Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Hiperbipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Joe Mountford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiperbipe

I am attempting to design a 50" span Sorell Hipebipe, can anyone tell me what incidence I should have on the wings (if any) and how do I work out the incidence on any biplane, I have designed and built a 42" span sports bipe which flies very well, it takes more distance than I would like to get off and this is built with no incidence at all, could this be the reason it takes up to much runway. Joe
Old 12-21-2008, 01:17 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hiperbipe

Because the top wing is on top and behind the CG, you want it to stall last so it will pitch over in the stall. The difference between it and a Beach Staggerwing is the the fuse is a lifting body on the Hyperbipe and it is more of a hard core aerobatic plane. I would have the top wing at 0 and the bottom at +1 or in that direction. BUilding it at 0 would probably ok but I would be careful testing the stalls.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:22 PM
AJRCUSTOMCRAFTEDRC
My Feedback: (70)

the Hiperbipe is a great plane to fly i have built three sizes of this plane. i have built them all with o incidence from nose to tail and they fly great with no bad habits. you will love this plane
but do not go with it nose heavy it does not like it,and keep it light. keep it at or below 1 pound
per 100 sq". good luck. anthony
Old 12-21-2008, 02:25 PM
jjscott

The Stan Hines Hyperbipe plans show 0 degrees in the top wing and 1/8" positive in the lower wing (7" chord). The motor looks to be zero; the tail is zero.

Jim
Old 12-21-2008, 03:12 PM
AJRCUSTOMCRAFTEDRC
My Feedback: (70)

i have some plans and info for the hiperbipe
anthony
Old 12-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Joe Mountford

Guys thank you so very much, it always amazes me when I ask for help in these forums just how helpful people are. Joe
Old 12-27-2008, 06:07 AM
Joe Mountford

Anthony could you possibly post some info from your plan such as, wingspan, fus length + width and depth, tail plane span,cord of tail plane, tail fin height plus cord, with this info I can draw up larger plans to suit, hope this is not to much trouble. Joe
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I have been looking for a set of hyperbipe plans.a former rc friend built one over 20 years ago and I even think it was somewhat bigger than the 50 inch span but I would love tobuild one desperately.a very cool design and extremely aerobatic and most of all unquie! can anyone help..
Old 01-08-2009, 11:27 AM
arp67
My Feedback: (55)

I think I can help you!!

I have a set of Hiperbipe plans designed by Phil Moore that were distributed by the Nexus Plans Service which is no longer in business. The wingspan is approximately 60" and the fuse length is around 54" (from tip of spinner). I have the plans sitting in front of me now. Calls for a .60 2-stroke engine. I have access to a large format copier and would be more that happy to make a copy of the plans (for a small fee) and mail them to you or anyone else interested since there is no other way to get these plans. Let me know.

Andrew
Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: arp67
...since there is no other way to get these plans.
Actually, there might be. Most of the Nexus stuff can now be found here: http://www.xlistplans.demon.co.uk/
Old 01-09-2009, 10:34 AM
arp67

I searched that site and cannot find a listing for the Hiperbipe. It might be worth calling or emailing them to verify for sure.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 PM
pminnick
My Feedback: (6)

http://www.myhobbystore.com/1512/Col...iperbipe-.html
Old 01-10-2009, 03:46 PM
arp67

Thanks pminnick!

Great find.....I will have to bookmark this site for their model plans.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 PM
cloudancer03

anyone got some great pics of the bipe?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
pminnick
My Feedback: (6)

Tried to post some, but they didn't show???

Anyways. I have a .40 size MK kit NIB waiting to be built. Lots of carving for the nose. Anyone know of a larger version?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:21 PM
cloudancer03

talk to customcrafted about a fiberglass cowl.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Here's my rendition of a Hiperbipe. It's built from scaled up plans from the MK kit. Span is 62.5 in. I'm hoping it comes in under 11 lbs. believe I scaled it up to 150% and I used 150% wood sizes also, which I don't think was necessary. It's been in this condition for years. I'm hoping this is the year that I finish her. Only time will tell.

