Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Connecting Wing Half to Fuselage

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Connecting Wing Half to Fuselage

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 06:24 PM
Keno-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting Wing Half to Fuselage

I'm looking for proven design concepts for attaching a built up wing half to the side of the fuselage. I've been exploring the use of aluminum wing tubes and sockets as a means to connect the wing to the side of fuselage, but I'm a point were I need help with the details. Specifically, how to best build up and reinforce the side of the fuselage, how to make the wing removable and how long to make the tube within the wing. I'm trying to avoid over-engineering this vital connection with the final objective of having ther best weight to strength ratio. I would really like to see various successful designs including the the use of composite materials. If possible, please share with the group a CAD drawing of the of wing/ fuselage area, so we all can see your design ideas.

I would be interested in working with members of the discussion group to create a best design practices with the understanding that there is always more than one way to accomplish a design objective . I've downloaded from the Topflite website their PDF contruction manuals for most of their models in which have gained several useful design concepts. http://www.top-flite.com/

All ideas are appreciated.

Keno
Old 03-25-2002, 08:22 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug-in wings

This is a common method of wing attachment for Pattern and other RC airplanes, so you could check various Pattern-oriented web sites for info.

Gator RC sells wing tubes, sockets, and instructions, in several sizes.

I've attached an image of an aerobatic design of mine that uses plug-in wings. The greenish tube in the fuselage center is made of fiberglass, and serves both as a socket and as a fuselage cross-member, for strength. It's reinforced at the fuselage sides by two 1/8th-inch plywood "donuts", epoxied to the fuselage sides and the socket with milled fiberglass as a filler, for strength. Not shown in the image are the commonly used small (1/4" or smaller) alignment pins, near the leading and trailing edge of the wing.

In this case, the wing span is 68 inches, and the fuselage is 5 inches wide. The wing tube is 7/8" aluminum, and is 24 inches long, seating into carbon fiber or phenolic tube sockets in the wings. That means that (subtracting the fuselage width) there are 9 1/2 inches of tube in each wing. Thus, that's how long the sockets are in the wings. It's a setup I've used on several planes, and is quite strong. Using a carbon fiber wing tube, instead of aluminum, would result in an even lighter structure.

Each wing socket is supported by three 1/8" plywood "half ribs" epoxied into the foam wing. With a built up wing, just cut appropriately-sized holes in the affected ribs. These ribs should probably be reinforced with doublers or light ply.

Several methods can be used to hold the wings in place. Some people attach small "eyehooks" to the inboard faces of the wing root, and then use several rubber bands to connect the left and right wing, holding them in place. Or, you could put small hardwood blocks in the wings themselves, at the root, then use nylon bolts to hold the wings on. If you do that, add something such as a small piece of 1/64" ply to the fuselage side (inside) to prevent the bolt heads from damaging the inside face of the fuselage. This could be a "doubler", or just a small piece of 1/64" plywood.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6870_2519.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	4836