Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Laser cutter recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:57 PM
cub driver
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser cutter recommendation

Can anyone out there recommend a laser cutting service for a one-off project? Need to have a set of ribs for a biplane laser cut. Just too many to cut by hand. I used Laser Arts several years ago, but I don't think they're doing this kind of work any more. Thanks in advance for any help.
Bob (Cub Driver)
Old 03-01-2008, 11:45 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Laser cutter recommendation

Try Charlotte Aircraft Modeling. Does a great job.

http://www.charlotteaircraftmodeling.com/

J
Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 AM
John 38

I used manzano at http://www.manzanolaser.com/index.html who cut from my own cad generated layouts to keep cost down

Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At top of your forum is a list of fims handling such services. Most are in business today still, but you may talk to a different person at end of the line.

Problem with "One Off" projects is that the set up and conversion is rather pricey. Some firms refuse to quote on these type of projects, for is not a money maker for them. They want a second or third sale to accompany it. Here, have done a few projects leading to parts via Alex at AKM, but then too he prefers multiples. If you can get three sets of parts cut up, sell off one to another person, and keep the second set then you come out better, "cost-wise". But sometines it takes a year to sell off that second set of parts. For others like to see a completed version before buying.

And do not fall for the old "He does a good job" rating. The firms all use good accurate equipment that they did not construct. They buy wood from the place who has cheapest and most appropriate availabe today. I was told several months ago to go to ____ for they had best quality wood, but it was at $5 per sheet. Not the less than $2 that I was used to. Then when it arrives and is split, corners knocked off, damaged in one way or another, etc. it all resembles the last package you got.

Wm.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:25 AM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

CooseBay,

He does do "a great job" and that takes into account wood, turn around time and general customer service. You are correct that they all typically have access to the same equipment but I haven't tried every laser cutter out there. I have tried CAM and he was really responsive and well priced. Maybe I am grumpy this morning but I took a bit of offense....he did ask for recommendations and nobody is forcing him to choose anything. Sharing feedback on vendors is an important part of RCU. I have tried three cutters in total and CAM was the best which is my subjective opinion.

I am curious where the vendor list is?

J
Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Mike Emilio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Does a great job"

For me, , , every one with software and machine capability does a great job.

The only real difference is where the file is coming from.

- If you are supplying it, or
- If you are paying an extra amout for them to generate it for you.

Alot of laser cutters do not get their file from the designers, so they have to create their own file from paper plans.

Some would take the short cut of a rastor to vector conversion. I bought alot of these types of programs, and every one not being totaly reliable. And then you read about how innaccurate a job was cut.

The second MOST important for anything that you buy, is customer SUPPORT.

If you have bad communication problems with anyone:
- not answering, or avoiding questions
- looking for invented reasons to just take your money then cut you off.
- making excuses like my computer crashed or some other real dumb line.

All this aside, I can tell you who gets my money.

Laser Lizard
Old 03-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Adibac

Bob.

If you are willing to pay for the higher cost of shipping from Mexico, I will be glad to help you.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
mcdonald77

I had www.lazer-works.com cut a .91 ductfan short kit and it cost about $100, Eddie was great to work with. All the parts were and wood were exccellent quality.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

John at North East Aerodynamics has cut 100's of kits for me. Been a very satisfied customer.

http://ne-aero.com/