Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Ugly Stik build from internet plans

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Ugly Stik build from internet plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ugly Stik build from internet plans

For whatever reason, the more work and TLC one puts into a plane, the shorter its life. Sorry about your plane. On the bright side, now you have an excuse to build a better one.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I got one that looks like that.

Build another its worth it, but before that build another fuse., fix the the wing, add the tail, and fly.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
hammerd

I'm not sure what happened.
I was practicing spins and had done probably a dozen or so, when it just wouldn't recover from one. The only suspicious thing found after the crash was the battery switch connector was not plugged in to the RX. I think it was probably pulled out on impact though, because the fuselage section with the switch was broken loose. I think that pulled it out. After plugging it back in, the radio works.
I'll take everything apart today and do a thorough inspection.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
yojoelay

Did that myself just over a year ago - my spin became a high-speed stall and the plane just mushed into the ground. It looked like the backend was dragging low and next thing it was in the dirt. I haven't done a spin since, so after reading about the loss I decided to get out and have a go for you today. Just got back, managed to do a couple of spins - not very graceful ones but spins none the less.

Sorry again to hear about the plane. What is next?

Joel
Old 08-08-2008, 02:57 PM
hammerd

The spin didn't go flat. She "screwed" in straight vertical. I think that's what your' describing?
I didn't really find anything in the post crash inspection. I did a range check, and it's only half what it should be, but the lead for the satellite RX got pulled out in the impact and the wire is stretched and damaged, so that might account for that. Everything else looks fine. Chalk it up to pilot error I suppose. [sm=red_smile.gif]
Next?... http://www.aerodromerc.com/WWI/Sopwi...ithPup_40t.htm
Old 08-09-2008, 07:20 AM
yojoelay

Interesting. My plane spun but didn't come out either, I pulled elevator in a panic and it went tail down then 'fell' out of the sky. It looked like there was no lift but there was thrust and prop wash over the tail. That is the problem with this sport - too many ways to crash.

Good luck with the next project.

Joel
Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 AM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

I don't know this plan but I do know a lot of "internet" plans are "air" plans. In other words, drawn but never built. You did a really nice job on yours. It's heart-breaking having your pride and joy get injured but that's one of the things I harp on at my website - paint allows you to make a plan look brand new. Plastic always looks patched unless you add new "trim" to the repaired area to disguise it and that only works once or twice if that.

What's the all-up weight ready to fly? I saw you said 6+ lbs somewhere but I can't imagine it being that light. What's the engine again?

PS. When you build your plane with "two wings" it might be cool to weather it so it looks scale even if it's not. Weathering is fun.
Well I really hate to say this but, I am the person that converted the design to CAD format. As for it being an, "Air Plans", quit far from the truth. I built my first stick from the Jenson kit and followed the Jenson design but added a couple of things to bring it up to the then standard. I've built and flown eight (8) other sticks all from the plans presented on the internet. That design was drawn in 1995. Over the years and being passed from website to website the design has changed. There are many others that have built and flown this design over the years and I still get two to three pictures a year from people who have built and flown this model.

I have to agree with you that Plastic always looks patched as my wheel pants into my wings can tell you. Seems wheel pants love to attack the underside of the wing after the gear fails on a gentle landing.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 AM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

hammard, sorry to see you stick go like that. One of the sticks I built over the years had a foam wing with paper covering ( I was experimenting ) and a 1/4" ply dihedral brace in the middle. I flew that plane probably 100 times. On the last flight I had just pulled out of a very gentle loop and nosed up at around 30 degrees to enter a roll when I heard a loud bang and watched as the fuselage travel another 200 feet down the flight line. The two halves of the wing landed several feet in front of me. I'll never forget the words out of my potty mouth. So, on to the next Stick. Back then I was flying at least 4 to 5 days a week buying fuel by the case as it was cheaper to buy 4 gallons the just one. It was a fantastic model to try new products with as it would carry almost anything from cameras to data recorders and I could fly them from almost anywhere.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:01 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: starcad

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

I don't know this plan but I do know a lot of "internet" plans are "air" plans. In other words, drawn but never built. You did a really nice job on yours. It's heart-breaking having your pride and joy get injured but that's one of the things I harp on at my website - paint allows you to make a plan look brand new. Plastic always looks patched unless you add new "trim" to the repaired area to disguise it and that only works once or twice if that.

What's the all-up weight ready to fly? I saw you said 6+ lbs somewhere but I can't imagine it being that light. What's the engine again?

PS. When you build your plane with "two wings" it might be cool to weather it so it looks scale even if it's not. Weathering is fun.
Well I really hate to say this but, I am the person that converted the design to CAD format. As for it being an, "Air Plans", quit far from the truth. I built my first stick from the Jenson kit and followed the Jenson design but added a couple of things to bring it up to the then standard. I've built and flown eight (8) other sticks all from the plans presented on the internet. That design was drawn in 1995. Over the years and being passed from website to website the design has changed. There are many others that have built and flown this design over the years and I still get two to three pictures a year from people who have built and flown this model.

