Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Water base polyurethane for cowl construction ?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Water base polyurethane for cowl construction ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 04:56 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water base polyurethane for cowl construction ?

I will be ready to do my cowl shortly. I had planned on doing it via the "Lost Foam" method with finishing resin and 2 oz glass cloth (3 layers). I have been hearing about all the "good" stuff from using water based polyurethane on 3/4 oz cloth for wings - will that work with 3 layers of 2 oz cloth over a foam mold for use as a cowl ? I plan on using a 2 stroke 61 and the engine will be totally enclosed in the cowl, including the muffler (I will have to cut for air flow and for
heat release).

Is this a good idea ? Has anyone ever done a cowl this way ? If it is a good idea (for strength and rigidity) will using gasoline to remove the foam damage the cowl ?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2002, 01:25 PM
Ollie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl

Polyurathane cures by evaporation. This makes it a poor choice for structures such as cowls. Use a good laminating epoxy.

The layup schedule depends on the shape and size of the cowl as well as the desired stiffness and mounting method. The beauty of the lost foam method is that you can do a trial layup, remove the foam and check the stiffness before final finishing. If the results aren't stiff enough, you can add a few layers of light cloth before final finishing.

BTW, I don't use solvents to remove the foam. I pulverise it mechanically and sand off the residue. It's easier than you might think and not as messy, smelly, expensive or likely to interfere with adding more glass cloth.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:09 PM
aircav82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water base polyurethane for cowl construction ?

I tryed using two layers of heavy glass cloth and water based poly. The cowl was not near stiff enough. I think the epoxy would have been a better choice. Now i have to carve another cowl.