Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Randy Randolph's DIME

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Dsegal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Randy Randolph's DIME

I may have set a record for the shortest flight test program: two flights and off with the wing. This is Randy Randolph's DIME from the October, 1991 issue of Model Aviation. It is a 3-channel design and I have a .15 engine in it. I was looking for a relaxing flyer, and this is certainly slow enough, but the rudder turns are not smooth. So after two flights I decided to add ailerons.

What agony- pulling off a good covering job and getting out the saw to break apart the wing panels- Aaargh! But it all went quickly. With ailerons I no longer needed the upswept tips of the stock design so the tips were reset at right angles to the end ribs. The rib ends were cut off and a sub trailing edge added. The ailerons are built up of sheet balsa. The wing was re-joined with 1 degree of dihedral for each side. The modifications added about 4 ounces weight. Hinges on all control surfaces are made from Ultracote. Wingspan is 50" and total weight is 41 ounces.

Now I had smoother turns and nice slow fly-bys - perfect for a senior citizen like me. Adding some aileron differential eliminated the need to coordinate rudder in turning. Loops are nice and the rolls are v-e-r-y slow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51787.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1057605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89113.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1057606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54760.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1057607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65524.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1057608  
Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Randy Randolph's DIME

Nicely done conversion.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Dsegal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Randy Randolph's DIME

I have just discovered that LazerWorks sells a parts package for the DIME: http://lazer-works.com/index.html