I have to agree with you that Plastic always looks patched as my wheel pants into my wings can tell you. Seems wheel pants love to attack the underside of the wing after the gear fails on a gentle landing.
OK, I didn't know where the plans came from and was just generalizing. Really any plane ought to be able to fly decently if it's straight and the CG is right. I downloaded a whole lot of plans a few years ago just because I could. I looked over several of them and some looked good and some looked like designs by people who didn't know a thing about model planes which is where my comment came from.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 AM
hammerd

I hate sounding like a broken record, the one that instantly blames the radio for a crash...but, I think I might have found the reason for my Ugly Stick's demise. After the crash I did a cursory range check just to determine any damage to the RX, and it failed. I assumed it was the cable between RX's or it was damaged internally. I sent it to Horizon right away.
Well, I went to fly another airplane, set up to use the same TX, and it failed range check also. Now, I don't always do a range check as a part of pre-flight, but I did this time. Maybe in the back of my head I suspected it or I was just being extra cautious after just screwing the Stik in. Anyway, I took the back off the TX and started looking around. I've been told some JR radios (this is a Spectrum) have had a problem with a fuse holder being loose and causing intermittent signal loss, but I couldn't find a fuse. Then I saw the attachment of the antenna wire to the PC board. It's a small swiveling connector with the antenna lead crimped/soldered in to it. Well, the lead was practically falling out of the connector! Now, this radio has always barely passed the range test recommended by Spectrum, but hey it passed and I never had a problem. Until now. I assume the lead finally worked it's way out enough and the planets all aligned correctly to convert my Stik back to parts.
I sent it in yesterday. Fortunately I have another TX of the same type and I can use it until the other one gets back. BTW this TX range checks fine.
Starcad, thanks for making the plans available. I had a great time building her.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:08 PM
SKYHI1

Hammerd,

Just curious, none of my business and all that! But, why aren't you building another Stick? I have seven planes right now. And every couple of weeks I have to grab one of my Sticks. I have two right now. One with a flat wing and one with 3/4" dhydral in the wing.

Whatever you build next, please post your build. I enjoyed watching your skilled labor turn into a great plane. You do nice work!

Frank
Old 08-13-2008, 10:11 PM
hammerd

"Just curious, none of my business and all that! But, why aren't you building another Stick?"
Been there, done that. I need to build something different to keep my interest.

Here's a peak at what I'm working on now. Dummy engine. As soon as I have the airframe started, I'll start a build thread for it.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 AM
yojoelay

You've got a serious problem. I thought I had a problem, but that engine, it looks like you've got a terminal case of build-a-holism.

With care and treatment you should be able to manage this issue. Good luck, you're not alone.

Stop by if you're ever in Australia.

Joel
Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

where at in nevada are you from hammerd. my parents live in las vegas. they were telling me about a club out there that has been there for sometime that the builders in the area are trying to run off because of the noise after they built a bunch of homes around the club. and being that i am in rc my dad thought it was unfair the club was being pressured to leave when they were there first.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:18 PM
hammerd

Joel, we could start a support group. Maybe we can get a discount at the hobby shop.

carlosponti, Yes, I'm in Las Vegs and I fly at the field you're talking about. It's pretty much just one woman that's been on a 3 year quest to shut the field down. She doesn't have any real support from the other homeowners, but seems to have the city councils' ear somehow.[sm=71_71.gif]
Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
SKYHI1

Very cool! I look forward to seeing it.

Good luck
Frank
Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

I have attempted from several locations to download the plans for this plane. The plans download find but when I open the two different files they are major difference in scale. I use TURBO CAD 2D which has served me well for a long time. The file for wing come out with wing former somewhere in the range of 2000 inches in lenght. I have rescaled the drawing to withing a fraction and hope it will work out. Is this just a problem I have or has anyone else had same or similar problem.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 PM
mmattockx

I don't remember scaling issues when I opened it, but was one saved in imperial and one in metric? That happens so often that the first thing I do is try scaling by 25.4 without even thinking about it. If you can open AutoCAD 2007 drawings or dxf, PM me your email and I can send you a good set of the drawings.

Mark
Old 08-15-2008, 02:52 AM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Thanks for your help, sent my Email to you by PM. thanks again
Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
hammerd

Final low pass, inverted.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Redwulf__34

Nice!
Hey hammerd, check out the [link=http://www.gundersonaerodesign.com/products/shortkits/burton/]Spirit Of Pitts[/link]. PDF plans for a 26% Pitts M12 are free from that link. I just got them via PDF in my e-mail. Looks very very very nice. Your skills are up to this task. Take a look, I think you will like it.

Sean
Old 08-16-2008, 02:34 AM
ramon54321

Hi guys.

I just came accross this build and it is AWSOME [X(]. I would just like to know if you actually covered the fuselarge (that is sheeted) with a covering material aswell and what covering material did you use. Im sorry to ask but im new.[:-] Sorry to hear about the crash but you definetally made a good decision not to dump it but to put it on the wall. Real Nice!

Thanks in advance.
Ramon
Old 08-16-2008, 04:01 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: hammerd

"Just curious, none of my business and all that! But, why aren't you building another Stick?"
Been there, done that. I need to build something different to keep my interest.

Here's a peak at what I'm working on now. Dummy engine. As soon as I have the airframe started, I'll start a build thread for it.

That's a really cool looking can! What's that thing in front of it?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:43 PM
hammerd

CafeenMan, That's a Le Rhone powered koozie, to keep my soda cool. Still in early development. I'm working out the bugs now, I keep cutting my forehead with the prop.

ramon54321, The fuselage is covered with the dress liner material also.

Redwulf__34, Pitts looks pretty good, maybe down the road someday. Thanks for the link.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:40 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

To bad about your plane it was a beauty. I have been redisigning the wing to use foam board ribs. I between all the scale projects I just might build this. Inspiration, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.