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM
kdc

The P. Russell STOL Mark2 plan no is RC1445. The original plan (mark 1 I suppose ) was RC1190.

I recall that a later article said there was an error in the plan- the flap bellcranks were shown handed but should operate in the same direction, unlike ailerons.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM
kdc

The Pete Russell STOL was published also by Model Airplane News in the 1970's but is no longer listed.
The MK2 STOL was in RCME October 1983 and had a stronger wing with ailerons. I believe this article actually gave the wrong ( mark 1 )plan number and my previous info was correct.