Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scanning large images

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 09:39 PM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scanning large images

Hi Wm.

Points well taken. There are obviously many ways to skin a cat.

As for your question, "How do you scan the fuselage from a 39 inch by 108 inch plan?" The way we handle the larger parent images is to take the original to our local Engineering Store and have a PMT shot. The resulting image can be scaled to whatever is most convienient for our scanner to handle during the process. The PMT is exceptionally accurate (it's shot on Kodak film) and very clear. There are no lineweight issues which are common with xerox enlargements plus, we can affix a reference scale to the parent image before the PMT is made. It's not very expensive either. A 36" x 60" parent image reduced to aa 11" x 14" PMT is about $12. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Craig
Old 03-23-2002, 03:17 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scanning large images

Craig

I think you are dating yourself by using such terms as a PMT. I don't think too many readers understand what one is. Had many of these made up 15 years ago when I was making up model A/C decals. Your PMT prices are about 1/2 that of the sole surviving local shop now capable around here. A half-size image is just shy of $80 plus taxes.

The 38.5 inch wide material as I understand is popular with the offset printing trade. So many old plans got to be done to offset paper sizes, not standard or engineering sizes. We tried folding a 39 inch plan once but it kept on making a turn as it went through the rollers. Once left, next time to the right.

Last year I found that 48 inch wide scanners were made via three companies at present. In contacting the manufacturers, they would sell me one, but not tell me who was using one of their machines, except for a firm in another time zone. I was hoping to take my old plans there and get them scanned, and thus save me some conversion time. Wish I could find a sneaky way of locating a frim with one of these extra-large machines.

Wm.