Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Ugly Stik build from internet plans

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Ugly Stik build from internet plans

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Redwulf__34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ugly Stik build from internet plans

Hey Hammerd,
What has you back into it after 30 years? I just finished a scratch built DUS too. Mine was from the Jensen kit plans. It was my first build in 25 or so years. I'm getting back into it as well. My 6 and 3 year old boys are what's getting me back.

sean
Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM
hammerd

Dan. Yes, that's about where I finally put the C.G.(30%) for best flight. Had to add a little weight inside the tail to get there. I drilled an 1/8" hole fwd of the last bulkhead, cut up scrap rod ends, fed them through the hole, then chased it with epoxy to secure them and add additional weight. Then I plugged the hole and touched up the paint.
I experimented a little with props last night, but came to the conclusion the 12-6 works best.
Redwulf__34, I followed your' DUS build. It's one of the factors that made me decide to build one myself.
For me, life just got in the way and my interests changed when I was about 18 years old and I stopped flying. Several times since I've seriously considered getting back in to it, but just never did. This time I jumped in before I could talk myself out of it.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:20 PM
hammerd

Ouch!
Went flying, and missed the runway...by just a hair.[] The landing ended on the runway, but started in the dirt at the approach end. Dropped it right on to a bush growing at the edge of the runway. Oh well.
Took her home and did a repair. Luckily it was limited to the leading edge sheeting, so no covering work was required. I did a flush patch, leaving it slightly low, and filled level with polyester glazing putty. Caught a little bit of the other wingtip also.Think I'll leave the primer spots, adds character.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

you should leave the repair spot in primer make it look like an beat up pickup joking we all have off days flying dont we
Old 07-20-2008, 08:33 PM
DougT

Wow!!!!

That's the nicest Ugly Stick I've seen and the best quality of construction possible That finish and paint look perfect. Please don't tell us if you bury it, I'll start crying.

Congrats on a BEAUTIFUL plane.

Doug

Old 07-28-2008, 07:49 PM
hammerd

Quick update:
I've been trimming and adjusting things. The first flight showed quite a bit of up elevator was required for level flight at cruise and it sank waaaay too fast when the throttle was pulled back for landing. It was also rather squirrelly on takeoffs. First thing I did was verify the wing incidence was set at "zero", as indicated by the plans. It was, so I added 1-1/2 degrees positive incidence (that was all I could get without major surgery to the wing saddle), and that eliminated the up trim required. It now will fly upright and inverted at cruise without no elevator input, and a nice gentle descent with the throttle pulled back.
To get the ground handling under control, I turned the main landing gear leg around, moving the axles back about 3/4". Now the tail comes up at about 1/4 throttle and it steers nicely with the rudder down the runway. I also added a washer under the forward engine mount bolts to give a few degrees right thrust. Much better now.

I know that the changes I made are often times standard fare in a design from the beginning, but weren't in the plans I used, so I didn't deviate during construction.
All in all...she flies really well now. I would suggest anyone building from these same plans consider the changes on theirs.
Now on to the next build. I'll give you a hint...it has two wings.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 AM
CafeenMan

I don't know this plan but I do know a lot of "internet" plans are "air" plans. In other words, drawn but never built. You did a really nice job on yours. It's heart-breaking having your pride and joy get injured but that's one of the things I harp on at my website - paint allows you to make a plan look brand new. Plastic always looks patched unless you add new "trim" to the repaired area to disguise it and that only works once or twice if that.

What's the all-up weight ready to fly? I saw you said 6+ lbs somewhere but I can't imagine it being that light. What's the engine again?

PS. When you build your plane with "two wings" it might be cool to weather it so it looks scale even if it's not. Weathering is fun.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Redwulf__34

Hi hammerd,
The incidence on mine from the old Jensen plans is at zero. I don't have any of the issues you mentioned however my engine is mounted higher than yours. My Jensen plans showed it as high as you could get it on the firewall. I wonder if that makes any difference??????? Either way it worked for you. I'm sure yours is flying great. I love mine, I just need to get a little more power on it and a bit more rudder throw. How many flights have you got on yours now?

Mine is covered with Sig Koverall and painted with Warbird Colors. It came in at about 5.75 pounds.