First saw a Hiperbipe at Oshkosh about 1977. Here was a Cabin Bipe that looked like a big balloon with that wide Fuse. And it was flown beautifully, and sooo smooth right down on the deck knife edge passes etc. I wanted to build one ever since. Here it is, I just hate to cover.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69103.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1110750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46467.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1110751  
Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 PM
arp67

Very nice Champ-RCU!

How did you fabricate the cowling?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Here are a few sites with good color schemes:
http://www.goflyrc.com/projects/Hiperbipe/hiperbipe.htm
http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=G-HIPE&u=reg
http://www.aerofiles.com/sorrell-hiper.jpg
http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/acft3/76.htm
http://www.rcplans.nl/RC%20foto-albu...ipe_Yellow.jpg
http://www.airventure.de/schaffen-di...st2004_028.jpg
Dave
Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 PM
cloudancer03

nice job and great looking pics.I cant wait to build one.I am making mine a 68 inch ws and plan to use my satio 150 .I love the color schemes and that has given me some ideas as well. what a sharp looking aerobatic bipe.fun fun fun.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

arp67,

Glued a bunch of blocks toegther and removed everything that I thought didn't look like a Hiperbipe Cowl. I then covered with 3/4 oz. fiberglass and epoxy, followed by fillers and primer.

Looking to put an OS 120 FS in it. But I'm thinking I will want more Power-arrgh arrgh.

The only thing that makes me scratch my head is, how effective will that Verticle stab and little rudder be?

Mark
Old 01-31-2009, 01:00 PM
kdc

Previously it was stated that Phil Moores design was no longer available from Nexus. Nexus/ Argus/Highbury/ Magicalia/Encanta ( that is RCME and Radio Modeller & Aeromodeller) have becom MyHobbystore & are still available from www.myhobbystore.com in England. This plan is RM197 and the smaller David Boddington design is RC1414

X-List plans are just those plans that were discontinued by Nexus etc. The majority of Radio Modeller and RCME plans are still listed by MyHobbyStore
Old 02-02-2009, 04:37 PM
fredmills

Hi from sunny spain,though not at th moment.I have a 2mtr span hiperbipe just about ready to fly,but i am a little uncertain as to the best CG position for first flights.By my calcs the datum position comes out at 46% of mean aerodynamic chord.This may be fine when i am a bit more familiar with its handling characteristics,but for first flight I think it should be closer to 25%. However, reading other peoples comments,if it is too far forward there may be unexpected pitch problems.I have installed a tartan twin 44cc which runs fine,and the all-up weight is in the order of 22lbs. Can you offer me any help or advice, Best regards. FRED
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
petronio

HOla paisano!

How about some pics if you dont mind? With regard to your question, as far as I know, if the wing form is the same, i.e. if both wings have the same wingspan and chord, you treat both as one "longer" wing, it is to say just calculate your CG as your wing started from the leading edge of the most forward wing till the trailing edge of the most rear. I would say you take about 30% of the whole measure. Anyway, the design on the wing and the fuselage is very forgiving so as long as your CG is within a reasonable limit I would not worry too much about it, Im sure you will do well.

ps: where are you located?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:29 AM
fredmills

Hi petronio,nice to hear from you.I have got two problems at the moment,well three really.1 only had the computer for a few months,and I am not very PC literate,and 2 dont know how to load pics onto this forum.3 Even if I did,my digi camera is not available at the moment,maybe I will have it back in a couple of weeks.I did not build the HIPER,but inherited it from a friend as a maiden flight damaged unit.It did not have the tartan engine and I believe it may have been under -powered.Also,I think it was scratch-built as there was no plan,so all the rebuild was from copying the structure of the original pieces.I have had it in my possesion for nearly 20 years and have managed to gather quite a bit of "gen" during that time, so now that I am retired I can devote a bit more effort into getting it airborne. Fingers crossed.I live in La Romana,a small village about 18 km inland from Elche, and belong to the ASPE club. (by the way,Duncan Hutson,Scale designer and international competition winner has recently joined our club)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.