Sean
Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 AM
CafeenMan

Is this a .45 size or .60 size?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Redwulf__34

Hi ya Cafeen,
I could go for some more cafeen right now by the way! It's a .60 size
Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 AM
hammerd

Redwulf__34, I have almost 20 flights on it now. Not sure if the height of the motor would have any effect or not.
CafeenMan, I agree about paint. Not using plastic to cover it with was a major goal from the start.
I don't have an accurate way to weigh it, but I just checked it again, and using the digital bathroom scale while holding it, and then subtracting my weight, it comes in at 7 lbs. dry. Does that sound about right? It has an O.S. .61.
I'm looking forward to my next build. It will be a scale WWI plane, and weathering it is in the plans.
BTW, I've spent many hours reading and re-reading everything on your' website. Tons of really great information there. Thank you for taking the time to share your' knowledge.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
CafeenMan

hammerd - I've been lurking in this thread for some time now just enjoying seeing your work. But I kept seeing more and more weight being added and frankly, I thought you were building an 11 lb beautiful beast! I think the model could be built to about 5-1/4 to 5-1/2 lbs dry. Basically that would mean lighter wood all around, sanding everything thinner, etc. And probably plastic covering which would be a shame considering your paint skills.

I think you did an excellent job on model as a whole. To me it just needs something to take away a little of the sterility of the perfection of it if you know what I mean. Maybe cut a small cockpit in the wing about 1/2" deep and add a Godzilla or Herr Richthoven or something. A few "bullet holes" airbrushed on the fin. I'm not sure what but you obviously have the skill to pull off - even after the fact - something you'll think of.

Regarding my site: Thanks! It's been a long time since an update but I'm currently building the best stik ever built or designed (but not error-free which is pretty much impossible). First thing I've built for a while and I wanted to work on some of my building skills (joinery, for example) and tune in a design I've been updating for years. Anyway, more about that is for another place.

You now have a problem though. The guys at the field can see what you can do and it's hard to ever go back. Your next model needs to be even better and so on and so forth. Everyone is counting on you! (I just thought this would be a good place to add to the stress in your life).

Regarding motor height: It does make a difference but not a lot. Unless you plan to precision tune the model (which may mean hacking at it) it will be fine where it is. It's not a symmetrical enough airplane anyway so moving the motor might improve one thing while degrading another. I would just get the thrust adjustments right using a trim chart and leave it at that.

When's the flight video coming?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
CafeenMan

I use a digital fish scale for weighing anything my postal scale can't handle (over 3 lbs). I think it's pretty accurate and the measures it gives me repeat consistently. I don't remember how much I paid for it but I think less than $50 and maybe closer to $30. I bought it several years ago at a Walmart I believe. I'm glad I have it.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a postal scale on ebay for US$16.00. The range is from 0 to 30 pounds with a 0.1 oz resolution.

You can find all kind of scales on ebay.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 PM
carlosponti

CaffeenMan I am really hoping you have some good words to say about finishing that biplane you were working on. I was eager to see its completion over a year ago good to hear from you its been a while since you have posted in the forums.

I use a fish scale for weighing all my planes and it was a 25 dollar purchase if i remember correctly.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:11 PM
CafeenMan

That bipe is probably DOA. I didn't like how it was turning out and had already built two pairs of wings for it. Maybe eventually.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:23 PM
iron eagel

Kudos from CaffeenMan is like getting the medal of honor!
You should be proud!

CaffeenMan how is "Wermacht's Scorpion" comming along, my cat would be using me as a scatching post if I kept him waiting this long!

Regards
Paul
Old 07-29-2008, 01:26 PM
CafeenMan

Iron Eagel - That's the plane I was talking about in my last post.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
iron eagel

CafeenMan,
Sorry to hear it may be DOA such beautiful work on it, very gossimer construction on the whole, not to mention very nice looking design (I did not realize it was a Bipe, to busy looking at the pictures).
But I can understand how it happens, I am still messing arround with the vectored thrust design, but it too keeps getting put off.
Still Nice to have the chance to say Hi to you.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM
hammerd

CaffeenMan ,
I appreciate the comments. Yes, I kept overbuilding and saying to myself "it's just a little more weight" [sm=tongue_smile.gif]. But it all adds up!
My next project will include a goal of keeping the weight down at every step and still making it pretty. The finish, while heavier than plastic film, isn't as bad as it looks. I've done bodywork and sprayed these types of paint all my adult life and can produce a pretty descent finish with a minimum of materials.
BTW, I left the primer spots on the bottom of the wings and enjoy doing fly-bys to show them off.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:44 PM
carlosponti

CafeenMan,

too bad about the scorpion looked like a cool build. You were one inspiration I have to scratchbuild.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 PM
iron eagel

hammerd,
For you to put any other finish on a plane would be a sin the way that paint job came out!

I also prefer painted to plastic skin.
Even if only because my film cover jobs just don't look that good...
But your plane looks awesome even with dings, nice build!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:43 PM
hammerd

R.I.P.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh no!!! Radio quit I assume?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 AM
yojoelay

Bugger!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.